FedEx has just released its fiscal Q4 financial

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
not to get too far off track, but I'm just curious - has this thread become an official urinating contest yet, or are we still working up to it?... just need to know for scoring purposes. Thanks!

FedEx916

not to get too far off track, but I'm just curious - has this thread become an official urinating contest yet, or are we still working up to it?... just need to know for scoring purposes. Thanks!

Good question.. I'll print up the scorecards if you want... What would you say, scoring based on volume, distance, color and duration?

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

Do what i do. I use WADS. Work as directed, safely. I go 7mph in school zones. I drive 20mph in 25, 30 in 35, and 55 in 65. I never walk faster than a medium pace. I always spell names right. Never park in a fire zone, handicap, etc. I miss business windows (1700) and bring back business DNAs on a monthly basis. Ive been doing this for two years and have been threatened by management and contractor. I have yet to be fired. I will not under any circumstances endanger the public. I could care less if they can me. I enjoy chatting with customers. Im salaried, and if I notice myself weaving in the road because im tired early in the morning, ill pull my sprinter over and take a 45 minute nap. the life of a ground driver is easy, as long as you don't G.A.friend.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Hey, I could piss-on MT3 from at least 15 feet away. bbsam can only make it 10 feet.

xfdxgroundmgmt

For one, the argument is FedEx bought and built ground in the beginning from the profits of express. That's fact. Secondly it's stated right there in the financial report, the write off for new planes and the buyouts came from express profits. And these are the reasons for the 0% margin.

I think your missing some information here!
Prior to the merger of Caliber System and Federal Express, RPS dropped RoadWay Express(Yellow - Roadway), acquired Roberts Express(FDX Custom Critical), Viking Freight(FDX Freight), started Caliber logistics(FDX Logistics) and was in the process of starting RPS Home Delivery(FDX Home Delivery. Yes Federal Express had piles of cash because until that point they were sticking to running one business that was good at creating a windfall of money. Yes Express was able to pump money into RPS to accelerate some of the growth that was already taking place prior to the merger. Federal Express could not have come close to upstarting it's own ground network, so to purchase a ground network that also came with contractors and not employees was a steal. The funny thing here is that Ground with all it's crappy contractors, crappier tattooed drivers etc., etc. Keep taking market share away from UPS. Look at the growth of Ground prior to the merger and since the merger almost always double digit #'S(Do the research yourselves)!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The reputation of Fedex will continue to erode with the expanding Ground Opco.
You can't take a bunch of mostly criminals, drug addicts and high school dropouts and give them the keys to a Ground truck and expect to keep a "Federal Express" type reputation, advertising dollars can only do so much.

I'll be the first one to say that Ground drivers in this area sometimes have a few issues with image and professionalism, though nothing major. With that out of the way, can you anti-Ground zealots explain why Ground keeps increasing its market share if its drivers are as bad as you say they are?

Either you're exaggerating, most customers don't really care who hands them a box, or both.

TUT

can you anti-Ground zealots explain why Ground keeps increasing its market share if its drivers are as bad as you say they are?

Either you're exaggerating, most customers don't really care who hands them a box, or both.

They don't want to except the obvious that markets are determining the reduction of express and increase towards ground. Now is there any shenanigans? Perhaps some, but overall it's the market talking and without Ground there would have been even more severe cuts to Express, to the point they would be like a Borders or Blockbuster or Best Buy.... Hanging on for so long, before closing doors or being a shell of itself. They needed the full range of services, it's non even sanely debatable. To me there is no reason for a Express driver to have issue with a Ground Driver or vice versa, but several here have seemed to take that on. Damn, it's just people trying to support their own. Attacking the 1%'ers I get. Fighting with ourselves at the bottom.... big mistake.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They don't want to except the obvious that markets are determining the reduction of express and increase towards ground. Now is there any shenanigans? Perhaps some, but overall it's the market talking

No argument there. People aren't going to pay a premium for expedited service when they don't need it, nor will they pay big money on a 90 mile overnight trip when a much cheaper option is available.

To me there is no reason for a Express driver to have issue with a Ground Driver or vice versa, but several here have seemed to take that on. Damn, it's just people trying to support their own. Attacking the 1%'ers I get. Fighting with ourselves at the bottom.... big mistake.

I think it's funny, at least here. To hear some of the Express couriers here tell it, you'd think that there is a world of difference between the job duties of a Ground driver and an Express courier, but Express couriers could easily do the jobs of high level executives.

Many moons ago, I worked in radio. The guys there were raising hell about how the suits were killing music radio by gutting the live talent in favor of voice-tracking and getting rid of tech folks in favor of automation. The listener never noticed and it saved tons of money. Once the listeners found out, they didn't care. Just have the DJ sound entertaining and play good music. That was supposed to kill music radio but it never did.

The same goes for Ground. Whatever you give up in quality is made up by saving money. Most people don't care. People can argue and complain about it, but it won't change the math.

Last edited:

vantexan

No argument there. People aren't going to pay a premium for expedited service when they don't need it, nor will they pay big money on a 90 mile overnight trip when a much cheaper option is available.

I think it's funny, at least here. To hear some of the Express couriers here tell it, you'd think that there is a world of difference between the job duties of a Ground driver and an Express courier, but Express couriers could easily do the jobs of high level executives.

Don't paint us all with a broad brush. It's their company, how they choose to run it is their business. Some here seem to think a union can force FedEx to run the company the way the employees want. It's a travesty that they have created a division that expects productivity with no reward, and are pushing Express towards the same. But as long as they have takers for those jobs then they are paying what the market will bear. My beef is and always will be that they terminated our pension and slowed our pay progression to almost nothing, all the while telling us they can't afford this and that. And now Fred is claiming they'll almost double profits. Yes, it's a hard world. And greedy money grubbers aren't making it better.

P.S. I've worked with over 60 ops and senior mgrs over the years. There were only a couple I couldn't run circles around as a courier. I don't presume to know what an executive's job does. But the attitude from their end seems to be they can do the exact same job with anyone off the street, no experienced required, with the right system. As someone who used to care very much about this company that just sticks in my crawl. If anything causes this company to crash and burn it'll be the arrogance of management, and they've certainly demonstrated in the past they're capable of very costly mistakes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Many moons ago, I worked in radio. The guys there were raising hell about how the suits were killing music radio by gutting the live talent in favor of voice-tracking and getting rid of tech folks in favor of automation. The listener never noticed and it saved tons of money. Once the listeners found out, they didn't care. Just have the DJ sound entertaining and play good music. That was supposed to kill music radio but it never did.

The same goes for Ground. Whatever you give up in quality is made up by saving money. Most people don't care. People can argue and complain about it, but it won't change the math.

God, what a freaking weasel. If you were actually a courier instead of a corporate lackey, you'd know that there is a world of difference between the Express courier job and the Ground driver job. While it's true that the market has dictated a shift away from Express services, most of that shift is due to internal moves by FedEx itself to shift packages to the more profitable opco.

The truth is that Ground is a rag-tag outfit of misfits and fly-by-night contractors, who all coalesce together into a smarmy goo that delivers packages cheaply. Why is that, lackey-boy? Because they pay crap wages and offer zero benefits, and that creates a company that offers cheap package delivery, utilizing marginal throwaway employees. It's a huge scam, but people like you embrace it because it is a cash cow. And your radio "analogy" makes no sense whatsoever. Hey, MT3 says he needs a foot massage. Chop, Chop Dano Boy...Uncle Mattie wants you.

STFXG

Haha I wish I would've heard that before I incorporated years ago. Smarmy Goo Inc would look incredible on my contracts!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Dano you're so full of BS and your bit about radio listeners not noticing anything is way off. Go back to waxing Fred's limo.

fedupped

Ground is great. Thanks for my Weber sir. I didnt have to sweat the delivery time too much. But what about the people waiting to finalize a very expensive contract sitting in a room with no documents. Ground dont have no commitment. We are both needed. And we will both be here in the end.