FedEx RTD

It will be fine

I’m not betting against it. Just saying any semi driver that’s nervous about self driving trucks doesn’t need to be. Our grandchildren’s grandchildren will be driving trucks... man on Mars is more likely.
Well we know robots can fly to Mars by themselves. There’s even a robot helicopter flying around there right now.

Star B

White Lightening
Well we know robots can fly to Mars by themselves. There’s even a robot helicopter flying around there right now.
Robots that fly to mars that miss their target by 3 feet don't get sued by Dewey Cheetem and Howe.

Additionally -- look at the millions spent on redundancy on those items. We wont see it down on Earth for a long, long time.

I'd start being worried when freight trains go conductorless with remote live feeds of the track in front of them and/or computer-vision AI making safety decisions. Until then...... I think we'll be safe.

Aquaman

Robots that fly to mars that miss their target by 3 feet don't get sued by Dewey Cheetem and Howe.

Additionally -- look at the millions spent on redundancy on those items. We wont see it down on Earth for a long, long time.

I'd start being worried when freight trains go conductorless with remote live feeds of the track in front of them and/or computer-vision AI making safety decisions. Until then...... I think we'll be safe.
Start worrying when they begin interstate construction to accommodate self driving trucks. Even then you’ll have 60 years before constructions complete lol.

Aquaman

Seen it. Like I said. Perfectly sunny day. On perfectly flat road. Backing into a spot with nothing near it. Not even close to real life. Throw a coyote or deer out in front of it. Let’s see it go to work then. Cute display of nothing. Put an inch of snow on the road that covers the lines and it’s not gonna move.

Last edited:

Serf

If these things get up and running on our lifetime, think of how many ppl will first have to be killed or maimed in the name of it being full go operational.

Star B

White Lightening
Th
Seen it. Like I said. Perfectly sunny day. On perfectly flat road. Backing into a spot with nothing near it. Not even close to real life. Throw a coyote or deer out in front of it. Let’s see it go to work then. Cute display of nothing. Put an inch of snow on the road that covers the lines and it’s not gonna move.
There's a bunch of the United States where that would make sense but even then there are thousands of miles of railroad that has less obstacles than self-driving trucks.

Or let's put this away how many years have we been thinking about flying cars and drones delivering stuff.

MAKAVELI

The technology is there. It's only a matter of time.

MAKAVELI

The technology for perfect conditions is there. And even then, a driver has to be present. Truck drivers in the year 2150 can worry.
I don't think truck drivers will have to worry but they will need to adjust to the technology and loss of jobs in the future.

MAKAVELI

"trucks will be able to operate without a human driver under limited conditions that may include time of day, weather, or premapped routes"
And that's probably all the law will allow at this time. The fact is so much is being invested into this technology it's going to come up faster than people realize.

Nolimitz

Im driving the newest sprinter at fedex, When in cruise control, it takes about 5 snow flakes to disable all the sensors and ur back to manual control. this tech is still way out there. I like some of the sensor controls when they work but any adverse conditions shut them off in a heart beat.

MAKAVELI

Im driving the newest sprinter at fedex, When in cruise control, it takes about 5 snow flakes to disable all the sensors and ur back to manual control. this tech is still way out there. I like some of the sensor controls when they work but any adverse conditions shut them off in a heart beat.
The Sprinters technology is nowhere near the technology of self driving cars and trucks.