FedEx RTD

Aquaman

Im driving the newest sprinter at fedex, When in cruise control, it takes about 5 snow flakes to disable all the sensors and ur back to manual control. this tech is still way out there. I like some of the sensor controls when they work but any adverse conditions shut them off in a heart beat.
Exactly. We’re so far away from even driving electric tractors and here these guys are talking about self driving trucks. They clearly don’t hold class A CDL’s or they’d know how ridiculous it is. At some point in the distant future, sure. But like I said we’re talking hundreds of years. There are going to be diesel tractors driven by human drivers for a LONG LONG time. Show me whatever video of perfect highway conditions you want. It ain’t happening.

MAKAVELI

Exactly. We’re so far away from even driving electric tractors and here these guys are talking about self driving trucks. They clearly don’t hold class A CDL’s or they’d know how ridiculous it is. At some point in the distant future, sure. But like I said we’re talking hundreds of years. There are going to be diesel tractors driven by human drivers for a LONG LONG time. Show me whatever video of perfect highway conditions you want. It ain’t happening.
Bro you have no clue, class A or not. Lol

vantexan

How many computers have you used that work 100% of the time? How much failure is acceptable when pulling 80k lbs at 60 mph?
You don't see redundant systems in place to insure safe driving? Think they'll just install some iffy system and wing and a prayer it? In this litigious society? Human error results in many tractor-trailer deaths. Knew a very nice couple who ran a restaurant in New Mexico. They were coming home from vacation on I-40 in Arizona when a trucker fell asleep and literally ran over them. No, I don't want to see millions of drivers lose their jobs. But can't get across to some here they're developing artificial intelligence that will eventually operate a truck better than a human. Without human emotion or fatigue factored in. I pointed out to Aquaman the development in technology and he immediately went to engines. I was talking about technological advances in all sectors in the last 50 years. The amount of money saved by doing this will make it happen. Automation is coming, tens of millions will be displaced, and our society will look very different in 10-20 years.

It will be fine

You don't see redundant systems in place to insure safe driving? Think they'll just install some iffy system and wing and a prayer it? In this litigious society? Human error results in many tractor-trailer deaths. Knew a very nice couple who ran a restaurant in New Mexico. They were coming home from vacation on I-40 in Arizona when a trucker fell asleep and literally ran over them. No, I don't want to see millions of drivers lose their jobs. But can't get across to some here they're developing artificial intelligence that will eventually operate a truck better than a human. Without human emotion or fatigue factored in. I pointed out to Aquaman the development in technology and he immediately went to engines. I was talking about technological advances in all sectors in the last 50 years. The amount of money saved by doing this will make it happen. Automation is coming, tens of millions will be displaced, and our society will look very different in 10-20 years.
Nah. The tech will be supplemental to the driver not replacing.

Aquaman

The goal is to replace the driver. It will eventually happen.
You know nothing. Majority of accidents are caused by people in cars. They’ll automate cars decades and decades before semis are even talked about. You think because a developer creates tech that things are close lol. You probably worry about that FedEx robot that delivers envelopes replacing couriers. Even once the tech is perfected. And I mean flawless. It’ll be 50 years at least before shipping companies are fully utilizing it. FedEx is focused on going carbon neutral in the next 20-50 years. Like I said electric trucks are next. And they’re a long way off. Like a long long way off. You can drive across the country and not see one electric or hybrid tractor. But you’re right.... change is coming fast. Beware all tractor trailer drivers. Your jobs are in jeopardy. They haven’t even replaced McDonald’s cashiers yet lol.

MAKAVELI

You know nothing. Majority of accidents are caused by people in cars. They’ll automate cars decades and decades before semis are even talked about. You think because a developer creates tech that things are close lol. You probably worry about that FedEx robot that delivers envelopes replacing couriers. Even once the tech is perfected. And I mean flawless. It’ll be 50 years at least before shipping companies are fully utilizing it. FedEx is focused on going carbon neutral in the next 20-50 years. Like I said electric trucks are next. And they’re a long way off. Like a long long way off. You can drive across the country and not see one electric or hybrid tractor. But you’re right.... change is coming fast. Beware all tractor trailer drivers. Your jobs are in jeopardy. They haven’t even replaced McDonald’s cashiers yet lol.
They are more than talking about it already. Lol

Aquaman

They are more than talking about it already. Lol
You’re a real genius aren’t you... I can give you 1,000 reasons from an actual truck driver as to why it’s not happening. But still you watched a YouTube video. You know I’ve seen videos of robotics engineers designing jet packs. The bicycle industry better watch out.

vantexan

When I was in Europe saw the electronic menus at McDonald's that took payment and gave receipts. They're in McDonald's in the States now but not fully requiring usage like in Europe yet. But they have displaced workers. You're in denial. We're at the verge of a new paradigm and pushing for higher minimum wages is a major driver. If one fast food outlet can eliminate three or four jobs, if not more, how many multiplied by tens of thousands of outlets are out of a job? They're developing artificial intelligence that will even eliminate jobs like accountants. Having a degree is no guarantee of lifetime employment. Don't get too cocky. Best thing to do now is to go forward like it's eventually going to happen, invest your money and get out of debt. Because ten years from now if you've spent everything you've made you may be in a world of hurt. Or you can air this off and go have fun. Maybe it'll never happen.

MAKAVELI

You’re a real genius aren’t you... I can give you 1,000 reasons from an actual truck driver as to why it’s not happening. But still you watched a YouTube video. You know I’ve seen videos of robotics engineers designing jet packs. The bicycle industry better watch out.
Keep your head in the sand all you want. That's not going to change reality.

Aquaman

Keep your head in the sand all you want. That's not going to change reality.
I guess when a company tries something it’s automatically a success to you lol. It’ll flop. Big time. For all the reasons I’ve already stated. The reality is I’m much more likely to be delivering to robots in warehouses, than a robot delivering to warehouses. Again, we haven’t even made it to decent automatic transmissions with reliable adaptive cruise. I think there’s some time... 150... 200 years time.

Last edited:

Aquaman

When I was in Europe saw the electronic menus at McDonald's that took payment and gave receipts. They're in McDonald's in the States now but not fully requiring usage like in Europe yet. But they have displaced workers. You're in denial. We're at the verge of a new paradigm and pushing for higher minimum wages is a major driver. If one fast food outlet can eliminate three or four jobs, if not more, how many multiplied by tens of thousands of outlets are out of a job? They're developing artificial intelligence that will even eliminate jobs like accountants. Having a degree is no guarantee of lifetime employment. Don't get too cocky. Best thing to do now is to go forward like it's eventually going to happen, invest your money and get out of debt. Because ten years from now if you've spent everything you've made you may be in a world of hurt. Or you can air this off and go have fun. Maybe it'll never happen.
Yes, the technology exists to eliminate McDonald’s cashiers and drive thru workers. I see it in McDonald’s everywhere. Fact is it still hasn’t changed a thing. Because this is America. And we adopt things very very slowly. Do you know how many diesel tractors there are in this country? Enough to last the next 50 years easy. And they’re still producing them every year. Do you think those trucks will just disappear for unproven more expensive smart trucks? Will companies just junk their trucks? Nope... will mom & pop shop shippers be able to afford them? Nope. And then there’s the other problem that will never improve enough to make it a reality... the horrible interstate system that is crumbling, mixed with increasing severity in weather. Dream on.

MAKAVELI

I guess when a company tries something it’s automatically a success to you lol. It’ll flop. Big time. For all the reasons I’ve already stated. The reality is I’m much more likely to be delivering to robots in warehouses, than a robot delivering to warehouses. Again, we haven’t even made it to decent automatic transmissions with reliable adaptive cruise. I think there’s some time... 150... 200 years time.