fedex transition

FedGT

Wanted to thank everyone for the insight. My worries are a bit different as I was wanting out anyway and trying now to salvage what I can on exit. Some of my friends are facing the other side of the coin. To expand and how? Or what to expect. I did notice the requirements say 5 PSA OR 500 stops. So a 5 PSA doing 400 is ok? Also a hypothetical for anyone that's been thru transition. Example: there is some outlying zipcodes at the outer most range of a terminal but no one wants it because everyone is trying to stay dense. Does the terminal force the nearest contractor to make it part of his CSA in return for approving the rest of the contract he wants? In other words does it have to go to nearest PSA or how else have you seen it resolved? I see from the time schedules whatever is going to sale will be done before the nest phase as you have to have an area to present them so at some point I should be able to sell mine but wondering how things get divided up.
I would thin someone services it in their contract right now. It would still be that entity who is responsible for it. If it is owned by a single that is trying to sell and nobody wants it I would have no idea.

dmac1

I would thin someone services it in their contract right now. It would still be that entity who is responsible for it. If it is owned by a single that is trying to sell and nobody wants it I would have no idea.

Fedex will have no problem finding someone who believes their promise of large profits and infinite income growth potential to take the route that current employees find unprofitable.

blacksox

5 PSA OR 500 stops. So a 5 PSA doing 400 is ok?

As long as you have 5 PSA your good does not matter how many stops. We had few contractors make scale with 4 PSA averaging over 500 stops with their Supps.

It will be fine

We had some open area during transition. Everyone that bordered the area put in a bid and FedEx gave it to one. I'd be surprised if no one wanted it, if anything just a desperate guy trying to get to scale.

It will be fine

Every contractor that is near the area can expect to hear something along these lines from management, "We want contractors that want to grow their business. If you aren't interested in servicing this area maybe you won't be a good candidate for an ISP contract."
I feel a bit bad for the states that have a 5 year timetable. Management will use that threat for every little thing that goes wrong between now and stand up date.

echo

Ok all that makes sense. I can see how bordering areas would involve mgmt. An outskirt area I bet mgmt will stick to nearest contractor if they can because of no other option.

echo

Every contractor that is near the area can expect to hear something along these lines from management, "We want contractors that want to grow their business. If you aren't interested in servicing this area maybe you won't be a good candidate for an ISP contract."
I feel a bit bad for the states that have a 5 year timetable. Management will use that threat for every little thing that goes wrong between now and stand up date.
Yeah that sounds about right.

echo

Ok one more question. I"ve already heard here that prices stayed fairly good for routes that sold due to everyone trying to make scale. Anybody know of any 1 or 2 route guys getting burned ?

echo

We have one contractor that has a good route he has been doing for 28 years hope he doesn't get screwed anymore than he already is.

blacksox

Ok one more question. I"ve already heard here that prices stayed fairly good for routes that sold due to everyone trying to make scale. Anybody know of any 1 or 2 route guys getting burned ?
Yes !! Its kind of like musical chairs the last guys not at scale are easy pickings for the contractors already at scale. If you have to team up with other 1-2 route guys to get up to scale then after ISP transition sell the CSA and split the money 5 ways. Just remember fedex will want these new CSA to be together, another words the 5 routes need to touch each other. They won't let you just add 5 random PSA and put them together. They get to approve any PSA sells or transfers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes !! Its kind of like musical chairs the last guys not at scale are easy pickings for the contractors already at scale. If you have to team up with other 1-2 route guys to get up to scale then after ISP transition sell the CSA and split the money 5 ways. Just remember fedex will want these new CSA to be together, another words the 5 routes need to touch each other. They won't let you just add 5 random PSA and put them together. They get to approve any PSA sells or transfers.

Gee, sounds like Uncle Fred really has your back, doesn't it? What should it tell you when a company wants you to sign waivers, screws over existing contractors, and won't let your lawyer be present when you sign on the dotted line?

For an "independent business", it sure seems like the corporation holds all the cards and is pulling the strings. Fred S is the ultimate weasel, and a weasel can't deny it's instincts to kill chickens.

As someone else said along the lines of chickens, it's like having Colonel Sanders make the decisions about who survives in the henhouse.

bacha29

As I learn more and more about the ISP format and I thank those of you for educating me in regard to this format it is clearly a business model that will be damn near impossible to inplement in depressed rural areas like the one I live in. It is a model that is unquestionably designed for a metropolitan area in a warm climate with flater terain a modern highway system with high population density and high percapita consumption. The farther removed you are from this setting the harder it will be for you to implement in exchange for returns that can preserve equity. It will only be a matter of time when every contractor working in a depressed rural area will ask:" Why work for nothing when you can do nothing for nothing"?

It will be fine

As I learn more and more about the ISP format and I thank those of you for educating me in regard to this format it is clearly a business model that will be damn near impossible to inplement in depressed rural areas like the one I live in. It is a model that is unquestionably designed for a metropolitan area in a warm climate with flater terain a modern highway system with high population density and high percapita consumption. The farther removed you are from this setting the harder it will be for you to implement in exchange for returns that can preserve equity. It will only be a matter of time when every contractor working in a depressed rural area will ask:" Why work for nothing when you can do nothing for nothing"?
Isn't that true for just about every business? You can make more money if you run a business where people actually live and consume goods and services.

FedGT

Sure.

Read post # 51 for further insight.

That's not insight it is opinion. Do you honestly believe any of us think he has our best interest at heart. If that is insightful to you my kid has some Bearenstain Bear books you may find rather intriguing.

When I do look for "insight" it comes from others actually in the business not disgruntled express employees (outsiders).

Don't have to look far to validate my facts. Just because they aren't posting on this board doesn't mean there are not hundreds of us making good money, growing, and thriving. Ex wants the job done cheap hence the model goes nowhere and for most like me that plan to be in 5-10 years it works just fine.

bacha29

The cold reality is this. The single minded
goal of X is to protect preserve and grow SHAREOLDER EQUITY Now that the share price has fallen from 185 to 125 neccessitating a rather large and costly (3.25Billion) share buyback. Needless to say that ISP contractors while during their so called "negotiation" need to be prepared to encounter an X in no mood to seriously "negotiate". To a much higher degree than before contractors can expect to encounter a "here's the offer. If you don't like it what are you going to do about it" mentality.

STFXG

Why can't you make money in ISP in a rural area? The business model has always leaned toward more dense areas. That doesn't mean rural areas can't make decent money. Under IC rural routes have always been set up to make around the same profit as a city route. They just have slower growth.

bacha29

The difference is and this is under the core zone formula which is still in effect at my barn until ISP is completed. Now at one of the zips I covered had a stem mileage of 25 miles That's driving in a straight line however every morning 8 rural mail carriers left that Zip' s post office to go out and service that zips 480 mile rural carrier net work and I was right out there along with them.Therefore instead of what would be a 60 mile day covering the in town portion of that zip which is what the CZ was based on. It instead ended up a 155 to 180 mile trip Why?because when they set up the routes when the terminal was about to open they just sat there in the office with a road map . Never went out and measured the R.D network that stretched across 3 large rural counties. There were numerous other similar examples within the area I serviced. When i sold and left the guy who bought the route immediately had to put a full time supplemental on just to go out and cover the the R.D's because the one and only guy he could find to run the route would only do the in town portion refusing to stay out to 9PM or later every day trying to do both in town and the R.D's even when offered overtime. Sure I barked about it but what did it get? Nothing . The core zone formula was the governing formula despite it's failings . AS far as growth goes STFXG. The average percapita income in my service area $16,000per year. How much growth are you going to have in a business that is based on consumption and a population that is declining in number?

STFXG

So haw many new routes were added over the years you were there? Pretty easy to figure out the growth rate. You would also negotiate the rate to deliver those packages in the rural area.

STFXG

You also could have had your core zones audited. A service manager rides along for 3 days and tracks the mileage between stops. It's pretty easy if you make enough of a fuss. I had it done.