FedEx tries to win customers from rival United Parcel Service Inc with price cuts!

bacha29

I just came in here to see if bacha mentioned jing weeds or stolen motor freight.

Carry on-
You testosterone challenged "girly men" over at Express can continue to deliver your letters and jewelry boxes while the real men over at Ground will continue to handle the real freight......You know....the kind of stuff that now really does make all the money for the company......And God help those poor unsuspecting slugs because the quality of their daily work experience and probably their lives in general is about to go from existable to unlivable.

bbsam

Staff member
You seem to think it is only because of the express side of it. It translate to poor customer service. The same thing is happening with all groups. Just not as bad. Every single one had losses.
I don’t believe in Ground losses. Express may buy out employees and have that affect the bottom line.

Ground keeps pumping theirs back into the system faster and faster to increase capacity. It definitely affects the quarterly report, but it’s a bit misleading.

bacha29

Lol. Yes. The express model is killing itself. Been saying it for years. a WAGN.

Can’t think of a better time for Bezos to buy it.
I've never seen Fat Freddy as quick to assess blame as he was yesterday talking to the media. With things looking about as bad as they've ever looked in recent months and tough going ahead I can't help but believe that the possibility of a hostile takeover bid or at least a battle for board control that could end up forcing him out hasn't crossed his mind a few times.

bbsam

Staff member
I've never seen Fat Freddy as quick to assess blame as he was yesterday talking to the media. With things looking about as bad as they've ever looked in recent months and tough going ahead I can't help but believe that the possibility of a hostile takeover bid or at least a battle for board control that could end up forcing him out hasn't crossed his mind a few times.
So anyone who still thinks that Express will never adopt the Ground model, you’re just being stubborn.

bacha29

So anyone who still thinks that Express will never adopt the Ground model, you’re just being stubborn.
Not at the present time because it would be too disruptive at a time when things are already too disruptive and uncertain. But another bad year and more stock price erosion then something this radical might have to be examined more closely . Given all the regulatory issues that would have to be resolved such a move would require conditions to get quite a bit worse than they presently are to undertake such a radical course of action.

bacha29

I hope this isn't the writing on the wall that we are not getting a raise in October.
A penny an hour would still be a raise. But you know that company. Give you something in one area they take it back someplace else and sometimes you give more than you got.

MAKAVELI

Way too late for that in this stage of the game. Amazon beat them to the punch and the cost involved in converting to contractors would be just way too much for the company to overcome.

Bounty

A penny an hour would still be a raise. But you know that company. Give you something in one area they take it back someplace else and sometimes you give more than you got.
Amazon using the contractor model learned from Fedex is starting to hurt fat Freddy and you know amazon has more up its sleeve. I love it, two jerks beating each other up.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Because if anyone knows what's on the mind of a billionaire business mogul, it's you.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You testosterone challenged "girly men" over at Express can continue to deliver your letters and jewelry boxes while the real men over at Ground will continue to handle the real freight......You know....the kind of stuff that now really does make all the money for the company......

It's like a guy who uses a shovel to dig ditches for minimum wage making fun of the guy saved his money, bought a Ditch Witch, and makes 3X the money in half the time. "WUT A WUSS LOL HE DONT KNOW HOW TO USE A SHUVVEL LOL!"

bacha29

It's like a guy who uses a shovel to dig ditches for minimum wage making fun of the guy saved his money, bought a Ditch Witch, and makes 3X the money in half the time. "WUT A WUSS LOL HE DONT KNOW HOW TO USE A SHUVVEL LOL!"
Words of wisdom from a guy who had to go crawling back to Fat Freddy and ask for his job back....Hahahaha! LMAO! No wait i was wrong about that . It was your MOM who went to Fat Freddy and ask him to give you your job back.

vantexan

Words of wisdom from a guy who had to go crawling back to Fat Freddy and ask for his job back....Hahahaha! LMAO! No wait i was wrong about that . It was your MOM who went to Fat Freddy and ask him to give you your job back.
Just curious, what have you been doing since leaving Ground?

fedx

Extra Large Package
I hope this isn't the writing on the wall that we are not getting a raise in October.

I hope not either. If it is, I call BS on FedEx. Lately we've actually got more packages than we did during peak. We are going through peak all over again. I don't see how Express can be telling everyone their hardship story. One thing I will say, if we don't get raises this year, I'll be leaving the company. I'm not going to wait another year for a raise when I'm already way under the starting pay for semi drivers in my area. I've been a truck driver with Express for a few years now and I'm still several dollars per hour under the starting pay at XPO, FedEx Freight, and of course UPS. Those places top you out in 3 years too.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Now that wouldn't surprise me at all. Ha!

bacha29

Just curious, what have you been doing since leaving Ground?
A hell of a lot less than I did before I left Ground. After what I and the other two Day1's went through to get that station started up and fight off closure twice in it's first 3 years it's been a welcomed change. Start loading our own trucks at 6 AM and nobody got back to the terminal before 9PM including running 6 days a week year round for a number of years. The daily work experience is one hell of a lot different with a startup than it is coming into a well established operation. It was up to just the 3 of us and a part time terminal manager to get it going and do whatever it was we had to do to keep it going. While still a small terminal by comparison it has gone from 81 boxes inbound on our first day to more than 4500 inbound and 1000+ outbound today.
And it was the hardship the three of us endured that governed our mutual decision not to take on additional routes despite being offered to us free of charge . Weren't about to send them out there for the kind of money we would have available to pay them The routes were there for whomever wanted them and they could keep everything they could get out of them . They didn't last long . A year or two . That was about it. Followed by the next lucky contestant who didn't fare much better. The multi route ISP/CSP are always short handed. Can't keep anyone on the truck for long and when someone calls off or quits without notice which is the case with most they simply take the abandoned loads and dump it on to their other drivers and do it so frequently they too up and quit from sheer exhaustion.