Feeder bids 4 10hr days

trouble maker

Sorry if this has been mentioned prior. In my supplement which covers local 294 upstate NY, there is going to be these bid jobs. How it was explained to me by my BA, the company will have the right to create 10% from each building. Which would be rounded down. Example 28 jobs would be 2 bids. Myself and everyone that I have spoken to don't like this. We feel that this is a plan on the company's agenda to remove overtime from 5 day bid jobs. Does anyone have these jobs in their supplements, and if so please explain to me what these runs are and are they affecting 5 day bids. Thank you

iruhnman630

Making less money for working one less day per week...don't really see much of a problem here, particularly if they are bid jobs and the bidders choose the trade off.

iruhnman630

OT after 8 is still the law, I believe.

I have no interest in going feeder, but put me in a 4/10 package bid I would weep for joy.

balland chain

I have no interest in going feeder, but put me in a 4/10 package bid I would weep for joy.
We have the 4 10 hour work weeks in feeders here in the south.. You will not get OT until after your 10th hour worked.. It is in the contract...I am a cover driver and the 4 10's are nice if the day off falls on a friday or monday and I want a long weekend .. Otherwise, I will not touch them..

balland chain

At our union meeting the company plans on putting in 4 10's in packages as well.. Not sure how that will work, they may have a run that does the days off for those 4 10 runs... that would create another 4 10 run.. that is how we do it in feeders..

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
As long as it remains at 10%, I could care less. I wouldn't touch a job like this, because an extended center I've been to had some of these, but the days off were in the middle of the week. And we all know UPS, the pressure to be off by 10, I imagine, would be with the hammer instead of the feather. But under no circumstances should more than 10 % of these jobs. UPS would love nothing better than to fill feeders with crap jobs like this.

GameCockFan

That's all we have in my center. I love it. 4/10 hour days Tuesday-Friday. Off Mondays. Still work 48-50 hours per week. Bid your run and choose your day off at time of bid. Swing driver covers the 4 day-off drivers and gets a day off also. Mostly used in extended centers. If you want extra overtime you can usually work your day off. We have 2 runs that are 90 miles each way. Shift at destination or take a trailer to a nearby center. One run to P-Dale that's about 330 round trip. I go to Greensboro 475 miles roundtrip. One of the routes is Sunday through Thursday w/ Thursday off. I would hate to go back to five days a week. Overtime after 10. Ten hours pay for optionals.

Never heard of it being done in package. Nothing in our supplement about it. Atlantic Area.

over9five

Staff member
Three days off would be awesome (for those of us who don't need OT).

For the rest, yes it could be a crap job.

​Hope it comes here, I'll be all over that!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Three days off would be awesome (for those of us who don't need OT).

For the rest, yes it could be a crap job.

​Hope it comes here, I'll be all over that!

If its a Monday or Friday off i would be all over this. I have a friend that's a beer delivery driver he works 4 10's tues-fri. He wants to leave for a job that's 14 12 hour days then 7 off. He's like ill make soooo much more money and I can work my week off at all overtime. I'm sure he will be burned out in a year or two looking for something else.

Dracula

UPS wouldn't do this if it didn't have an upside for them. The way I see it, they are seeding a way to reduce feeder hours to a straight 40 hour work week. I know a lot of drivers like the idea of getting 40 hours in a four day week, but if this ever caught on, say goodbye to OT after 8HRS. I see only bad in giving up our contractual right to OT after 8.

They are taking the long view on this. They have nothing to lose. The more jobs that they can convert like this would be bad news for drivers who love OT, and OT in general. A lot of you guys say you can get OT on your off day, but all they have to do is add extra drivers to the feeder department to close that hole. Then, you're stuck at 40 hours with no options. What they get out of this is the huge potential to ax overtime pay.

Where I'm at, we have over 300 feeder drivers. More than we need, really. What this does to us is it makes the majority of our routes 9.5 jobs. Way more than the drivers wish. With all of these 9.5 jobs, those of us who work 10 and 11 plus hour days, get the beatdown on everything we do. It's not hard to see how this can be a very bad thing for feeder drivers. I guess the bottom line is, be careful of what you wish for, because UPS is more than willing to let us cut our own throats.

robot

Has A Large Member
I use to have a 4/10 feeder job. It sucked. I had tues, wed and Thursdays as my off days. Worked all weekend going to the rail yards.

Dracula

If its a Monday or Friday off i would be all over this. I have a friend that's a beer delivery driver he works 4 10's tues-fri. He wants to leave for a job that's 14 12 hour days then 7 off. He's like ill make soooo much more money and I can work my week off at all overtime. I'm sure he will be burned out in a year or two looking for something else.

For the most part, I've been working full time here for 25 years. For almost that entire time, my goal has always been to make as much money as possible. I have a good family life, and only ever got burned out during peak. And that was the work load, not the hours. I've been in feeders for a while now, and the job is easier than ever. And of course, they are now doing everything they can do to eliminate OT in feeders.

Dracula

At our union meeting the company plans on putting in 4 10's in packages as well.. Not sure how that will work, they may have a run that does the days off for those 4 10 runs... that would create another 4 10 run.. that is how we do it in feeders..

How would that work? Picture a head in a vise...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I'd go for 4/10's. Our bids have to have the days and work specified so you would know exactly what you were signing up for. You would still be able to sign up for extra work and get overtime. I have a side business that would be quite profitable if I could devote more time to it.

GameCockFan

I get all the overtime I want in just the four days. Bid as 4/10's but I work 12 most days and longer on Friday nights. 8-10 hours is the norm. The guys in neighboring centers working 5 days get about the same overtime just spread over 5 days. Last week I worked my Monday night off and ended up with 59.45 hours. Can't get much more OT than that.

I used to have Wednesday off. Didn't really mind it. Work 2 days then off. Work 2 then the weekend. Seemed like a day off was always just around the corner.

bluehdmc

I use to have a 4/10 feeder job. It sucked. I had tues, wed and Thursdays as my off days. Worked all weekend going to the rail yards.

That would suck!
Even though you got 3 days off, never a Sat or Sun?
Let alone going back and forth to the railyard.

1080Driver

As a PC driver, I've said for a long time, I'd be ALL over a 4-10 schedule....why not we're doing it already???? Factor in gas/wear and tear on the car/commuting costs. Sign me up