feeder cover board

krash

Go big orange
Why is it those who have a problem with "classification" seniority do not feel "company" seniority should prevail but in stead "FT" seniority? Isn't that hypocritical? Now many of us didn't have the luxury of getting hired off the street FT we had to sweat it out working inside. So if you truly believe there should be one seniority then it should be company.

Ibt804Hammer

The day you started working for this company (as a union employee) is your right seniority date(or should be). We have had a few drivers with sup years at the start which does not count towards seniority rights but towards vacation time only.

The day you started working for this company (as a union employee) is your right seniority date(or should be). We have had a few drivers with sup years at the start which does not count towards seniority rights but towards vacation time only.

I have no problem with that what so ever. The people who are off the street ft hires will though as they will be pushed even farther down the board. If there`s going to be a big "real seniority" crusade then lets go all the way.

krash

Go big orange
I've been paying union dues and a Teamster since the day I was hired as a PTer. I was considered a PTer for 10 years but spent 6 of those working 35+ hours a week. So if one really believes in one seniority then they should promote company seniority. One cannot honestly complain about "classification" seniority while promoting "FT" seniority. Also, Sups going to an hourly job are considered to have been hired off the street, here anyway. So I agree, that should be there seniority date.

But I'm still interested in what the rules are for other feeder dept's that have a cover board.

Last edited:

av8torntn

But I'm still interested in what the rules are for other feeder dept's that have a cover board.

We have call blocks. They offer all work available during your block when they call you. You may pass on work if someone below you is available. A percentage of the spots on the cover board are considered bid jobs meaning that you can gain seniority in feeders if you do not yet have it and are in that percentage. We've had this or a close variation of this system in place for seven or eight years. It's been working well for us. That being said the union is trying to get rid of it.

QKRSTKR

I have no problem with that what so ever. The people who are off the street ft hires will though as they will be pushed even farther down the board. If there`s going to be a big "real seniority" crusade then lets go all the way.

Wow, some real great replies on here. Here is the thing where I'm at. I'm still in pkgs. For what ever reason UPS hired a bunch of guys off the street say 5 yrs ago. Then the economy tanks. I was on the feeder intent sheet to get trained, but it never happend. So these off the street hires have had a tough time of it for sure. So it's not like I have turned down going to feeders. But these guys whine there freaking heads off about package car drivers coming over, because here, we have full time senority, not classification senority. So all these off the street hires who have been here 5 years would have more rights in the feeder dept. because they hired strait in. That's where the problem is.

I see the point about other guys passing and waiting cause they don't want to work nights. I think no one should be hired off the street for feeders until every package car or other eligible employee has a chance for that promotion. I don't feel sorry for these guys off the street either. No one forced them to leave their old jobs and come to the brown machine.

I know you say lay off goes by whole senority, but how can you have a SENIOR guy on the on call board and possibly not get 40 hours when a guy with less senoirty does? That's definitly not fair.

Some of that might not make sense, but bottom line! These off the street feeder guys will do anything they can to prevent package car drivers from coming into the department. That's BS.

I know you say lay off goes by whole seniority, but how can you have a SENIOR guy on the on call board and possibly not get 40 hours when a guy with less seniority does? That's definitely not fair.

Layoffs out of our feeder dept is by FT seniority. Someone could come in and make it into feeders and then remain while a higher feeder seniority driver, but with less FT seniority, is laid off. It`s happened. We do not have an on call board. New drivers are considered Temps (swing drivers) to cover jobs on a week to week basis. It`s better to be the top Temp driver than the bottom bid driver one up from him. That guy will get whatever POS bid is leftover while the top temp guy just below him will cover some prime start times for vacationing drivers.

Some of that might not make sense, but bottom line! These off the street feeder guys will do anything they can to prevent package car drivers from coming into the department. That's BS.

While I feel company seniority should be the deciding factor in this, the language of my locals contract was here long before me. It is what it is.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We have call blocks. They offer all work available during your block when they call you. You may pass on work if someone below you is available. A percentage of the spots on the cover board are considered bid jobs meaning that you can gain seniority in feeders if you do not yet have it and are in that percentage. We've had this or a close variation of this system in place for seven or eight years. It's been working well for us. That being said the union is trying to get rid of it.

Why?

I venture a guess that it is because there is a direct "award" system for cooperating with UPS without going through the Union.
That is a guess but it seems consistent.

av8torntn

Why?

I venture a guess that it is because there is a direct "award" system for cooperating with UPS without going through the Union.
That is a guess but it seems consistent.

Well it started when the economy slowed. We had guys that only worked a few days a month and UPS would not lay them off so they could bump back to package or the hub. We couldn't get the union to do much of anything to even try to work something out. A new slate of guys got elected at the union hall. It is my opinion that some of the new stewards that came with this election want to get rid of the call blocks so they can be on call and get six reports in a week on mileage runs. When you have call blocks the work gets spread out a little when it gets slow and kinda protects us lower guys.

Having call blocks work well for most of us but you cannot get everyone to agree on anything.

krash

Go big orange
This is the way it should be that way drivers know when to sleep and if you have the seniority and drivers under you you should be able to pass. And you should have a gurantee

av8torntn

This is the way it should be that way drivers know when to sleep and if you have the seniority and drivers under you you should be able to pass. And you should have a gurantee

The biggest problem with ours is we do not have a guarantee. We did several years ago but that didn't last long.

brett636

Wow, some real great replies on here. Here is the thing where I'm at. I'm still in pkgs. For what ever reason UPS hired a bunch of guys off the street say 5 yrs ago. Then the economy tanks. I was on the feeder intent sheet to get trained, but it never happend. So these off the street hires have had a tough time of it for sure. So it's not like I have turned down going to feeders. But these guys whine there freaking heads off about package car drivers coming over, because here, we have full time senority, not classification senority. So all these off the street hires who have been here 5 years would have more rights in the feeder dept. because they hired strait in. That's where the problem is.

I see the point about other guys passing and waiting cause they don't want to work nights. I think no one should be hired off the street for feeders until every package car or other eligible employee has a chance for that promotion. I don't feel sorry for these guys off the street either. No one forced them to leave their old jobs and come to the brown machine.

I know you say lay off goes by whole senority, but how can you have a SENIOR guy on the on call board and possibly not get 40 hours when a guy with less senoirty does? That's definitly not fair.

We just had a feeder list posted and taken down over the last 2 weeks. Out of the three centers in my building I believe only 2 or 3 package car drivers opted to go into feeders, and 2 of those were from the last round earlier this year when they got denied based on not having a year of safe driving and had to file a grievance to get in. We need somewhere between 20 and 40 new feeder drivers so obviously every package car driver has had a chance to go into feeders and over the last year had 3 different lists they could have signed to come in, but chose not too. Some here would argue those drivers should have a right to come in when they damn well feel like it and bump me off my bid run even though they didn't want to come in when I did and work their way up from the bottom. I simply disagree.

Ibt804Hammer

This is when the junior drivers start making the deals to keep the runs and fall into thet trap. When you become top dog, will you still think this way? No...

brett636

We have part timers in my building with 30+ years of company seniority. I guess they should be allowed to bump into any center in my building on any route their seniority allows. Or are you going to lecture me on the differences between full time and part time seniority conveniently ignoring that is a form of classification seniority?

Ibt804Hammer

We have part timers in my building with 30+ years of company seniority. I guess they should be allowed to bump into any center in my building on any route their seniority allows. Or are you going to lecture me on the differences between full time and part time seniority conveniently ignoring that is a form of classification seniority?
If there is an opening in your center, and the 30 year man gets assigned to it, he has the right to bid on any route that is put on the board with his 30 year date.

krash

Go big orange
Is'nt FT a form of classification seniority? So you have no problem when your FT seniority trumps someone with more company time? So if one is gonna claim seniority should prevail then we should all go by our hire date.