Feeders

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

YES FOR GOD SAKE. There is no reason not to go into feeders. It is the highest paid, and easiest position you can get. There is literally no reason not to go into feeders. I hear people say they don't want to work at nights, boo freaking hoo. So many people pass up feeders and all I hear is 100 excuses why they can't do something. It's scary and stressful for maybe a month or two, after that it almost becomes fun. You rarely deal with management, you set your own pace, and just relax and work. My manager always says the most important things in feeders are lunch and naps, so you tell me if it's worth it or not.

I can think of one reason-----5' of snow.

Johney

That's what sick days are for!

Ultimately you have the final say. If you dont think it is safe you dont go. If they force you then you say OK, leave, find a safe spot 10 minutes later and tell them you are shutting it down because the roads are too bad.
So what would happen if you did this and said supervisor comes and takes the load only to complete it indecent free? Just curious.

MaceFremonti

Supervisor? Come out in foul weather? Then actually drive?

Highly unlikely.

I actually.did this last winter. Sat at the McDonalds in Frederick for 4 hours until roads were plowed. Couple of other feeder guys headed the same way were chilling there as well.

Granted if its just flurries then you get on up the road.

jerseyupser

YES FOR GOD SAKE. There is no reason not to go into feeders. It is the highest paid, and easiest position you can get. There is literally no reason not to go into feeders. I hear people say they don't want to work at nights, boo freaking hoo. So many people pass up feeders and all I hear is 100 excuses why they can't do something. It's scary and stressful for maybe a month or two, after that it almost becomes fun. You rarely deal with management, you set your own pace, and just relax and work. My manager always says the most important things in feeders are lunch and naps, so you tell me if it's worth it or not.
Sounds like a valid point haha

MoarTape

I actually.did this last winter. Sat at the McDonalds in Frederick for 4 hours until roads were plowed. Couple of other feeder guys headed the same way were chilling there as well.

We currently have three drivers stuck in Buffalo, one of which is actually stuck on the thruway. They've been there since Monday night/Tuesday Morning.

clean hairy

We currently have three drivers stuck in Buffalo, one of which is actually stuck on the thruway. They've been there since Monday night/Tuesday Morning.
so, when a driver is stuck on the side of the road due to weather, is the driver paid for all time spent in the company vehicle?
I would guess with the vehicle not moving, it does not go towards the DOT hours?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
so, when a driver is stuck on the side of the road due to weather, is the driver paid for all time spent in the company vehicle?
I would guess with the vehicle not moving, it does not go towards the DOT hours?
He gets paid all hours while stuck on the road. Once he gets to a hotel, or if someone comes to get him and takes him to a hotel, he then goes off the clock.

It also gets interesting. If he is stuck long enough to pass his 14 hours, or 16 with the extension, he can only drive to the nearest safe haven when he does get going.

I was stuck for 10 hours. Highway was shut down. I had a female owner operator behind me offer to let me stay in her truck. My mack had the idle shutdown every 5 minutes. I had to either bump the gas, or as I dosed off, had to restart it every 5 minutes.

Michelle was a life saver and no, no hanky panky.

govols019

You smell that?
Can you not set a fast idle with the cruise control on the Macks to keep it from shutting down like you can with the Internationals?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can you not set a fast idle with the cruise control on the Macks to keep it from shutting down like you can with the Internationals?
Some you can, some you can't. The one I was in the day of that blizzard would not stay running with the cruise set.

I have tried, to no avail, to get UPS to put in an override for the idle shut down for instances such as this. I know it does not happen very often, but if UPS really cared about safety, they would put one in.

Look at the guys stuck on the road in Buffalo. How can you sleep in a tractor when you have to restart it every 5 minutes? A few hours, I can understand. Stuck for days, you need to get some sleep.

But we all know that the only reason UPS cares about safety is to reduce the cost of comp claims and to keep OSHA off their backs. They do not give a rats :censored2: about our "safety."

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we attach a flash drive to IVIS, go on other activities, and log off so it does not show idle time. on our tractors all you have to do is set the trailer brake and keep the tractor brakes off and it wont shut down. nice when it is very cold and the motor helps me go to sleep.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
we attach a flash drive to IVIS, go on other activities, and log off so it does not show idle time. on our tractors all you have to do is set the trailer brake and keep the tractor brakes off and it wont shut down. nice when it is very cold and the motor helps me go to sleep.
That would be nice, but does not work on all tractors. Been in some where you just punch the cruise. Will idle all day long. Pull the plug so it won't show idle time.

Been in some that will shutdown every 5 minutes no matter what you do.

I know the new ones are hard wired, no plug to pull.

MaceFremonti

Don't think I would be able to sleep with just the trailer brake on. :eek:

trickpony1

Don't think I would be able to sleep with just the trailer brake on.

I sure wouldn't.
If that trailer brake releases and you roll away you're gonna have a hard time explaining that.
Ask your mechanic if he can override the auto shut off. Our feeder dept has been known to over ride ours.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I sure wouldn't.
If that trailer brake releases and you roll away you're gonna have a hard time explaining that.
Ask your mechanic if he can override the auto shut off. Our feeder dept has been known to over ride ours.

Hopefully you'd wake up before any real damage occurred...hopefully