Filling to obtain eight hour guarantee

Observer

My steward says in order to get a guarantee eight hours day I must arrive on time and be ready to work. Problem is this the month of February and hours have been changed to later time later in the week. We have been told that you need to ask for eight hours daily on the shorter schedule time. Then the supervisor needs to find some additional work. Some days the work runs out and getting eight hours seems impossible. How do you grieve a guarantee eight hours if your not sure if the steward will file a grievance at your location that you work. Any sound advice will be appreciated.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My steward says in order to get a guarantee eight hours day I must arrive on time and be ready to work. Problem is this the month of February and hours have been changed to later time later in the week. We have been told that you need to ask for eight hours daily on the shorter schedule time. Then the supervisor needs to find some additional work. Some days the work runs out and getting eight hours seems impossible. How do you grieve a guarantee eight hours if your not sure if the steward will file a grievance at your location that you work. Any sound advice will be appreciated.

File the grievance directly with your local. Problem solved. Finding 8 hrs of work for you is management's problem. If they send you home before 8 hrs they still have to pay you the full 8.

542thruNthru

They will not send me home.

Sounds like you're more upset that you can't just work 5 hours and be paid for 8.

Observer

Then what's the problem?
I must report to my supervisor before they leave the building or find another supervisor who will pay me. Some say I can't pay you so then I must leave and ask my assigned part-time to pay me. But the problem is a night sort supervisor may not know the system as well or find me work in the building. I can't find the Full Timer to get my eight hours.Many catch 22's in the building.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I must report to my supervisor before they leave the building or find another supervisor who will pay me. Some say I can't pay you so then I must leave and ask my assigned part-time to pay me. But the problem is a night sort supervisor may not know the system as well or find me work in the building. I can't find the Full Timer to get my eight hours.Many catch 22's in the building.

Are you a driver who is working inside to get your hours? Or are you FT inside? In my building, if I were a driver working inside, I would grab a diad and enter my own hours with code 6 and input the code for whatever job I am doing under "extra work".

Once you complete your assignments, and no supervisor has any more work for you, then ask if you are free to go. Otherwise, you can tell them you will be awaiting further instructions in the office or break room until your hours are up. If the diad thing isn't an option for you, have the OMS input your time correctly.

542thruNthru

They will not send me home.

I did 5 hours as a part-timer and I'm not upset.

I have no idea what the issue is. You need to explain better what the problem is. You say that you can't get your guarantee then say they wont send you home... then say you did 5 hours as a part timer.

Are you part time or full time? If they won't send you home then why are you not getting 8 hours... start from the beginning and take your time.