fire extinguishers

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have had a fellow driver ask how long these are good.
I can honestly say I have never looked although I know it is part of the pre trip, guess Ill get fired now. If one has a date of say 1990's is it fair to say it should be replaced, or are they good forever?
I have a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles, which was given to me last week, sooooo Im guessing, mine is fine, but as for a fellow driver I have no answer.
Who should we contact, if it is out of date, mgmt, mechanic or safety committee?
All replies will be much appreciated.

browniehound

I have had a fellow driver ask how long these are good.
I can honestly say I have never looked although I know it is part of the pre trip, guess Ill get fired now. If one has a date of say 1990's is it fair to say it should be replaced, or are they good forever?
I have a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles, which was given to me last week, sooooo Im guessing, mine is fine, but as for a fellow driver I have no answer.
Who should we contact, if it is out of date, mgmt, mechanic or safety committee?
All replies will be much appreciated.

Tooner,
Congrats on getting the new truck! From your posts I gather you've been with UPS for a while and thus deserve that power-steering automatic transmission truck, FINALLY!

browniehound

Tooner,
As far as the fire-extinguisher I would write it up in the DVIR and then submit a concern to the safety comittee to have your concern documented, just to cover your but. I know its part of the pre-trip but I never give it a second thought. My guess is if my package car is engulfed in flames that rinki-dink fire extinguisher is not going to help.

A

Anon

They should have a gauge on them or some may have a green button to push in and if it pops back out it's still good.

DS

Fenderbender
Ours have a button at the top,you push it and it is under pressure,if it stays in you need a new one.
Recharging/Testing Your Extinguisher

Disposable fire extinguishers can only be used ONCE and are NOT rechargeable. Even if only partially discharged, a disposable fire extinguisher must be discarded and replaced.
Rechargeable fire extinguishers require testing and professional servicing according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Fire Extinguishers" for service companies.
The contents (the extinguishing agent) of portable fire extinguishers are stored under pressure. All extinguishers come equipped with a dial-gauge or some type of pressure-testing mechanism, such as a test button. Fire extinguishers need to be checked at least once a month. If the pressure has dropped below the acceptable level, the fire extinguisher must be replaced or recharged immediately.
Fire extinguishers need to be inspected for dents, cracks, corrosion and any type of damage. If there is a hose or horn attached to the extinguisher's nozzle, make sure the rubber and plastic parts are intact.

over9five

Staff member
Basicly, it is good forever IF:

1. It has a gauge and reads "full".

2. The ones with no gauge have a small green "button" on the barrel. If you push it in, it should pop back out indicating the cylinder has pressure.

Remember your fire extinguisher is there per the DOT. UPS policy says we do not use it; we are not firefighters!

DS

Fenderbender
Remember your fire extinguisher is there per the DOT. UPS policy says we do not use it; we are not firefighters!

So basically over9,if my 1984 p800 has an engine fire,
I should just let it burn,maybe I`ll get a new p7 like
tooners!
I couldn`t do it.
I saw a fellow driver put out a fire
under his hood,so I went and got him a coffee.
I figured he`d be there awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:

area43

Our center got rid of all our Fire extinguishers due to cost saving measures. Too expensive. We just use all our full pee bottles(that we have saved in our snow chain bucket)over the years to put out any FLAMES. Thanks mikey.

brownman15

had to use the fire extinguishers once they last about 2 seconds the fireman said those are only for show. he said about the only things those will put out are a cigarette

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles, which was given to me last week

Tooner, what size of a new Package Car did you recieve? The new ones are nice; automatics, power steering, and most importantly, low steps.:thumbup1:

SmithBarney

During my training, I was told:
Sup: "see that" pointing to the extinguisher
Sup: "whats it for?"
me: "putting out fires"
Sup: "wrong its for DOT compliance, it won't help you if the truck is on fire
just get out fast"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner, what size of a new Package Car did you recieve? The new ones are nice; automatics, power steering, and most importantly, low steps.:thumbup1:

"I should just let it burn,maybe I`ll get a new p7 like
tooners!"
Its a 1000, but it seems longer and the design inside holds much more.:ohmy:
It is glorious, although the first few days, I kept grabbing for the gearshift, and trying to hit the clutch. The dash lights up like a 747 taking off. The shifter is ON THE DASH, AUTOMATIC!!!!!:biggrin: THERE ARE LIGHTS ON THE CEILING, DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE CARGO AREA WHAT A NOVEL IDEA:drool:Its like heaven, and I am ever so grateful, even tho the reason I got it was based on volume and miles, I be a stylin n profiling ALL DAY LONG!!!!

I was as shocked as anyone when I saw it in the line-up:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: , I figured it was a mistake.

over9five

Staff member
"We just use all our full pee bottles..."

LOL, that was great!!!!

"...time to end the pee bottle post"

No way! There are STREAMS of pee posts to go!

over9five

Staff member
"So basically over9,if my 1984 p800 has an engine fire,
I should just let it burn.."

Well, that's what the company says. I'm sure it's a safety concern, they'd rather see the car burn than have it blow-up and kill you while you're trying to put it out with a 50 cent fire extinguisher.

Truth be told, I once used mine to extinguish a battery fire.

Saved the package car, and 400 packages....

Got a warning letter.

(J/K about the W/L!!!)

area43

Our center got rid of all our Fire extinguishers due to cost saving measures. Too expensive. We just use all our full pee bottles(that we have saved in our snow chain bucket)over the years to put out any FLAMES. Thanks mikey.
Hey, Just read a post by dave-socal(thread/urn bottles by lost). Our center sure could use this dude. He claims that he has a BIG bladder(he must be full of piss) with a long hose(yeah right,dude)lmao. sorry folks Ill stop. I couldn't pass that up. no more p stuff.

over9five

Staff member
Point the extinguisher into your [-]neighbors truck[/-] CMs office and squeeze,if something comes out its still good.