Fired for getting sick on route after I told them I was sick and could t work

Some weird stuff has been going on. I’m constantly getting 14 hour days. I get the run around from management that they are working on it. This has been 3 years now. I filled a grievance for multiple over 9-5 in a row. Ever since I filled a grievance management has been harassing me. I have one manager that “won’t talk to you anymore.” Yes... my manager refuses to speak to me. I have been here for 17 years! The only time I’ve called in was when I went in to labor. I called in sick on Friday. “My team” manager was on vacation so he told me to call the manager that refuses to speak to me. He didn’t answer. I call again and a sup answers and says “he doesn’t want to talk to you right now.” I try to tell them I’m sick, I’m dizzy I don’t feel safe driving. They WOULDNT allow me to be sick! I came in anyway. I start driving and immediately start to vomit. I turn around and pack my truck back at the center. There was no way I could carry on feeling this way. I work really hard. I never call in. I didn’t feel safe. This morning I got fired. He said “we think you did it on purpose because your over 9-5” like wtf?!? Are you serious. I’m so sick of managements games. The union rep for the center is BEST friends with the manager that’s refuses to talk to me. I know I’ll get my job back... but I don’t think I want it.

Some weird stuff has been going on. I’m constantly getting 14 hour days. I get the run around from management that they are working on it. This has been 3 years now. I filled a grievance for multiple over 9-5 in a row. Ever since I filled a grievance management has been harassing me. I have one manager that “won’t talk to you anymore.” Yes... my manager refuses to speak to me. I have been here for 17 years! The only time I’ve called in was when I went in to labor. I called in sick on Friday. “My team” manager was on vacation so he told me to call the manager that refuses to speak to me. He didn’t answer. I call again and a sup answers and says “he doesn’t want to talk to you right now.” I try to tell them I’m sick, I’m dizzy I don’t feel safe driving. They WOULDNT allow me to be sick! I came in anyway. I start driving and immediately start to vomit. I turn around and pack my truck back at the center. There was no way I could carry on feeling this way. I work really hard. I never call in. I didn’t feel safe. This morning I got fired. He said “we think you did it on purpose because your over 9-5” like wtf?!? Are you serious. I’m so sick of managements games. The union rep for the center is BEST friends with the manager that’s refuses to talk to me. I know I’ll get my job back... but I don’t think I want it.
You have a question or just venting?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
this sounds like a job for BUG. ( Big Union Guy )

help/advice will be here shortly. hang on.

purehavanne

Don’t know how big your building is but I would transfer to another center. It’s been done many times here by people fed up with their management team (even a 21yr driver). If it’s gotten to this point it’s worth going down to HR

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Make sure to file harassment and retaliation grievances while you are at it. Refusing to speak to you is not treating you with dignity and respect. Keep pushing until UPS decides to "promote" the one manager and replace him with one that acts like a real adult.

542thruNthru

It’s a small town... why is it when I post something I get shade... so :censored2:ing weird

@zubenelgenubi said it. File and keep filing.

Next time you're sick and they won't pick up the phone. Call 1800 pick ups and tell them your center and how they won't pick up the phone.

You're a push over. I never would have went on road. At the very least I would have walked into the center and said "I'm sick bye"

Last edited:

clean hairy

"I will not be in today due to illness"
"I am going to the Dr. and will let you know when I may be able to return to work"
"Bye!"
Click!
Then you get to Minute Clinic or whoever can see you asap for a diagnosis and potential return to work date.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You’ve been there 17 years and you don’t know they don’t have to “allow” you to be sick?

“This is @Gottapackage4ya i wont be in today. Click.” End of conversation

NTGhost

[Lot of shady stuff from UPS managment] I know I’ll get my job back... but I don’t think I want it.

Sound familiar...and this is exactly what they want. They grind you until you break and leave. They also done this here in Hamburg several times with some oddballs they want to get rid of. unfortunately it works here.

I don't known how it works with Contracts in the US, but, it is written down that you are "only" work from 9-5?

i wonder what you have done to get on their kill list. You have been vocal about something? Since three years they did this? what happens three Years ago?

and like the others, honestly, you an in this hell as long as me and don't known what to do? what is wrong here? UPSer at this age are normally sass af and don't bother with harassment from the management. they do their job in a way that makes them unaccountable and don't care what management want from them.

Last edited:
Sound familiar...and this is exactly what they want. They grind you until you break and leave. They also done this here in Hamburg several times with some oddballs they want to get rid of. unfortunately it works here.

I don't known how it works with Contracts in the US, but, it is written down that you are "only" work from 9-5?

i wonder what you have done to get on their kill list. You have been vocal about something? Since three years they did this? what happens three Years ago?

and like the others, honestly, you an in this hell as long as me and don't known what to do? what is wrong here? UPSer at this age are normally sass af and don't bother with harassment from the management. they do their job in a way that makes them unaccountable and don't care what management want from them.
You got to learn the American lingo. Lol

9.5 list is for people who don't want to work any hours last 9 and a half hours per day.

Dr.Brownz

Didn't see you were in Germany. I have no idea what your union deal is. Maybe you should find out. But yes in our contracts here in the USA we have a protection that over 9.5 hours in a day triggers penalty pay if you meet the requirements (which UPS plays games with all the time but still not hard to fight and win this)