Fired for Misloads

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's a trial period, if you make it through it then you are hired.

Yep.

Central Region:

Section 1

"(a) Probationary employees: a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis, during which period he/she may be discharged without further recourse;"

"Seasonal and probationary employees will not receive any of the benefits of this Agreement other than wages spelled out in this Agreement."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

I'm sure every other supplement says the same thing.

-Bug-

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Even if you do consider new employees temps (I don't) don't they still fall under the Union contract and entitled to Union representation? At least in RTW states they are.
Nope. I live in a RTW state and until you pass your thirty, you are not covered by the union and can be let go for any reason. I would say getting 3 misloads a day and sometimes 10 or more is a pretty good reason. However, once you gain seniority, the union has to represent you whether you’re paying dues or not.

Laguna Preload

Hello Guys My name is Javier. I started working at UPS in July and was having a hard time with misloads. I was new so it was understandable. I was getting better at it as time went on. Here in the city of cypress, California I had 3 trucks a day with about 750-800 packages. There was a day where I had 10 misloads. A week went by and my misloads went from 10 down to 2 a day. It seemed like my supervisors wanted me gone. I was proud that my misloads were down but I had “talks” privately with my sups maybe 3 or four times. I called out sick one day because I had an ear infection and the pain was to much. The next day I came to work on time like I always did. I felt terrible. My ear was hurting. My stomach was churning because of my meds. I let my supervisors know that I could not concentrate on my work. I kept going back and forth from the restroom to do my business because my stomach. Turns out the next day I had 11 misloads instead of my usual 2 or 3 a day. he takes me into his office and terminates my job because of my misloads problem. I was only there for less than 2 months. He stated that he could not continue this and he had to let me go. I got verbal warning but never signed a paper, never had a steward present. I’m now fired and looking for a job and don’t know what to do. I told him I was doing my best and that day I was sick and even explained to him that I was sick, but he pointed out my 2 misloads a day and said that was the reason. He always seemed to single me out. He yelled at me for working too slow, people on my pen(row) listener to music with headphones but he told me I couldn’t listen to it. He told me that my working tactics were terrible even though people on my PENN did the same thing. Asking for help from fellow UPSers. Thank you. Also never got a notification for getting written up and fellow coworkers on my penn would have the same daily 2-3 misloads and they never got yelled at.
Not sure this post is even worthy of a reply but here it goes.
1. If the job really meant that much to you you should have read your contract and talked with your steward to see what it would take to get and keep the job.
2. I know for a fact that So Cal has a 3 month probation period. The fact that you were miss loading during the probation period tells them that you were going to be doing it after you were unionized. If it was that bad during the summer you would have been a nightmare to management during peak.
3. Scan every package, and write your hin numbers. It takes a few weeks to get it down but the fact is if you scan every package and wear your scanner belt. The alarm goes off when you bring the package into the wrong car. This saved my but so many times. I had 0 miss loads during my probation period. Even after that I only had them if someone else loaded part of my car in which case there was no way it was being pinned on me.
4. You might be able to get back in as a seasonal but I doubt it. They keep a record that tells them if you are able to be rehired or not. Besides I’m not sure you want to unless you are willing to work like a dog and get the job done and get it done correctly. You have to treat Preload like a trip to the gym. Take some pride in your work and improve.
Hope you find another job soon
Best of luck and if you ever get to work at UPS again I hope you give it all you got

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Do we really want a preloader who gets double digit misloads back? OP do you realize how badly you are messing up your drivers by doing such a terrible job? A lot of us have kids and we actually like to see them you know
Exactly
Not sure what is so hard about loading packages into a car designed to hold packages.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
@cheryl

The staff do a great job making sure posts are censored err...deleted promptly when they are off topic, but I am curious why when a user changes their screen name or a moderator edits their name out of a post, the original poster's name does not get changed. See example below from this thread's OP.

I cannot imagine it is that much more work than is already being done with the posts that get deleted to change the OP name. Please look into this as I hate to see people wasting their breaths telling others, "If that's your real name, change it immediately!!"

name.jpg
edit.jpg

Last edited:

scooby0048

There was a day where I had 10 misloads. A week went by and my misloads went from 10 down to 2 a day. I had “talks” privately with my sups maybe 3 or four times.

I called out sick one day because I had an ear infection and the pain was to much. The next day I came to work on time like I always did. I felt terrible. My ear was hurting. My stomach was churning because of my meds. I let my supervisors know that I could not concentrate on my work. I kept going back and forth from the restroom to do my business because my stomach. Turns out the next day I had 11 misloads instead of my usual 2 or 3 a day.

I was only there for less than 2 months. He always seemed to single me out. He told me that my working tactics were terrible even though people on my PENN did the same thing.

Asking for help from fellow UPSers.

Here's your help from a fellow UPSer...

Face it, you suck as a loader and most definitely should find other even more menial work. If you think going from 10 misloads to 2 or 3 is a good thing then you've got some issues and still suck. I normally wouldn't agree with management so quickly, but it sounds like your manager saw the potential of how badly you would have sucked and cut you loose quick.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
@cheryl

The staff do a great job making sure posts are censored err...deleted promptly when they are off topic, but I am curious why when a user changes their screen name or a moderator edits their name out of a post, the original poster's name does not get changed. See example below from this thread's OP.

I cannot imagine it is that much more work than is already being done with the posts that get deleted to change the OP name. Please look into this as I hate to see people wasting their breaths telling others, "If that's your real name, change it immediately!!"

That's how xenforo functions. It's not built in. I can go back and change the name in the quoted post if someone points it out to me. Otherwise I probably won't know about it unless I stumble upon it.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Here's your help from a fellow UPSer...

Face it, you suck as a loader and most definitely should find other even more menial work. If you think going from 10 misloads to 2 or 3 is a good thing then you've got some issues and still suck. I normally wouldn't agree with management so quickly, but it sounds like your manager saw the potential of how badly you would have sucked and cut you loose quick.

You ever wonder why part timers sometimes hate drivers?

It's because of attitudes like this.
I know I'll get some fun creative charms for this, but whatever.

Management gets to micromanage us in a way that they still can't with drivers. They can much more easily attempt to force us to work ever faster in the building by changing belt speeds, doubling up on trailers, and not staffing enough preloaders.

OP was a brand new guy. I agree that 10 misloads in a day is nuts. But if he wasn't cut out for loading, or at least needed more time to get acclimated, why wouldn't they move him to a trailer?

It sounds like he was trying. Some people just aren't cut out for the preload.
But your attitude seems to be missing a certain sense of brotherhood.

You ever wonder why part timers sometimes hate drivers?

It's because of attitudes like this.
I know I'll get some fun creative charms for this, but whatever.

Management gets to micromanage us in a way that they still can't with drivers. They can much more easily attempt to force us to work ever faster in the building by changing belt speeds, doubling up on trailers, and not staffing enough preloaders.

OP was a brand new guy. I agree that 10 misloads in a day is nuts. But if he wasn't cut out for loading, or at least needed more time to get acclimated, why wouldn't they move him to a trailer?

It sounds like he was trying. Some people just aren't cut out for the preload.
UPS isn't for everyone
Some people are designed to handle this job, others are just temporary bodies

scooby0048

That's how xenforo functions. It's not built in. I can go back and change the name in the quoted post if someone points it out to me. Otherwise I probably won't know about it.
Thanks for the swift response. Doesn't make sense on Xenforo's part but it's their coding, not mine. I realize that it would be fruitless to automatically have the staff change the OP name for a screen name change if there are multiple posts but for a first time poster...?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Thanks for the swift response. Doesn't make sense on Xenforo's part but it's their coding, not mine. I realize that it would be fruitless to automatically have the staff change the OP name for a screen name change if there are multiple posts but for a first time poster...?
Ya, it seems like it should work that way to me too. There's a new version that will be installed here before the end of the year. Hopefully the new version will have that function

scooby0048

You ever wonder why part timers sometimes hate drivers? It's because of attitudes like this.

You ever wonder why drivers hate PTers? It's because they don't care. Most are there for some quick cash, maybe some benefits, or even some free schooling. The drivers whether by choice or necessity, have made it a career and sometimes it sucks, other times it is great. The PTers have a big impact on our day, our time working, and our overall attitudes. Not all PTers are bad just like not all drivers hate them.

Management gets to micromanage us in a way that they still can't with drivers.

Not even close. We are told how long it should take to make a delivery, asked why our door was opened for x amount of time, why we back and when we do, why we didn't back first or to a certain side. We are micromanaged by people who are more micromanaged than us so there's that yeah...

OP was a brand new guy. I agree that 10 misloads in a day is nuts. It sounds like he was trying. Some people just aren't cut out for the preload.

Dude, July? How much friend*n time does he need? My sense of brotherhood expands far beyond this one clown. How many trucks does he do...maybe 2, maybe 3, maybe 4? So to be clear, because this one clown can't get the job 4 other people (or more) have to suffer. Nope.

Get rid of this clown and get someone even remotely better is how I'm thinking about the "brotherhood"

542thruNthru

Hello Guys My name is *. I started working at UPS in July and was having a hard time with misloads. I was new so it was understandable. I was getting better at it as time went on. Here in the city of cypress, California I had 3 trucks a day with about 750-800 packages. There was a day where I had 10 misloads. A week went by and my misloads went from 10 down to 2 a day. It seemed like my supervisors wanted me gone. I was proud that my misloads were down but I had “talks” privately with my sups maybe 3 or four times. I called out sick one day because I had an ear infection and the pain was to much. The next day I came to work on time like I always did. I felt terrible. My ear was hurting. My stomach was churning because of my meds. I let my supervisors know that I could not concentrate on my work. I kept going back and forth from the restroom to do my business because my stomach. Turns out the next day I had 11 misloads instead of my usual 2 or 3 a day. he takes me into his office and terminates my job because of my misloads problem. I was only there for less than 2 months. He stated that he could not continue this and he had to let me go. I got verbal warning but never signed a paper, never had a steward present. I’m now fired and looking for a job and don’t know what to do. I told him I was doing my best and that day I was sick and even explained to him that I was sick, but he pointed out my 2 misloads a day and said that was the reason. He always seemed to single me out. He yelled at me for working too slow, people on my pen(row) listener to music with headphones but he told me I couldn’t listen to it. He told me that my working tactics were terrible even though people on my PENN did the same thing. Asking for help from fellow UPSers. Thank you. Also never got a notification for getting written up and fellow coworkers on my penn would have the same daily 2-3 misloads and they never got yelled at.

You didn't gain seniority. It's 70 working days in a 6 month period.

I'm sorry but your time at UPS is over.

Good luck in your next job.
Screenshot_20190921-115055_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@PT Package, it couldn't hurt to try to get your job back. It will at least send a message to management that you are serious about the job. Ask to be reassigned to another area if need be. Seems like most places are always hurting for part time workers