Firefighters at UPS

rod

Retired 22 years
I guess I could see a part timer being a volunteer FF but no way could a driver be one. I think UPS would frown on a driver abandoning his load in the middle of nowhere to go fight a fire. We have had drivers put to work fighting a small brush fire or grass fire. Around here the DNR has the right to stop you and recruit you to fight a fire. They can't force you but they are pretty insistent.

hage425

I am a paid FF and UPS has given me off every 3rd day to work at the firehouse for 6 years. I am a part time clerk and been with UPS for 14 years. They now have a prob with giving me the time off. I was curious if anyone else had a fire schedule that UPS was allowing them off.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm a volunteer. Only twice have I called up work and told them I wouldn't be in b/c we had something big overnight and I was tired.

As long as UPS pays more than the FD, they'll always be first in line for my services.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am a paid FF and UPS has given me off every 3rd day to work at the firehouse for 6 years. I am a part time clerk and been with UPS for 14 years. They now have a prob with giving me the time off. I was curious if anyone else had a fire schedule that UPS was allowing them off.

I would say, pick us or them, can't do both.

trickpony1

I am a part time clerk and been with UPS for 14 years. They now have a prob with giving me the time off.

Is there "past practice" language in your contract?

They've known you are a FF for the last 6 years and now, suddenly, they are changing things?

Thank you for your service!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is there "past practice" language in your contract?

They've known you are a FF for the last 6 years and now, suddenly, they are changing things?

Thank you for your service!

I doubt his supplement covers a past practice on the issue.

What it sounds like, is his local management was making some sort of accommodation.

Maybe someone complained. Others weren't being afforded the same "type" of consideration ?

Or, management realized.... if he is being financially compensated to do that....

It's a violation of the master language.

Maybe the OP, could fill us in.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

If the public found out about this, it would be a PR nightmare for UPS.

It would be a little different if they have not done this for the past 6 years. If you were a new hire and UPS said that they cannot accommodate you, different story.

They have been doing it for 6 years.

Your local news media may be glad to do an interview with you.

If it was me, I would give them a chance before the PR nightmare started. If you're only dealing with local management, you may need to go a little higher on the food chain.

Good luck and thanks for what you do for the public.

oldngray

nowhere special
Firefighter is not like the military where UPS has to give you time off. It sounds like UPS was trying to work out the schedule so he could still be a firefighter but were not contractually obligated to do so. If they need him to work at UPS those days then that has priority.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the public found out about this, it would be a PR nightmare for UPS.

It would be a little different if they have not done this for the past 6 years. If you were a new hire and UPS said that they cannot accommodate you, different story.

They have been doing it for 6 years.

Your local news media may be glad to do an interview with you.

If it was me, I would give them a chance before the PR nightmare started. If you're only dealing with local management, you may need to go a little higher on the food chain.

Good luck and thanks for what you do for the public.

My SIL is a paid firefighter who moonlights at Lowes. There is no way that UPS could or should accommodate his schedule.

There is no "PR nightmare" to start. The OP was lucky to find a sup who was willing to bend the rules for him for the past 6 years. His luck just ran out.

hage425

The problem started with lots of newer employees calling out alot and when management tried to hold them accountable my name gets thrown in the mix.

hage425

When I got hired with fd I tried to turn in a 2 week notice and UPS management at that time asked me to stay and they would give me the days off I needed to work at fd. Since that time those supervisors are either at different hubs or not with UPS anymore.

Box Ox

The problem started with lots of newer employees calling out alot and when management tried to hold them accountable my name gets thrown in the mix.

They're calling out a lot? If you've been given 2 years worth of workdays off in the last 6 years, that's a lot. That's astounding. Maybe they've got just as important work or issues to attend to. If one person receives that kind of special treatment, everyone should.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I got hired with fd I tried to turn in a 2 week notice and UPS management at that time asked me to stay and they would give me the days off I needed to work at fd. Since that time those supervisors are either at different hubs or not with UPS anymore.

I don't suppose you got that in writing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From what you've posted I don't see where you have a leg to stand on. Probably gonna have to pick one place to work.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

I'm missing something here?

When you were hired by the FD six years ago you tried to turn in a 2-week notice, but were talked out of it. Did something change at the FD where you now need the UPS job you were going to leave in the first place six years ago?

I wish I would have tried longer to get a job with the FD. Here in NJ there are departments that have the rank and file topping out at $125k working a 2 on 5 off with retirement by 50 depending on age, etc.