First day as a PT Package Handler today!

SunnyBro

Hello!

I've been browsing these forums for maybe a week now, seen and heard a lot. I'm coming into this job because for a long while I've tried to find employment just about anywhere around me and I've been rejected at every turn for my lack of experience. I wanted a part-time job to work at while I attend college/university and their Twilight 3-10 pm shift seemed to suit my needs very well. I have seen many people here saying it's very hard work, but I was and still am ecstatic about being able to have a job of my own to get any kind of experience in the workforce. I plan to stay in the Union and keep working to build seniority. Hopefully, it can turn into an alternative option for FT if my degree doesn't pan out well.

I hope to be able to stay and prove myself! Very determined to get through my 30-40 days and get that Union contract.

Just wanted to introduce myself!

rod

Retired 22 years
Learn to laugh off the rampant bad management and the job is probably doable. Don't go in with the idea you are going to be a great employee because UPS has none of those in their eyes. Do your job Safely at a reasonable speed. Show up for work. To be honest it appears you can get away with murder if you just "show up".

SunnyBro

Learn to laugh off the rampant bad management and the job is probably doable. Don't go in with the idea you are going to be a great employee because UPS has none of those in their eyes. Do your job Safely at a reasonable speed. Show up for work. To be honest it appears you can get away with murder if you just "show up".
Thanks for the advice! Just got out from today and it was a pretty good impression. Got me kinda thrown off to hear that it's gonna take about 2 months to join the union and the pay rate is going down from 15 to 14.50.. but I can't complain I'm happy to have a chance at a job here.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello!

I've been browsing these forums for maybe a week now, seen and heard a lot. I'm coming into this job because for a long while I've tried to find employment just about anywhere around me and I've been rejected at every turn for my lack of experience. I wanted a part-time job to work at while I attend college/university and their Twilight 3-10 pm shift seemed to suit my needs very well. I have seen many people here saying it's very hard work, but I was and still am ecstatic about being able to have a job of my own to get any kind of experience in the workforce. I plan to stay in the Union and keep working to build seniority. Hopefully, it can turn into an alternative option for FT if my degree doesn't pan out well.

I hope to be able to stay and prove myself! Very determined to get through my 30-40 days and get that Union contract.

What are you studying don’t tell me East Asian cultures or some other silly BS

SunnyBro

Just finished my first week. 4 days of training and today was supposed to be our first day 'on the floor'. Got sent home after just 10 minutes, never got to see where I'm working. I hear it's a bit normal recently but kinda sucks to hear

SunnyBro

Don't go in with the idea you are going to be a great employee because UPS has none of those in their eyes. Do your job Safely at a reasonable speed.
Wanted to come back to this because I've thought of it nearly every day on the job. Still going strong, thank you very much for these words they've kept me through a lot honestly

Fuzzy Brown

Hello!

Congratulations!
Show up every day and on time, you’ll go far.

SunnyBro

Congratulations!
Show up every day and on time, you’ll go far.
On my first actual day of work after training I came 30 minutes late because I got the start time wrong. Panicked so hard that day but I've been early every day since, a few days 40 minutes early cause HR :censored2:s me and tells me the wrong start time when I asked lol. (supervisors used to leave me hanging saying they'd text me the start time for next week but never contacted me)

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
On my first actual day of work after training I came 30 minutes late because I got the start time wrong. Panicked so hard that day but I've been early every day since, a few days 40 minutes early cause HR *s me and tells me the wrong start time when I asked lol. (supervisors used to leave me hanging saying they'd text me the start time for next week but never contacted me)
Show up a little early and have a coffee, relax and settle in.

agoodfriend

still confused about two different guys
My boyfriend’s been working as a package handler for nine years and this year will be his last year. He’s going to be applying as a package car driver.