First Day Driving Package Truck Monday

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I agree with Joe. If you have thin skin and get upset with us here, then you've got a rough row to hoe down the line. This is part of the newbie hazing process. Get over it While you still can.

PT Car Washer

ok you dont have to believe me i'm just asking for advice. im going based off what i was told. after the class i went back to the hub and asked for a copy of the training route i would be on so i could spend the weekend getting familiar with the area. i was told it wasn't a training route and when i asked if the first day was a ride along he said no that im getting right into it and i would get about 6 1/2 hours of work to start and day by day it would increase to the normal amount
PT jr. started driving Thursday and sat in the dummy seat the first day while driver sup drove with a 6 1/2 hour day which took 10 hours to complete (brand new sup who never drove before). Second day PT jr. drove second half (Friday) and they were back by 5:30. Normal training routine.

billerz

let me clarify the first couple of days i will have a sup riding along with me but throughout the class i was told my first day would be a ride along. where i sit and observe
Ask a :censored2: load of questions, do not be afraid to ask twice. You won't have the sup for very long. Try to absorb as much as possible, the job only gets easier with time. Make sure u charged ur phone and bring some water/food.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Umm yea I call :censored2: ...there is no way on gods green earth they r just throwin u out there without even knowing if your capable of even driving the truck..much less getting through a route and mo running into problems....

Last edited by a moderator:

NonDeliverOtherMissed

hey don't say ppl are giving you :censored2: ...in ur OP u made it sound like they were just gonna throw u to the wolves...to be honest, you prob would have quit had they just given u a diad and said go ahead good luck ..my guess is u would have gotten 10-20 stops done in 8 hrs...my advice is loosen the hell up, if u get that agitated that easy u most likely will quit, or get in an accident, whichever comes first......also brown or black socks will not do..that only applies to your belt...your socks must be the ups logo socks, nothing else

Last edited by a moderator:

Savvy412

I think OP misunderstood . But he did clarify that he thinks they meant that he will not be sitting and watching a sup for a day or 2..he will be driving ( but still with sup)

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Umm yea I call :censored2: ...there is no way on gods green earth they r just throwin u out there without even knowing if your capable of even driving the truck..much less getting through a route and mo running into problems....

7 Ways to Get Your Posts Edited or Deleted

4. THWART LANGUAGE FILTERS. Using spaces between letters, strange characters or misspellings to get around the language filters to post filtered words is annoying. Your vocabulary is bigger than that. Curse words are not okay. We know you know what that means.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Try not to tell the Mechanic his job if something is wrong.
Agree, that is definitely crossing the line with your mechanics. My mechanics are so great, they have told me just how much they appreciate me for my unselfish acts of kindness towards them. I didn't think it was that big of a deal...I offered the mechanic any tool I owned when his were broken. Come to think of it, it was a pretty amazing exchange between us.
Me: Hey mechanic, you can have any tool I own
Mech: Why would I need your tools?
Me: Well I thought yours were all broken since they dont fix chit.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Agree, that is definitely crossing the line with your mechanics. My mechanics are so great, they have told me just how much they appreciate me for my unselfish acts of kindness towards them. I didn't think it was that big of a deal...I offered the mechanic any tool I owned when his were broken. Come to think of it, it was a pretty amazing exchange between us.
Cheers! All I want is an accurate description of what is going on. I don't tell you guys how to go about your business. You are the pros in that department.

onestoptogo

They would crucify is if we let a guy go out day 1 without a sup.
Granted I was a air driver before I became full-time, but they did not ride with me one day during my qualification period. Just told me what what route I was on and maybe a printout of the pick-ups with the time the regular driver got there. Could be on a different route every day. This was over twenty years ago.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Passed drivers school last week and start monday morning. Got my route and pickup info after class. Its not a training route and they told me im not doing a ride along the first day. So any tips would be nice.

ive never done driver helper or ridden along with a driver and i wasnt on preload so any and all tips would help

sorry about grammar and spelling

image.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
One afternoon my center mgr called me into his office to tell me to go take 20 stops off a PC .
When he told me who was driving the PC , I called him a fool .
His reply was that he had no one else to do it that day , a new hire & an account Ex. I found them after 2pm still at their first stop . Both were clueless . I took everything from their floor , just to give them some room the move about in the PC . Then as I did the stops , I apologized to everyone of why their del & pickups were not being done .
This was a heavy industrial route up and down a steep hill .

By The Book

One afternoon my center mgr called me into his office to tell me to go take 20 stops off a PC .
When he told me who was driving the PC , I called him a fool .
His reply was that he had no one else to do it that day , a new hire & an account Ex. I found them after 2pm still at their first stop . Both were clueless . I took everything from their floor , just to give them some room the move about in the PC . Then as I did the stops , I apologized to everyone of why their del & pickups were not being done .
This was a heavy industrial route up and down a steep hill .
I find that hard to believe....2pm and still at first stop, come on. Where were you that your manager called you into the building? Part time at the time? I think you are exaggerating a weeeee bit, but cool story.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Please don't spell chit, chit. Ur vocabulary is bigger than that or something I got in trouble for....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You all leave this new driver alone! How would you like it if you backed over a mailbox on your first week on the job?