First day!

RozUPS

Hey King

Like I said earlier I was self employed for twenty years so I know where you are coming from. Your not the guy with POOFLINGERS on your car are you?:lol: Anyways good luck and maybe we will cross paths in the building

Griff

I don't understand this mentality of instructing your preloader to do this and that. I come in about 5 minutes before my start time and have never seen or met my preloader. I do not pick through the truck, I take it out on the streets exactly how it was loaded. Telling your preloader how to load is up there (on the stupid things to do list)with skipping your lunch to make service, let them come OJS you if they think you're doing something wrong. I'll never understand these drivers who come in 45 minutes early and essentially work for free.

As for the OP, you'll get your shot at driving in about 1-2 years. West Chester houses one of the largest centers in the district and the other 3 aren't tiny either.

Raw

Raw Member
I thought I would post about my first day.
So today was day #1
Arrived at the center at about 3:55am. I was scheduled to begin at 4:10am. I was amazed at the convoy of rats coming down the street into work. What a bunch of crazy people we are to be heading to work at an ungodly hour. I proceeded through the guard gate, signed in and headed to HR. I arrived in one piece. In the room were 9 other newbies. We filled out some more forms, got our ID's and then went to training. Our trainer was friendly and also a bit comical. Made the morning a tad better. We watched 3 different tapes. 1) on hazardous materials that lasted about 45 minutes. More information in that video then one could grasp or would even need to grasp. It did explain how to handle spills and also how to take care of the documents. 2) was on conveyor belt safety and lockout. Most of the information supplied in this video was common sense, such as...not cutting off a lock. But it was still informative. 3) A video that discussed HABITS. It was somewhat comical especially considering it was hosted by the PBS hometime cast members. We took 2 quizzes that we answered together so there was no way to really fail or even get an answer wrong. We were then sent off to our designated work area's. I was met by a manger who took me into a room to ask a few questions. Such as why do I want the job....why do I need benefits and the like. I wanted to say that it is my business why I wanted the benefits but I bit my tongue. He also wanted to know if I would be able to get up early. Again, I wanted to say something like "I am here aren't I?" But I bit my tongue again. He then brought me to the package car loading area. He introduced me to some young employee who briefly showed me how to load the package cars. After about 5 minutes he left and their I was loading several cars. I was careful to insure that the packages went into their respective places in the appropriate car. I used a crayon to circle each package car number on each box before placing them. After about 30 minutes the kid came back and said I had put a few box's in the wrong slot in the other truck. I asked him to show me. We walked into the other truck and he shows me the packages. I told him I did not put the m there as you can tell because they did not have the number circled. He said it was someone else. Anyway, spent about an hour doing that. It was the one job that I wanted. I certainly did not want to unload feeder trucks. I wanted something that would give my mind at least a little stimulation. I got to see a hazmat removal due to a irate driver that had a box being loaded that was leaking out some spoiled fish goop. I kept my distance as I did not feel the need to smell that. We went back up to the room and spoke a few minutes with the trainer. Then we were dismissed.
WOW!! That wasn`t the least bit interesting. :bored:

Raw

Raw Member
Hang in there KOC. I know its not easy starting out and working for peanuts. Not sure how old you are but too often young people don't look into the future enough. If you can stick with it you should have a pretty secure future.
Here is the so called future - Your wife divorce`s you after 20 years and gets half of your pension when you retire!!

Lobofan5

I don't understand this mentality of instructing your preloader to do this and that. I come in about 5 minutes before my start time and have never seen or met my preloader. I do not pick through the truck, I take it out on the streets exactly how it was loaded. Telling your preloader how to load is up there (on the stupid things to do list)with skipping your lunch to make service, let them come OJS you if they think you're doing something wrong. I'll never understand these drivers who come in 45 minutes early and essentially work for free.

I bet 2 out of 3 days your truck is loaded like complete crap...if not 3 out of 3.