First peak driving..

ChrisTheBrown

Well, it's almost here. This will be my 5th consecutive peak working at my center..My second as an official UPS employee & my very first (cover) driving...Any advice from some of you UPS icons?..
Best of luck to all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Box Ox

Just be safe and do your best. The bean counters won't bother you over peak and everyone will understand you're just starting out. Help the full time permanent drivers out where/when you can so they can keep running residentials and get home at a decent time. For example, you might offer to grab their big pickup stops (UPS Store, etc), apartment stops or take their pickup volume back to your hub/center if your route isn't blown out and you get done early. Drivers tend to remember and will return the favor as you start driving more.

ChrisTheBrown

Thanks guys. This is a big step for me, it's been a long time coming & I'm looking forward to it. The route I qualified on is supposedly the one I'm running during peak..I know it inside & out, so that helps..Just hope I have some decent helpers. I know I always did my absolute best, helping drivers at peak over the past 4 years..I know that great helpers are hard to come by, though.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Well, it's almost here. This will be my 5th consecutive peak working at my center..My second as an official UPS employee & my very first (cover) driving...Any advice from some of you UPS icons?..
Best of luck to all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Best not to look at the load which will look like a Civil War army hospital after a major battle. Just keep plugging along...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Best of luck to all.

Sent using BrownCafe App
1) Get a rechargeable LED spotlight. I got mine for like $20 at home depot and it goes like a week on a charge.
2) When parking on any incline in the winter be super careful. Even if it's an automatic, you have it in park with the handbrake on, your truck can take off without you sliding down the road (It happened to me twice last winter).
3) Reduce your speed in the ice and snow, especially when turning. It will take longer to stop. Sounds like common sense, but it's easy for newer drivers to get package fever and want to gun it.
4) When it's snowing it's sometimes hard to see where roads/driveways are and it's pretty easy to get stuck and then realize you're ripping up someone's lawn accidentally.
5) If it looks like you might get stuck, don't try it. EC it. In some districts you can get hit with an accident for needing a towtruck.
6) You will likely have a helper and spend a good portion of your day sorting while the helper delivers. Stay calm and organized. Don't be afraid to hop out and deliver some if you get caught up sorting.
7) Get rid of big bulk early when possible. You will save a ton of time and headaches if you can break trace and deliver a couple big huge stupid boxes in the morning to help you move around the rest of the day.
8) Treat your helper well. They are doing the schittiest part of our job for a fraction of what we make. Be firm but respectful. If you're at a stop that has iffy dog(s), don't send your helper--go yourself. If you pack your lunch and the helper doesn't have a lunch or money, offer them something from your lunch like an apple or a bag of chips. If you buy them lunch, you'll be in for the stray cat syndrome where they'll expect it everyday.
9) Be careful when walking on ice/snow, especially on hills or icy driveways. You might want to request ice cleats for yourself and your helper. I personally rarely use them, but lots of people swear by them.
10) Always keep a couple of bags of sand on the driver side steps. They'll save your butt.
11) Know the rules for DoT hours and keep track of your DoT hours. It's your responsibility.
12) Take your full lunch and do it at a business where you can get away from the work. You and your helper will need the rest and a place to warm up.

UPSGUY72

Peak is just like any other day you just have more stops and packages. One stop at a time and use your helper make him deliver the package to it's delivery point while you search and sort the next couple of stops and be ready to go to the next stop before your helper gets back to the car. If your helper is sitting in the jump seat and the car isn't moving your wasting time.

Packmule

When the full brunt of it hits and it seems so overwhelming, throughout the day focus on only what you have to do right then. Don't think about the whole day or you will panic, stress out and screw up one way or another.
Also dress well and be comfortable. Waterproof boots are worth every dime they cost.
Also, get a good hat light that frees up your hands and a good spotlight that lights up house numbers at night.
Good luck!