Fit for Duty?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Uh.... No.

A positive test for "reasonable cause" on any employee, is discharge.

Refusing a "reasonable cause" test for any employee, is discharge.

Feeder drivers are offered treatment.... for a positive.... on a random test.

All other employees, are only subjected to "reasonable cause" testing.

All other employees, are offered treatment when requested....

"Prior" to any disciplinary offense.... meaning, "reasonable cause".

That is why.... Article 35, is the largest article in the contract.

-Bug-

What about the language allowing someone to simultaneously provide a blood sample? I'm only familiar with it from the contract side of things not if/how its actually been applied.

Ashell

I'm just curious if you were an off the street hire or someone who had to wait about 10 years to go driver? It sounds like you did DMP, but you could have gone management for 6 month and then they use an off the street spot. I would think anyone who has had to go through the BS inside the hub would be like, I really don't want to do anything to lose my job after that.

I also ask because pot is not really addictive. It was your choice to smoke it. Its legal in some states now, so actually that would have been a great defense. "I visited my buddy in Colorado last weekend and I wanted to try it." But pot wouldn't dilate your pupils days later. So did you do something else more recently? That's the only reason I could think to actually quit, but I know management can be persuasive in their BS. A quick check shows that dilated pupils and headache could be a lot of things, some illegal and some medical conditions. http://symptomchecker.webmd.com/mul...ils|headache&symptomids=514|115&locations=3|2
I would get a carbon monoxide detector for your home personally.

You made a series of poor choices. Try to make better ones. And if someone gave you handout to be driver I have no sympathy for you.

Oak

Seems to me, as soon as a steward was present and the sup's statement was made, I would want to ask a few questions. Such as, what observations led you to believe... Pupils are dialated? To what extent? Did you measure them? Do you have a baseline measurement to compare to? Have you and your witness been professionally trained to observe? By whom? When? Have you attended continuing education on this matter? etc. etc. etc.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Seems to me, as soon as a steward was present and the sup's statement was made, I would want to ask a few questions. Such as, what observations led you to believe... Pupils are dialated? To what extent? Did you measure them? Do you have a baseline measurement to compare to? Have you and your witness been professionally trained to observe? By whom? When? Have you attended continuing education on this matter? etc. etc. etc.

That's why it's important for the members to have solid and competent stewards.

If this happened at the CACH I'd call BS on the whole story. You name it and ptimers have come in on it.

As for the OP the angles I would attempt to rescind your resignation under coercion, would be:
1) What training have these sups had?
2) Can a doctor testify that severe head pain also show the same symptoms.
3) The fact that management announced your termination and the reason violates all sorts of privacy issues as well as slandering you for an ALLEGED issue.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Uh.... No.

A positive test for "reasonable cause" on any employee, is discharge.

Refusing a "reasonable cause" test for any employee, is discharge.

Feeder drivers are offered treatment.... for a positive.... on a random test.

All other employees, are only subjected to "reasonable cause" testing.

All other employees, are offered treatment when requested....

"Prior" to any disciplinary offense.... meaning, "reasonable cause".

That is why.... Article 35, is the largest article in the contract.

-Bug-
I know of a driver who tested dirty for pot after a serious accident....he wasn't working while actually high. They got him treatment...had to do random drug testing for awhile. But he still works here.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have almost never seen UPS test someone for "reasonable cause" unless the person was obviously impaired. It looks like he went in to work messed up when he should have just called in sick.
Especially in preload...if they started randomly testing preloaders...half of them would be gone. I've smelled someone smoking weed while walking through the parking lot at 3am many times.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What about the language allowing someone to simultaneously provide a blood sample?

That is their right.

Not to many members know that.... not to many stewards, know that.

Have you and your witness been professionally trained to observe?
1) What training have these sups had?

Miraculously.... The company always provides the documentation.

It's part of some management training packet.

I know of a driver who tested dirty for pot after a serious accident....he wasn't working while actually high. They got him treatment...had to do random drug testing for awhile. But he still works here.

That means, he tested under the limits in Article 35.

Volunteered for rehab.... Probably a good thing.

If this happened at the CACH I'd call BS on the whole story. You name it and ptimers have come in on it.

I have heard "stories" of people over-dosing....

While waiting to fill out a job application, at CACH.

Hope it's just a story.

-Bug-

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Feeders has random tests. I might have one 3 months in a row, then not have one for 12 months. We had a driver that went back to package car, but because he had a class a license, his name came up for a random test. It doesn't matter if you've been sent back or not, you are required to take it. He dodged the test for a couple of days, then they told him if he didn't take the test, it would be considered as a refusal-positive. Well, he fessed up. Said he went back to pkg cars and had a big pot blowout. He had to go to treatment for several months, tests whenever the company wanted. Come to find out, he took the test and was negative, but he had already fessed up. He's still there.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When people get hired at ups is there a box that asks if you are a pushover on the application?
images-41.jpeg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When people get hired at ups is there a box that asks if you are a pushover on the application?

It's right next to the box....

That asks, if every post you make.... involves juvenile sexual innuendo.

It's funny sometimes.

Repetition, is boring.

You need some new shtick.

-Bug-

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's right next to the box....

That asks, if every post you make.... involves juvenile sexual innuendo.

It's funny sometimes.

Repetition, is boring.

You need some new shtick.

-Bug-
Thanks for the tip, Upstate's twin...you should be his new movie buddy. He'll show you the "cut a hole in the popcorn bucket" trick...lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
From the Local 804 member....

That said, you can request rehab after a "positive" drug test.

-Bug-
So I was correct in advising the OP, albeit after the fact, that he shouldn't have resigned. He should've taken the test. This is, of course, assuming that he didn't show up to work high, just had residual drugs in his system.