Flip the coin (seniority)

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
at my center there is a guy who has the same seniority day as me.
I started at UPS 6 months before him but was given Book at the same date he started making his 30 days so i get to choose vacation first but on center seniority we share the same day, being basically next in line to get out of saturday schedule i asked the union and i was told that most likely we will have to flip the coin to see who has more seniority.

Its this true? i mean something as improtant as seniority it just dont feel right to be decide on a flip coin.

There are supplements that have "coin flip" language.

The rest of your post doesn't make sense to me. You started 6 months before

him, make book on the same date and get to pick vacations first....

But, need a coin flip to determine seniority ? Something doesn't sound right.

Here, we go by whoever punches in first.

I had heard that if two guys have the same seniority date that the tie breaker was date of application

This is how we do it in my Local, in that order.

I can only remember once.... where that has ever happened.

-Bug-

PACNW

I had heard that if two guys have the same seniority date that the tie breaker was date of application ( I can be wrong but it is what I heard)

This is true in my building. We have 2 pairs of guys with the same date. Date of application was the tiebreaker and was determined early on.

rod

Retired 22 years
There is a formula that they use to determine seniority and, yes, date of application is one of the criteria that they use. They also use the first letter of their last names.

You assume all centers operate the same. You should know by now that the BOG is the exception to the rule. Most center managers don't give a rats ass how seniority is determined. In fact if the way they do it can cause more hassles within the ranks --the better. (Keep the troops fighting amongst themselves is UPS operating procedure 101)

Siveriano

ok let me break it down. so i started on july 14 but was given book on january 2015 the same exact day the other guy started working on his 30 days. i keep asking the union but all they do is had me written my name and the other guys name on a piece of paper.

Rack em

Made the Podium
ok let me break it down. so i started on july 14 but was given book on january 2015 the same exact day the other guy started working on his 30 days. i keep asking the union but all they do is had me written my name and the other guys name on a piece of paper.
So you started with the company in July, then started your 30 days the same day in January and the other guy?

Siveriano

So you started with the company in July, then started your 30 days the same day in January and the other guy?
i started on july and by sep 30 i had 29 days in, then on january i got a ride with my manager and he told me that was my day 30 then got lay off for 3 days, then i got call to come to the building for the conference call about me being a full time driver.
the other guy started the 30 days on the same day i got my ride with my manager.

Rack em

Made the Podium
i started on july and by sep 30 i had 29 days in, then on january i got a ride with my manager and he told me that was my day 30 then got lay off for 3 days, then i got call to come to the building for the conference call about me being a full time driver.
the other guy started the 30 days on the same day i got my ride with my manager.
So you didn't drive from September 30th until January? Seems odd. Even if that's the case, your seniority date should be the first day you started your 30 days, not the end.

Siveriano

So you didn't drive from September 30th until January? Seems odd. Even if that's the case, your seniority date should be the first day you started your 30 days, not the end.
ma bad. i got layoff the first 2 weeks of october then started working all the way until i got my ride with my manager on jan.
i spoke with the union today and they said that because i was transfered by UPS to a different center rather than me requesting the transfer, my seniority date should have transfered with me. now just gotta wait for them to find out more about it.