FMLA coverage?

Rodolfo Alvarez

I belong to Teamsters 769. I live in Miami, Florida. My wife was hospitalized on a Monday 12/12/16. I took off from work that same Monday and Tuesday 12/2016. I returned to work the next day on Wednesday 14th. She had surgery on the next day Thursday 15th. I only worked one day that week (Wednesday), knowing that if I work just one day, just "punch in" as they call it, I will be covered in my insurance for that week.
The following week, again, I went to work on Wednesday 21st/2016, again knowing that if I work just one day, I would have coverage for that week.
Th supervisor at work tried to help me out and told me that in order to have coverage, I should file for FMLA. I gave them a call (HR) on Thursday 22nd,2016. They told me that I won't have coverage if I don't work for three(3) days consecutively, so I should have filed for FMLA, but it was too late to file for the week of her surgery the coverage can only go back three days. They told me that I should still file for FMLA for the remaining days of her hospitalization.
My wife was finally discharged on the following week Friday 23rd, 2016.
After I called HR, I called Teamcare and they told me that as long as I worked or "punched in" for at least one day of the week, I will be covered. The lady at Teamcare checked my coverage, and she told me that I have no break in coverage for those two weeks. Furthermore, even if I didn't have coverage for those two weeks, they will notify me to give if I didn't have coverage, so I can file for COBRA.
Here is my confusion: what is FMLA for? Why should I file for FMLA if I worked one day each week and I have no break in coverage? If I do have to file, is Irving too late?

Indecisi0n

When they just "give" you days off it counts against you. Sure your managers might be understanding now but that won't last for long. With FMLA you are protected from any type discipline from missing time at work.