FMLA?

AZChris

Due to a family emergency, I put in a request for FMLA, but they denied me saying I needed medical documentation?

I don't mean to put my personal business out there like that, but I found out my son was being abused by his mother.She slapped my son with so much force,he literally had finger prints embedded in his face.You can even see the print of her press on nails.

The situation left me depressed.I really don't want to go through a custody battle, but that's what I'm going to do.My sons mother denied slapping him in the face, so I'm in the process of hiring I forensic scientist to examine the marks on his face.

This thing is about to get real ugly.

I'm so drained by this situation, it's hard for me to focus on work.I called the FMLA line, but they want documentation to prove that I'm really going through a depression?

Anybody know how to go about getting FMLA for mental health reasons?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Due to a family emergency, I put in a request for FMLA, but they denied me saying I needed medical documentation?

I don't mean to put my personal business out there like that, but I found out my son was being abused by his mother.She slapped my son with so much force,he literally had finger prints embedded in his face.You can even see the print of her press on nails.

The situation left me depressed.I really don't want to go through a custody battle, but that's what I'm going to do.My sons mother denied slapping him in the face, so I'm in the process of hiring I forensic scientist to examine the marks on his face.

I'm so drained by this situation, it's hard for me to focus on work.I called the FMLA line, but they want documentation to prove that I'm really going through a depression?

You already answered your own question.

just_a_number

AZChris:970694 said:

I am on fmla for mental issues including depression...go to a mental health doctor a shrink and they will help you...but be warned this mother friend-er of a company will use it against you they are well known for not playing by the rules of the fmla good luck to you

U

uber

The OP said he was hesitant about a custody battle. He needs to put that hesitation aside and get his son out of that abusive environment immediately.

No.

He said he doesn't want to get into a custody battle, but thats what he's going to do.

brownIEman

Obviously you need to take care of yourself and your son first and foremost.

If FMLA has been denied, that really should not change what you need to do to take care of yourself. Get to a health professional and have them fill out the FMLA paperwork. If you have attendance infractions in the mean time that you get disicplined for, you should be aware that if you get the FMLA approval after seeing a health care professional it is retro-active. Make sure your providor notes that any such days are part of your condition. The discipline is at that point null and void.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Your son needs to see a doctor and have those fingernail marks documented by a MD.
The MD is required to report any and all signs of abuse.

Johney

Your son needs to see a doctor and have those fingernail marks documented by a MD.
The MD is required to report any and all signs of abuse.
First the police should have been called and the mother arrested for child abuse. The police would take pictures and then he should have been taken to the hospital where again it would be documented. Then ask the Drs. and police as to what you should do.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What's really messed up about this is how management is blatantly not giving a flying crap about this employee's problem and helping him find out what he needs to do to make sure his family is safe. Once again management shows how much you and your family mean to them by you having to come to a forum and ask complete strangers on how to proceed while management sits on their hands. Absolutely disgusting how disconnected this new UPS is with their employees.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is amazing what it's like to hear someone run their trap about you accusing you, with enough detail to make it sound like you, even doctor things up perchance; it isn't amazing when you are the one accused.

brownIEman

What's really messed up about this is how management is blatantly not giving a flying crap about this employee's problem and helping him find out what he needs to do to make sure his family is safe. Once again management shows how much you and your family mean to them by you having to come to a forum and ask complete strangers on how to proceed while management sits on their hands. Absolutely disgusting how disconnected this new UPS is with their employees.

Wait, are you suggesting it is my responsibility as a member of management to help employees find out what they need to do to keep their family safe? So I should be getting involved with this employee and helping to direct him to the police and Dr.s and attorneys to get this abuse/custody situation figured out? I am guessing most employees would not want me that deeply involved in their personal issues.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wait, are you suggesting it is my responsibility as a member of management to help employees find out what they need to do to keep their family safe? So I should be getting involved with this employee and helping to direct him to the police and Dr.s and attorneys to get this abuse/custody situation figured out? I am guessing most employees would not want me that deeply involved in their personal issues.
No, what I am suggesting is that you use that supposedly "open door" policy to listen to what he is asking for and guide him on what he needs to do. As a management person I would hope you can identify when someone might be going through something that's effecting his job and maybe be understanding that he might need some help in directing him to obtain some time off to handle it instead of a canned, " You need paperwork to claim FMLA".
Perhaps something like "Hey XXXXXX, everything going ok?" "I know you asked about FMLA and noticed that you seem distressed at work and your performance is showing as such". "I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know my door is open if you need anything". That is how a person in charge of others shows that they give a hoot. I'm not saying to coddle or babysit them, just letting them know you'll help them if they need and actually do so when they ask makes employees respect you more and be better employees as such. But again, I'm asking this of a company values their employees by what a printout says.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Obviously you need to take care of yourself and your son first and foremost.

If FMLA has been denied, that really should not change what you need to do to take care of yourself. Get to a health professional and have them fill out the FMLA paperwork. If you have attendance infractions in the mean time that you get disicplined for, you should be aware that if you get the FMLA approval after seeing a health care professional it is retro-active. Make sure your providor notes that any such days are part of your condition. The discipline is at that point null and void.
This is what his direct supervisor should of told him more or less. I hope you see where I'm coming from in terms of the disconnect with the management/hourly relationship.