For all of you new drivers............

wayfair

swollen member
had to add one... feel free to!!!

Sometimes when my customers don't shovel their stoop I grab a shovel and throw some salt out so I can have access to their door bells.

I recently went and installed screen doors over the weekend so I can have a out of sight/out of weather DR location on all my residential stops.

During my scheduled break last week, I interviewed several candidates for a receptionist position at a mom and pop shop on my route because the owner does not have time to do so, and I need someone to answer the phone when I call to see if the customer has any ARS printer cartridges that need to ship ASAP.

I have a joint checking account with a woman on my route who runs a business that receives COD packages often so I can literally pull out my check book and write a check out when she gets packages.

A print shop on my route recently had 10,000 business cards printed with my name and phone number on it so I can leave at every address on my route.

Also, customers will give me samples of their signature so that I can practice signing for them

Then, I woke up, and realized I'm not Upstate :love-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The intent behind bending and/or breaking the rules for most drivers is probably honorable and some not so much but in the long wrong just not worth the risk. To me successfully bending or breaking the rules 1000 times isn't worth the potential risk of that one time that something goes wrong and and it comes back haunt me. All it takes is that one time to get a driver walked out the door while negating the hundreds or even thousands of successful rule breaking deliveries and costing the driver their job. But I'm not talking about what most would consider arbitrary methods. Hell it's hard not to break them when there are so many. I'm talking about the biggies. I have broken some of them in the past. Mostly during the first two or three years I was driving but after a few close calls and one very nerve racking one I decided enough is enough.

Some customers will accept the extra effort (I struggle to call it that given the nature of the topic) without even knowing that a driver is going outside of their prescribed duties but many are just taking advantage of them. They will do so with a smile on their face but once something goes wrong they won't hesitate to turn on the driver. And sometimes an incident can be triggered accidentally by one of those customers that was ignorant to the fact that the driver was breaking the rules or one that didn't. Like when someone like me doesn't sign for (or forge the customer's signature) the VA meds for a customer that physically can't get to the door or who's work schedule doesn't allow them to be home to receive them. They call in a concern to complain that the driver usually "just signs for them......" but didn't today and didn't even know that it was the cover driver just following the methods. Or maybe a customer calls and thinks they are ratting on "that backup guy" for something they think he did wrong but in the process, and ignorantly, are spilling the beans on their "normal driver."

So, you see there are just too many risks in my opinion. And some infractions won't get you fired but not having them on your record could go a long way in helping a driver if he were later confronted with another issue. If a manager or district manager is looking at the driver's record, or simply knows the driver has had issues with breaking what seems like arbitrary rules, they might see that as a bad sign.

There are extremely few exceptions that I would violate the signing for a customer. I have but those exceptions are for customers that are unable to sign for themselves and there is no one else available. I have a few customers that have palsy in there hands so bad that is all but impossible for them to sign and I have one that cannot use his arms at all. My sup's know of these situations and when I sign, I sign my name not the customers.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
confused.gif
I don't really know man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There are extremely few exceptions that I would violate the signing for a customer. I have but those exceptions are for customers that are unable to sign for themselves and there is no one else available. I have a few customers that have palsy in there hands so bad that is all but impossible for them to sign and I have one that cannot use his arms at all. My sup's know of these situations and when I sign, I sign my name not the customers.

Other than this, I don't care what the customer is doing. I will wait. It is not worth the stress.

oldngray

nowhere special

I did that too. But only for a couple of regular customers who were blind or couldn't use their hands. I delivered to a retirement community with many old people who would get medicine or Depends but couldn't sign for themselves. I wouldn't do it for some random customer I didn't know.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My sup's know of these situations and when I sign, I sign my name not the customers.
There is one stop I struggle with everytime I deliver. It's a diesel mechanic shop where everyone there always has their hands black dirty with grease & gunk and they ask me to just scribble each time. I feel bad asking them to try to find a rag or wait while they wash their hands.

HomeDelivery

that's the only "gray area" that's acceptable... you're face-to-face w/ the consignee & he/she is OK-ing you to scribble for him/her if they can't do it at that moment...

i just say, "your 1st initial, last name please" & move on...

Back first

Dave I can understand why you do this, what I don't get is leaving COD's without collecting at the POD. You say you trust her and she pays when you come back. What would happen if you couldn't make it back? Say you got hurt, hit by a car(I'm serious),or an accident?
Few years ago we had a 25 year driver fired doing this. He got his job back after a week. I haven't left cod's since I was a rookie.