For those of you who "boo-hooed" the end of the space shuttle...

oldngray

nowhere special
X37B is a totally different vehicle with a totally different mission. No comparison to the space shuttle other than it looks a little similar (but much smaller).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just "Space Shuttle" would've been an adequate title for this thread....then anyone could post anything to do with the space shuttle.
You narrowed it so much that you'll have a ball just posting to yourself. I'm just sayin'....... Two words instead of a dozen, but that would be too easy .

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem wasn't the shuttle program ending but that no replacement had been developed yet. Obama killed development on replacements.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The problem wasn't the shuttle program ending but that no replacement had been developed yet. Obama killed development on replacements.

How can you say that, when this program is up and running?

You have no idea what this project is about. You dont know if its intended for manned flights. thats why its TOP SECRET.

The space shuttle program ran its course. It was time to move on to something new and something sustainable.

The space shuttle was outdated and unsafe.

Its clear, the designers and engineers had "developement" well under way when the space shuttle was killed. It just landed back on earth safely after being in space for two years.

TOS.

oldngray

nowhere special
How can you say that, when this program is up and running?

You have no idea what this project is about. You dont know if its intended for manned flights. thats why its TOP SECRET.

The space shuttle program ran its course. It was time to move on to something new and something sustainable.

The space shuttle was outdated and unsafe.

Its clear, the designers and engineers had "developement" well under way when the space shuttle was killed. It just landed back on earth safely after being in space for two years.

TOS.

I can say that because it is a totally different type of vehicle that can never do the missions a shuttle could do.

troll_detected.png

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I can say that because it is a totally different type of vehicle that can never do the missions a shuttle could do.

View attachment 18357

Like I said originally when the shuttle was killed. The days of the astronaut are over. There is no need to put humans in space any longer. Technology has replaced the need for a human to do the things to fly or go into outer space.

Computers and software along with robotics have replaced the need for human interaction.

The future of space flight will be absent of astronauts.

The space shuttle served its purpose. Now the future vehicles will be unmanned and the risk of human life eliminated.

That is progress.

TOS.

brett636

Like I said originally when the shuttle was killed. The days of the astronaut are over. There is no need to put humans in space any longer. Technology has replaced the need for a human to do the things to fly or go into outer space.

Computers and software along with robotics have replaced the need for human interaction.

The space shuttle served its purpose. Now the future vehicles will be unmanned and the risk of human life eliminated.

That is progress.

TOS.

There are plenty of people who hold doctorates on the numerous studies of space and space travel who would whole heartedly disagree with you.

wayfair

swollen member

That is progress.

TOS.

They keep telling us about progress at work with ORION... hahahaaaaa

upschuck

This program was part of the USAF, so I imagine that would be for defense, and not for exploration. NASA has given us a lot of inventions that we use everyday.

BrownArmy

This is just a really high-flying drone.

This has nothing to do with space travel, in which our government has dropped the ball.

(after we retired the space-shuttle, we were relying on Russia, but that's not working out, so now we're relying on the guy who created PayPal and the Tesla cars...)

On a side-note, on a different forum, someone asked:

"Why don't we go to the moon now, with all of our newer technology?"

It turns out, we actually cannot implement any technology used in the Apollo missions that brought us to the moon, because that technology doesn't exist anymore.

(It makes as much sense to you as it does to me, yet...)

We've lost that technology.

Kind of sad, no?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This is just a really high-flying drone.

This has nothing to do with space travel, in which our government has dropped the ball.

(after we retired the space-shuttle, we were relying on Russia, but that's not working out, so now we're relying on the guy who created PayPal and the Tesla cars...)

On a side-note, on a different forum, someone asked:

"Why don't we go to the moon now, with all of our newer technology?"

It turns out, we actually cannot implement any technology used in the Apollo missions that brought us to the moon, because that technology doesn't exist anymore.

(It makes as much sense to you as it does to me, yet...)

We've lost that technology.

Kind of sad, no?

This experimental space vehicle is a test vehicle for things to come. The future of unmanned space flight. This vehicle has been in space for two years. No oxygen needed. No astronauts to push buttons or take up space.

Computers and robotics have replaced the astronaut and this test proves it.

No pilot needed for landing.

A great advancement for the space industry.

TOS.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

This is painful for me.....but, I agree with you.

Who cares about the International Space Station, or repairing satellites. How many MILLIONS of dollars does it cost to send a flight into space? Surely that money could be put to better use on this planet (not that government would be able to agree on how to spend it wisely).

Let Richard Branson and his friends further the space program privately, have fun guys! We don't need to step foot on Mars, and we're not going to colonize the moon or Mars, so just stop it.