Forced Ignore List

gingerkat

I think Just give them a target and like a pack of hyenas, they will attack.
Speaking of hyenas, I think I look like one right now. I had a dark spot on my face and it's getting darker and now coloring my hair myself has me looking like I'm heading for Serengeti National Park.

How's that for derailing the derailed thread? If we keep taking all these left turns like I did, we will be back to where we started. See mods, if you leave things "as is" it always works itself out!:grouphugg:

Kind of life a forest fire up in the Sequoia National Forest. They let it burn out, so new life can grow.

moreluck

golden ticket member
[quote="Hoaxster,

I personally don't like the idea of this type of forum.[/quote]
I thought that was what the chat room was for.

bill blutnach

I would like to see a "special room" or something like that where if two (or more) people wanted to go into it and fight it out - no holds barred- no words censored then they could. Anyone WANTING to witness the train wreck would have to use a special password to log in to it. Anyone not wanting to witness it could stay on the well moderated, too many rules normal BC.

we should call this a chat room yes?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why is UpstateNYUPSer allowed to start a thread questioning a moderators decision?
Isn't that a violation of the beloved TOS?

Yes it is and I was going to send UpState a "stern talking to warning" message but he has "Conversations" turned off.
Next time he does it, Cheryl will put him in queue (since she is the only one that can put anybody in queue).
Assuming we can convince her to do so ... and I think that is doable.
Of course, that will triple the Mods workload ... I may resign!

bill blutnach

Yes it is and I was going to send UpState a "stern talking to warning" message but he has "Conversations" turned off.
Next time he does it, Cheryl will put him in queue (since she is the only one that can put anybody in queue).

boot him from die family site. My children do not like old meanies...:)

TOS or not UpState had a valid point in starting this thread. If the "mgmt." seems to think they need to go to the extent of deciding who and who not each member can speak to then they might as well sit around and just talk to themselves as I feel that will be something to start pushing people away.

Mods can be mods but we don't need babysitters.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Baloney! I believe it was you who said that mods could send PM's even to members not accepting them. Don't make me look it up.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Mods can be mods but we don't need babysitters.
You were a mod... call it babysitting if you like but when members choose to bicker on the public forum and then other members complain to me about it I look for a solution. If you have a better way to deal with this situation then please share it. All suggestions and criticisms are always welcome.

If someone visits our forum for the very first time and the only page they read is full of off topic personal attacks it undermines the credibility of our entire community.

"Unfortunately the actions of a vocal few often generate the public image of the larger community they are a member of. These flagrant posts might be the first (and last) thing someone reads when he or she stops by the site to consider joining our community.

It's understandable that some of us differ in opinions and can get heated about them. It happens. I'm just asking that we all use a little common sense before hitting submit."

You were a mod...

You're right I was a mod and if I remember correctly when I asked how to do it as I had no experience I was told to use my judgment. So I handled it the way I mentioned above. If I came across a disagreement that wasn't too personal or hostile I let it stand. If there were offending words I changed the one word at let the theme of the post stand. If it was too personal or hostile I dumped the whole thing.
But what I felt was the way to do it was different than how others feel to do it and those inconsistencies create their own problems. It should be established across the board. Speeding is speeding, get a ticket. Hostile is hostile, get a ticket. Offensive is offensive, get a ticket.

call it babysitting if you like but when members choose to bicker on the public forum and then other members complain to me about it I look for a solution. If you have a better way to deal with this situation then please share it. All suggestions and criticisms are always welcome.

Unless, as Hoax has pointed out, those suggestions and criticisms are against a Mod or policy. Criticism that is personal or hostile like any other post should be treated the same. Criticism or questioning of an action that is done in a respectfully manor should be allowed, especially out in the open. If you feel an action was warranted, such as UpState and 407 being given a time out from each other, then stand by your reason and say so publicly. If you had posted your decision there are those of us , myself included, that would have backed you as it was getting carried away. But to do it behind the scenes is the part I disagree with.

If someone visits our forum for the very first time and the only page they read is full of off topic personal attacks it undermines the credibility of our entire community.

As does the credibility of first time visitors who swoop in to create chaos by starting a storm of hostility in the community.

See quoted response please.

All of this could have been prevented had I been given the courtesy of a "heads up" PM from "the staff".

A lot could be prevented if you'd just have a working PM box. Something between two people could stay between two people, good or bad. Your PM box is subject to the same rules as the public forum if not more so. Anything someone said that was too hostile or personal could be reported , and IMO, should be dealt with more severely because the attacker would have to go to more trouble to do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot could be prevented if you'd just have a working PM box. Something between two people could stay between two people, good or bad. Your PM box is subject to the same rules as the public forum if not more so. Anything someone said that was too hostile or personal could be reported , and IMO, should be dealt with more severely because the attacker would have to go to more trouble to do it.

My settings do not prevent "the staff" from contacting me.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I'm curious. Since 407 was the member added to upstates ignore list, how come he hasn't responded to this? Anybody know?