forgot to put lunch in my board

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
So you never forget to do anything? WOW, it must be nice to be perfect.

Did I say I was perfect? How hard is it to enter your lunch when you stop to take it? I do this everytime I stop for lunch because I know that I'll forget if I leave it until the end of the day.

Trplnkl,
I know this to be true because here in the northeast we get large snowstorms. When this happens many drivers work through their lunch and get back to the buildng ASAP to minimize their road time in the storm.

Since we are deducted 1 hour for lunch we must hang around the center for an hour before we punch out. The problem I have with this is, they are paying us anyway, why not pay us for our lunch and let us get a head start back home through the snowstorm?
Oh I don't disagree with you. I don't know how they enter this in the board..lunch time then return to building or Visa Versa. The few times I have finished meal time at the center, that's how I did it. Here they will not allow us to show a return to building before we actually get there , then punch out to to take the meal that hour. It's a screwed up deal.

959Nanook

you want to help us pay the next lunch law suit that comes down the pipe?

Ummmm.... I don't think the lawsuit was because drivers were forgetting to punch lunch into DIADs. The documents from the lawsuit assert otherwise. One of the accusations was that UPS was "taking a standard lunch deduction regardless of the actual lunch period recorded by drivers" in violation of California Labor Codes. Unfortunately, UPS wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last organization, corporate or otherwise, to err on the extreme in response to legal troubles.

Certainly, UPS has an understandable position that lunches that are taken need to be recorded for employees who are not compensated for lunch periods so they know what period of time not to pay an employee. Where the difference lies is that a driver "forgetting" to put lunch into his or her DIAD is not the same as an employer with company policies that systematically violate the law (UPS is not the only employer of Teamsters who has been accused of violating California Labor Codes). It is a matter of intent.

BigBrownSanta

I wonder how much UPS would owe the IRS in back taxes and penalties if the IRS were to investigate all the years UPS has allowed (encouraged?) drivers to claim a lunch when they actually spent the hour working without compensation...

J

jeblatz

I have two (2) very simple solutions to the drivers that are having difficulty remembering to put their lunch in the DIAD.

Take you lunch and breaks allowed by the company. When you stop for your break, immediately go to the 'lunch and breaks' option in the 'timecard' section of the DIAD menu. Once there, enter you start time. When the break is over, enter that time.

Option two, for those of us that reqularly skip lunch (not recommended) or have to to get out for an important event ( I'm guilty of this). First ask the center manager if you can get paid for your lunch. I've gotten a few yes' from him as I don't ask often or unless there will be service failures.

If the manager won't pay you for your lunch and you need to work through it, as soon as you get your negative response, go to 'lunch and breaks' and just put in a time. At the end of the day when you go to punch out the DIAD will prompt you with "finish time required" and this will remind you to enter a lunch.

When I skip lunch, I always enter a starting lunch time that is 1 minute after I punch out. This way, you're not falsifying delivery records. You simply chose to take your lunch after all your work was completed.

What???? Why don't you simply follow the contract every day and take your lunch? Any recording in the DIAD that is different from what actually occured is falsification.

Griff

I wonder how much UPS would owe the IRS in back taxes and penalties if the IRS were to investigate all the years UPS has allowed (encouraged?) drivers to claim a lunch when they actually spent the hour working without compensation...

It would make the IRS thing with FedEx look like nothing. It's the dirty little secret of UPS nationwide.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
My first 7 years driving full time, I put my lunch time in sporadically. When I remembered too, I would go to the screen and put in my time. I have been a good driver with good numbers and no one has ever questioned me about when I took my lunch. All I knew was my hour was taken out of my pay regardless so It would be stupid not too

NOW, all of a sudden, It's a threat of my career at UPS will be taken away if I forget to put my time in the computer, THAT is the BS

All you Union Hogs that know every sentence in the contract verbatim will make it sound like a driver who doesn't put his lunch in the board is weak and ill advised Teamster

I do my job and go home, Sups know I do my job and don't bother me, My numbers (to them) are fair, I don't complain and I don't get complained about.

But when I forget to put it in, they act like I just opened the back door and threw all my packages into the Connecticut River yesterday. This is one thing which I believe has gone way overboard

My first 7 years driving full time, I put my lunch time in sporadically. When I remembered too, I would go to the screen and put in my time. I have been a good driver with good numbers and no one has ever questioned me about when I took my lunch. All I knew was my hour was taken out of my pay regardless so It would be stupid not too

NOW, all of a sudden, It's a threat of my career at UPS will be taken away if I forget to put my time in the computer, THAT is the BS

All you Union Hogs that know every sentence in the contract verbatim will make it sound like a driver who doesn't put his lunch in the board is weak and ill advised Teamster

I do my job and go home, Sups know I do my job and don't bother me, My numbers (to them) are fair, I don't complain and I don't get complained about.

But when I forget to put it in, they act like I just opened the back door and threw all my packages into the Connecticut River yesterday. This is one thing which I believe has gone way overboard
I agree with ya Douglas.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
For me, I input my break and lunch times when I am refueling my vehicle

and what happens when the company is tailing you on this day, and you punch in some time when they can document you were delivering? And say, you put down you took lunch from 12-1, but really you took it from 12:15-1:15, and they have you on video sitting at mickydees at 1:15 drinking a coke, but your diad shows you punched back in 15 minutes earlier? Seen this kinda stuff happen. Loss prevention has nothing but time on their hands. I would rather get into good habits than take a chance.

Force yourself to do it for a week, then it becomes second nature. When you pull the keys out for lunch, hit the start lunch key. When you start your car, hit the finished lunch key. That will automatically record the actual time.

As for driving home while they pay you for your unused lunch, what happens if you are involved in an auto accident on the way home? You are on the clock, right? That is a big liability that UPS will not want to take.

I too have skipped lunch for what ever reason during the day, and taken it when I get back into the building, as well as my 10 minute paid break. One time there were as many as 45-50 drivers all in the office taking their lunch.

If you dont take it, its free money for UPS.

d

If you don't follow the contract and take your lunch, why should mgmt. follow the contract? You can't pick and choose what parts you want to follow. It's all or none. Someday you will be fired for dishonesty (not taking a lunch, working through lunch) both firable offenses in parts of the country.

local804

As for driving home while they pay you for your unused lunch, what happens if you are involved in an auto accident on the way home? You are on the clock, right? That is a big liability that UPS will not want to take.

d

Two very good points

local804

If you don't follow the contract and take your lunch, why should mgmt. follow the contract? You can't pick and choose what parts you want to follow. It's all or none. Someday you will be fired for dishonesty (not taking a lunch, working through lunch) both firable offenses in parts of the country.

correct

local804

Why would us "hogs" think that a driver forgetting to put a break in the board is a weak and ill advised teamster? If anything, I personally wouldnt like to give the fat cats no ammo for their guns.
Your other comment about the river made me chuckle :)
Where are you from , Hartford?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Why would us "hogs" think that a driver forgetting to put a break in the board is a weak and ill advised teamster? If anything, I personally wouldnt like to give the fat cats no ammo for their guns.
Your other comment about the river made me chuckle :)
Where are you from , Hartford?

You got it, Brother Local 671

My comment was aimed more to the people who feel that not taking a lunch and not putting it in the board are the same thing
I take my lunch but like I had posted, I've been so used to skipping the lunch screen so often, it happens.
Then management gets on you the next morning
If your on the morning report, it doesn't matter if you filed 100 grievances or 0, you're treated the same

and what happens when the company is tailing you on this day, and you punch in some time when they can document you were delivering? And say, you put down you took lunch from 12-1, but really you took it from 12:15-1:15, and they have you on video sitting at mickydees at 1:15 drinking a coke, but your diad shows you punched back in 15 minutes earlier? Seen this kinda stuff happen. Loss prevention has nothing but time on their hands. I would rather get into good habits than take a chance.

Force yourself to do it for a week, then it becomes second nature. When you pull the keys out for lunch, hit the start lunch key. When you start your car, hit the finished lunch key. That will automatically record the actual time.

I too have skipped lunch for what ever reason during the day, and taken it when I get back into the building, as well as my 10 minute paid break. One time there were as many as 45-50 drivers all in the office taking their lunch.

d
Technically, no you are not on the clock. Meal times are off the clock, that's why you are not supposed to deliver or drive the package car while on meal time. Right?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Technically, no you are not on the clock

Well, yes and no. If you are not on the clock, then why not just punch out before you go home?

And while we are speaking of technical, under the contract, unless the union and company agree, lunch is to be taken between .......????

I understand what you are saying though. BUt if you are not punched out, and you leave the center to go home, there is a liability there for UPS. Technically you are on duty, even when you are at lunch. So until you punch off the clock, anything you do reflects on UPS. And as such, until you punch off the clock, they do have a liability.

d