Fred S Created FedEx. Now He Has to Reinvent It.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Fred S Created FedEx. Now He Has to Reinvent It. - MSN

Fred S bristles at any hint that FedEx Corp., the global delivery giant he built over four decades, could be disrupted by a player such as Amazon.com Inc.

“You can’t just overnight decide, ‘I’m going to pick up from every person in the world and every business in the world and be able to deliver it to every other,’ ” Mr. Smith said in a recent interview. “It’s fantastical.”

“Fantastical” is one of Mr. Smith’s favorite words to describe the possibility of being beaten by new rivals. He also used it last December, following a disappointing earnings report, to fend off analysts asking about Amazon’s push into the delivery business.

The next day, FedEx’s stock fell more than 12%. Dave Clark, Amazon’s senior vice president of world-wide operations, tweeted: “Ho!Ho!Ho! Have a Fantastical Holiday everyone!!!,” with a photo of an Amazon Prime branded jet model.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Except for it was too late and short-sighted. They dropped Amazon without having the volume to replace it forcing them to take freight from ground.
Ups and fed ex should have done it about 10 years ago.

I also wonder how much of it has to do with ego. Fred and bezos obviously have big egos and their businesses are their babies.

MAKAVELI

Ups and fed ex should have done it about 10 years ago.

I also wonder how much of it has to do with ego. Fred and bezos obviously have big egos and their businesses are their babies.
Fred is old and behind the times. Bezos is always looking ahead 5 20 years down the road and he's not afraid to fail..