Free PC Downloads

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering what kind of free downloads my fellow BrownCafers use. Notice I said Free Downloads, all of the ones I am going to mention are offered for free, although the people who offer them sometimes will offer a faster or more feature loaded version for pay. I am by no means an expert with computers. Be careful of other software that has a similar sounding name.These are programs I use personally, in no way are they officially endorsed by this site.

1. Spybot Search and Destroy. This program scans your computer for the more than 80,000 Spyware and Adware programs that can be secretly downloaded onto your computer without your knowledge. Usually your anti-virus software is not looking for these and they slip through while you are browsing the internet. This leads for problems like your computer slowing down and possibly crashing, besides the obvious problem of somebody is spying on what you are looking at.

2. AVG Antivirus. I have been using this for over a year on my Toshiba Notebook and it has worked fine. The free version is going to expire next week, I am going to upgrade to a pay version that will be faster and has more features. It is from Grisoft. AVG Free Advisor: Free anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware tools. It is probably a good idea to completely remove your old antivirus program if you install this. It works for both Windows and Linux operating systems.

3. Firefox Browser. Replace your Microsoft Explorer internet browser with the latest version of Firefox from Mozilla. It seems to work faster and doesn't take up as much space.

4. Belarc Analysis Tool. This can be found at Belarc - System Management For The Internet Age, it is a program that goes through your computer and tells you exactly what kind of hardware and software you have. If you are some kind of techie genius, you know where to look to find this info. This program tells you who made what, what version of software you have, and what the latest fixes you have all in one quick place to look.

Any more out there? Post them on here and let the rest of us know. Be careful, anything you find on the internet can cause problems if you download them. The ones I listed are ones I have been using for at least a year, they all work fine.:thumbup1:

Last edited:

lasdlt

ZoneAlarm Firewall!

100 times better than anything Norton puts in their piece of junk. Will block every intrusion attempt you can think of, and best of all, it's free! And it gets regular updates (just got updated to version 7). It is a must for any computer that is connected to the internet or a network.

rushfan

I like firefox alot. There are many extentions to customize the browser to your taste.
Also, I like the thunderbird email client.

Not to plug radio programs, but I check komando.com kim komando's website. She has links to freeware.