Free speech

vantexan

Like I said, China. Google's more than happy to let China do whatever they want, and even build them a search engine specifically catered to the CCP's censorship laws. All to gain access to the Chinese market.
China is attacking the search engine that's building them a biased search engine? I know about them building that engine, which ought to be illegal for an American company to do. But then you've got the NBA apologizing for a team exec criticizing the Chinese treatment of Hong Kong. The reason this country is in trouble is too many Americans would sell us out to get rich.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
China is attacking the search engine that's building them a biased search engine? I know about them building that engine, which ought to be illegal for an American company to do. But then you've got the NBA apologizing for a team exec criticizing the Chinese treatment of Hong Kong. The reason this country is in trouble is too many Americans would sell us out to get rich.

Not attacking google, manipulating the available data that Google's algorithms use. The attack isn't on google itself, it's on the users, skewing search results to indirectly alter what people consider normal. For instance, during the H1N1 outbreak, it would have been considered abnormal to the point of a mental illness to see people walking around with face coverings. But, the attitude towards it changed pretty quick during Covid. When people who would have otherwise resisted masks start googling it, and all they see is CNN, Washington post, vox, msnbc, etc. ad naseum, all presenting opinion pieces supporting the argument that people should wear masks, what would you expect to happen? People think that "experts" and "everyone else" say(s) it's good, who are they to argue? There's transgenderism, white privilege, and so on, which are not supported by science or reason, and which have gained normalization in a relatively short period of time.

I'm not saying it's all or only China, and I am fairly certain Google is aware of what is being done, but they don't care to try and control how others influence the available information, especially if they agree with the agenda, or it will get them access to the giant China Market, they only index it.

That's all my take on it. Don't know what or how much of that is actually going on, but it's not outside the realm of possibility, and I find it highly probable. On the other hand, it could just be that what is happening throughout western civilization is the result of too many people with untreated mental disorders getting access to wide audiences via social media, and spreading their delusions. It really is a fascinating time to be alive.

JJinVA

I remember me and my brother trolling dudes in internet chatrooms on dialup when we were 13. We'd get them all worked up and tell them we were hot chics and then be like, "Feel up my leg, what do you feel?", and then be like, "Na, you feel my nutz cause I'm a dude" and theyd get super pissed. Ahhh it was great laughs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember me and my brother trolling dudes in internet chatrooms on dialup when we were 13. We'd get them all worked up and tell them we were hot chics and then be like, "Feel up my leg, what do you feel?", and then be like, "Na, you feel my nutz cause I'm a dude" and theyd get super pissed. Ahhh it was great laughs.
That was you.? I always hated you.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I don't know when Google started----I could probably Google it.
I first heard of in in 1999 and it's search engine was way beyond it's competitors.
The name Google is a misspelling of Googol, the number 1 followed by 100 zeros, which was picked to signify that the search engine was intended to provide large quantities of information.