From Preloader to Driver.

Preloadblues

I've been a Upser for almost 2 years now, it's by far the best job I've ever had. Physically demanding though it may be, It's a great gig for any one who can get used to the speed and moderately heavy lifting. I want to become a ground driver, I was driver-helper for peak season and I believe it's some thing I can do. The main reason I'm hesitant to apply to be a driver is because I have zero experience with the brown box trucks. Does U.p.s. take the time to train people to drive these large vehicles? What are some of the most important steps to take to ensure that I pass the road test? If there is already a thread for these sort of questions than I apologize.

BiggieBrown

If you're that afraid just switch to twilight.
You'll be a better at driving the trucks than the drivers.
Half of our drivers can't even back the :censored2:ing things into the building straight.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've been a Upser for almost 2 years now, it's by far the best job I've ever had. Physically demanding though it may be, It's a great gig for any one who can get used to the speed and moderately heavy lifting. I want to become a ground driver, I was driver-helper for peak season and I believe it's some thing I can do. The main reason I'm hesitant to apply to be a driver is because I have zero experience with the brown box trucks. Does U.p.s. take the time to train people to drive these large vehicles? What are some of the most important steps to take to ensure that I pass the road test? If there is already a thread for these sort of questions than I apologize.
amazingly you're the first one!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Use earn and learn to take truck driving at local technical college. Then you will be ready for anything.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
C2D5009E-6F04-49F7-BF30-FDA02A952626.gif

Wow you really are horrible driver

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
If you are interested in training, then I would let a FT Sup, Center Manager, and/or HR know. Where I am at, they are literally begging folks to finish precourse work to attend Intergrad.

turq

I've heard of people coming in on a Saturday and practicing in the parking lot. But you will need to get permission and someone to come in and help you. You could also go rent a Budget/Ryder truck to practice on. Not exactly the same thing, but it will make you more comfortable driving a UPS truck.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Can you drive an automatic?

Pooter

There’s only one way to gain that experience. Obviously, get behind the wheel.

Sign up if possible for Saturday air or even Seasonal driving while u wait for your chance at FT driver.

Don’t let the size intimidate you. Its easy to adjust

flappybutt

1. Go get your class E license
  2. Practice driving in the biggest truck you can.
  3. Ask your driver supervisor to schedule an on road test, if they still do that. This is basically just a test to see if you can handle a big vehicle. From my experience we just went a couple blocks through town and back to the building, and the pass or fail you by their opinion.
  4. Practice and memorize your fives and tens. Seriously, don't slack on this. It's all they care about. You can learn them as now and practice while driving your own vehicle.
  5. Go to integrad. This is a week long payed driver boot camp, or in my case I got lucky and didn't have to set foot in a vehicle the whole week. They just drilled you with your 5's and 10's
  6. ????? not much profit till you grind to top pay. ?????
Biggest things is be confident, suck up to your on road sup, know your 5's and 10's and get comfortable with the vehicle.

Arch

A vast majority of drivers had no experience driving those trucks and they drove them no problems.

As long as you know how to drive and drive safely, everything becomes common sense. Don't over think it.

DeliveryMachine

When you become a UPS driver some people assume the hardest part of the job is handling that big truck. You will soon find out, that will be the least of your worries.