Front Door Demonstrations

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
For the record, I do avoid sounding like I'm talking down. It's just frustrating that so many still don't use their loadstands and toss packages around or behind very loose, half finished walls. Or throw down packages that read FRAGILE. They put glassware underneath heavy loads. And just 2 weeks ago, I had TWO walls fall on me because they didn't build them right. I was screaming until my throat was sore for help, but the part-time sups were no where. I still have gashes on my back from having to pull myself out.

And I'm not just the Co-Chair, I also mentor 3 other departments because no one wants to step up. Areas I don't work in so I'm always second guessing if I missed something, which I do, because I'm not there on the floor in the thick with everyone to know the day to day grind. So like my username, I'm burnt out and spread thin.

You’re the hardest worker in the building aren’t you

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
For the record, I do avoid sounding like I'm talking down. It's just frustrating that so many still don't use their loadstands and toss packages around or behind very loose, half finished walls. Or throw down packages that read FRAGILE. They put glassware underneath heavy loads. And just 2 weeks ago, I had TWO walls fall on me because they didn't build them right. I was screaming until my throat was sore for help, but the part-time sups were no where. I still have gashes on my back from having to pull myself out.

And I'm not just the Co-Chair, I also mentor 3 other departments because no one wants to step up. Areas I don't work in so I'm always second guessing if I missed something, which I do, because I'm not there on the floor in the thick with everyone to know the day to day grind. So like my username, I'm burnt out and spread thin.

Did you report the accident?

You were probably not born yet but the last time we actually had Union involvement with Safety issues was the February l994 one day strike called by Ron Carey. It was about the company's expanding to a 150 pound weight limit without prior negotiations, when I hired in the weight limit was 50 pounds now we are becoming a second hand freight handler. This overweights and irregulars dominate most of our serious work related injuries and damages, most of our older buildings were not designed to adequately transport these kind of packages. One of your first tasks is to keep these over 50's and irregulars off the belt, any package with an AH symbol which now includes packages over 50 pounds and 48 inches should be handled by a irreg driver..Our shippers are being charged 25 dollars extra for that service...

I believe that you are serious about your task, but you are just "chasing the wind"...First of all these kids that you are preaching to have no intention of staying, they are young and therefore think they are invincible, so why not lift that 150 irreg by themselves as their part time supervisions who are in the 20's also look the other way.

I had two work related (no days off) injuries in 40 + years, both involved irregulars...One slipped out of my hands and caused a gash in my shin, 14 stitches, the other was one of those heavy metal truck springs that pinched one of my fingers, no serious injury but I reported it just the same and my manager's concerned response was less than pathetic, as expected..With the last negotiations one of the International's proposals was to have a classification that would just handle these increasing Irregulars and overweights, it would of been a two person team with the proper equipment to safely move and deliver...It was rejected by the Company as not profitable and the 22.4 language was it's replacement, now we are seeing that most of those LIB's irregulars left on the preload are being handled by the 22.4's and these non union PVD who are stuffing them in their private vehicles.

Last edited:

UnionGuy

I always ignore safety committee. I'm not trying to be late. Plus it's off the clock, pay me and I'll stay for the whole duration.

clean hairy

I always ignore safety committee. I'm not trying to be late. Plus it's off the clock, pay me and I'll stay for the whole duration.
Could you stop and visit with the person for say, 10 minutes?
Then put down you started 10 min early?
After all, we are to be paid for all time spent in service of the employer, and 10 min spent talking about safety would qualify?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
70A66E03-FF4C-48A6-BE35-CAF48AB327EF.jpeg

:lol:
🧔✊

Integrity

Binge Poster

Are you hourly or management?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Did you report the accident?

You were probably not born yet but the last time we actually had Union involvement with Safety issues was the February l994 one day strike called by Ron Carey. It was about the company's expanding to a 150 pound weight limit without prior negotiations, when I hired in the weight limit was 50 pounds now we are becoming a second hand freight handler. This overweights and irregulars dominate most of our serious work related injuries and damages, most of our older buildings were not designed to adequately transport these kind of packages. One of your first tasks is to keep these over 50's and irregulars off the belt, any package with an AH symbol which now includes packages over 50 pounds and 48 inches should be handled by a irreg driver..Our shippers are being charged 25 dollars extra for that service...

I believe that you are serious about your task, but you are just "chasing the wind"...First of all these kids that you are preaching to have no intention of staying, they are young and therefore think they are invincible, so why not lift that 150 irreg by themselves as their part time supervisions who are in the 20's also look the other way.

I had two work related (no days off) injuries in 40 + years, both involved irregulars...One slipped out of my hands and caused a gash in my shin, 14 stitches, the other was one of those heavy metal truck springs that pinched one of my fingers, no serious injury but I reported it just the same and my manager's concerned response was less than pathetic, as expected..With the last negotiations one of the International's proposals was to have a classification that would just handle these increasing Irregulars and overweights, it would of been a two person team with the proper equipment to safely move and deliver...It was rejected by the Company as not profitable and the 22.4 language was it's replacement, now we are seeing that most of those LIB's irregulars left on the preload are being handled by the 22.4's and these non union PVD who are stuffing them in their private vehicles.
The Union is all for safe working and workplace safety at UPS.

Ackerlin

So I've been working for UPS for almost 2 years now and now I'm working in the office as a Co-Chair of CHSP. Part of my job is to create the Front Door Demos, where I greet the employees as the day sort starts and try to educate them on safety tips, reminders, or general health and wellness. I used to have a Sup who took the time and effort to plan ahead so I knew what to talk about each day, but she moved on and now I just have a folder of daily Safety Blitz'. Now all the responsibility falls to me as well as taking pictures to show to other districts of our efforts. But I'm starting to burnout; especially with COVID, the physical interactive and engaging demonstrations are limited. Not only that, most come in with no interest to acknowledge me or so late that they have no time to even stop. I really want people to be safe on the job, not just for the company, but for themselves and so I don't feel like some Front Door Clown that's taking up space or like a human pop-up ad. What can I do to give some helpful advice and add some levity during these times of general ennui?

Unfortunately, this is exactly what you are now, nothing left to do but embrace it.