FT driver layoff questions.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Funny how in ups world that every center works differently. At my center they will tell you to declare on friday and then when they need you on wednesday to drive they pull you off to do so. The rules for this type of situation should be cut and dry but we all know that isn't how it works. I would talk to your steward.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hello,

Thank you everyone for the help. I think there is a consensus with respect to seniority. I really appreciate all of the help, also is there a online central region supplement that I can look at as a .pdf or the like?

Thanks again.

This issue is quiet simple. No need for complications.

The ONLY thing that matters is CENTER SENIORITY. It makes no difference how much company time you have, how much part time you have, its ALL bout your SENIORITY in the center you are assigned to.

If you take a transfer to another center, you LOSE all your gained seniority in your center and fall to the bottom of the list in your new center.

Its that simple.

Once given notice that you are going to be layed off, its up to YOU to request your guaranteed 8 hours a day by bumping part timers inside the building.

If you elect to go on a stand by list, then you are screwing yourself.

However, Lets say you went on a standby list on friday, then you didnt work monday or tuesday, then they call you in for wednesday to drive, then you would be guaranteed the remainder of the week.

So, with respect to this topic, center seniority always prevails regardless of total time with the company.

This is NOT the time to take a transfer should it arise and you be eligible.

Anyone who transfered over the last few months are the most vulnerable.

:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This issue is quiet simple. No need for complications.

The ONLY thing that matters is CENTER SENIORITY. It makes no difference how much company time you have, how much part time you have, its ALL bout your SENIORITY in the center you are assigned to.

If you take a transfer to another center, you LOSE all your gained seniority in your center and fall to the bottom of the list in your new center.

Its that simple.

Once given notice that you are going to be layed off, its up to YOU to request your guaranteed 8 hours a day by bumping part timers inside the building.

If you elect to go on a stand by list, then you are screwing yourself.

However, Lets say you went on a standby list on friday, then you didnt work monday or tuesday, then they call you in for wednesday to drive, then you would be guaranteed the remainder of the week.

So, with respect to this topic, center seniority always prevails regardless of total time with the company.

This is NOT the time to take a transfer should it arise and you be eligible.

Anyone who transfered over the last few months are the most vulnerable.

:wink2:

That is 100% incorrect in many areas, and the only way to be sure what the policy is, is to ask HR and ask a union rep or BA.

Here in N.E. for example there is no such thing as "center seniority".

Layoffs go by friend/T seniority date first for all friend/T employees. If they started the same day, it goes by P/T company seniority date. ALL friend/Ts have seniority over P/T employees.

You are speaking regional language or policies you know of when you talk about center seniority.

For ex: here in N.E., I have bounced around 3 buildings so far friend/T and keep my seniority (both P/T company and friend/T). In other areas I would have lost all seniority and bumped to bottom of list.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
At the time of layoff a full time employee can elect to bump 2 part time, 1 part time, or take the layoff. In the Central States rider it says the full timer can bump part timers provided he/she has more total company seniority. It then says that after a 30 day in 90 day period said employee can bump the least senior full time employee provided he/she has more full time seniority. The JAC made an interpretaion that at the time of layoff the full timer can bump only the least senior part timers. But if you were qualified on a skilled position and worked that position at any time within the last 18 months you have the right to bump back into that position. And as far as your seniority from another center, I know that if you follow work your seniority follows you. We have several drivers who followed work to our hub and they dovetailed their seniority.

Overpaid Union Thug

That is 100% incorrect in many areas, and the only way to be sure what the policy is, is to ask HR and ask a union rep or BA.

Here in N.E. for example there is no such thing as "center seniority".

Layoffs go by friend/T seniority date first for all friend/T employees. If they started the same day, it goes by P/T company seniority date. ALL friend/Ts have seniority over P/T employees.

You are speaking regional language or policies you know of when you talk about center seniority.

For ex: here in N.E., I have bounced around 3 buildings so far friend/T and keep my seniority (both P/T company and friend/T). In other areas I would have lost all seniority and bumped to bottom of list.

You can move from building to building without losing seniority? Man, I wish that applied here. I'd be about 5 spots higher up on the seniority list if that were the case. I transfered to my current center from a hub as a part-timer and there are 5 guys ahead of me that went full-time before me even though I have more company seniority.

You can move from building to building without losing seniority? Man, I wish that applied here. I'd be about 5 spots higher up on the seniority list if that were the case. I transfered to my current center from a hub as a part-timer and there are 5 guys ahead of me that went full-time before me even though I have more company seniority.

Sounds like he was borrowed by the other centers, not that he transferred.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I feel your pain Big Arrow UP. nothing makes sense, be it the union or UPS.

What I dont understand is how a hub can post oodles of 22.3 jobs, and they are not posted in other buildings of THE SAME UNION LOCAL.

Our hub is in a different district, so apparently UPS and union worked out a deal that only hub people can get hub 22.3 jobs.

We have 05' Part timers getting 22.3 jobs after TWO years with the company. On the same hand, you have 10 year part-timers in small centers that arent' seeing the jobs.

Yet in our biannual bid for FT'ers, you can bounce around any building including the hub. SO ohh that all changes now when its bid time!

Nothing makes sense here...

705 Red, you know your *** , please explain that one!

clarnzz

It's amazing how hard it is to get clear answers on all this. I was just laid off in 710 and am really not sure what my rights/options are.

I have 15 years with the company, 3 years full time driver.

- Center manager told me my only option is to bump into twilight/midnight since that is where the least senior person is. I would much rather bump into midnight/preload since I have 3 kids (2 school aged), and a wife that works 1st shift. I would only ever see my family on weekends.

Today is my first day of layoff (was notified yesterday when reporting to work) and I am on vacation next week, then again 4/27-5/1.

My questions would be:

Is it true I can't bump into the preload?
How long of notice does UPS have to give me to return to work?
How much advance notice must I be given of layoff?
If I decide to collect unemployment rather than work twi/mid, how long before my benefits expire?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
It's amazing how hard it is to get clear answers on all this. I was just laid off in 710 and am really not sure what my rights/options are.

- Center manager told me my only option is to bump into twilight/midnight since that is where the least senior person is. I would much rather bump into midnight/preload since I have 3 kids (2 school aged), and a wife that works 1st shift. I would only ever see my family on weekends.

Today is my first day of layoff (was notified yesterday when reporting to work) and I am on vacation next week, then again 4/27-5/1.

My questions would be:

If I decide to collect unemployment rather than work twi/mid, how long before my benefits expire?
Not sure where you are. Chicago? This is how call back works here in Ohio. They notify you and you have to respond within 72 hours.(I personally am going to respond by phone call and a written response just to make sure). At that point you have up to 2 weeks to report to work. You can come back sooner if you choose but they have to give you the 2 weeks. You don't have to be given any time when they tell you you're laid off. They can lay you off at FW on the Friday before. After alot of phone calls and misinformation we finally got an answer about the benefits. They continue until the end of the month following the month you are laid off in.(laid off in March, benefits end last day of April). At that point Cobra takes over if you so choose. We were told that we can't work preload because they are skilled positions and preferred jobs. Not sure what that means because they unload trailers on preload!? Remember that if you take layoff, you still need 1801 hours to get your full year pension credit.

clarnzz

Davenport, IA (only hub/center in the state under 710)

Things had been going well and recently became a mess. We had been going down the seniority list daily with people taking voluntarily layoffs. This just today came to an abrubt end when our steward convinced a high seniority driver to file on "8 hours dispatched over 9.5" to receive pay on a day he took voluntary layoff. Bascially this pissed off our center manager, so he said no more days off for the top and I am laying off from the bottom.

A lot of anymosity in the workforce right now:

- Low seniority drivers who are now out of work (5 of us for the rest of this week)
- Drivers not at risk of layoff who enjoyed getting a day off per week from going down the list.

Personally I am a little pissed because the dispatch over 9.5 was only around 10 hours so even then it could only force them to put in 1 more route, which won't happen anyways since they are just going to make sure to spread out the dispatch a little more to make sure they stay under 8 hours discpatched over 9.5.

All this grievience is going to accomplish is a high seniority driver got a paid day off and now 5 of us are out of work. Well done, eh?

UPSNewbie

My questions would be:

Things had been going well and recently became a mess. We had been going down the seniority list daily with people taking voluntarily layoffs. This just today came to an abrubt end when our steward convinced a high seniority driver to file on "8 hours dispatched over 9.5" to receive pay on a day he took voluntary layoff. Bascially this pissed off our center manager, so he said no more days off for the top and I am laying off from the bottom.

- Low seniority drivers who are now out of work (5 of us for the rest of this week)
- Drivers not at risk of layoff who enjoyed getting a day off per week from going down the list.

Personally I am a little pissed because the dispatch over 9.5 was only around 10 hours so even then it could only force them to put in 1 more route, which won't happen anyways since they are just going to make sure to spread out the dispatch a little more to make sure they stay under 8 hours discpatched over 9.5.

All this grievience is going to accomplish is a high seniority driver got a paid day off and now 5 of us are out of work. Well done, eh?

You should Private Messege 705Red, since you both are on the same 'different' contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

That's how it should be though. We take VLO's here to keep the P/Ters working in the building, and yes I am one of those who take an occasional day when offered, but it really isn't the right way to go about it. Layoffs should go from the bottom up and everyone with rights to the work should be working.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sleeve is talking about full time seniority. If a driver transfers from one building to another as a full time driver he/she maintains their full time seniority date.

I also transferred as a part timer from one building to another to go driving as a full timer. My company date is when i started part time, but my full time date is when i started driving as a full time driver and this date is what is used to determine lay offs.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I feel your pain Big Arrow UP. nothing makes sense, be it the union or UPS.

What I dont understand is how a hub can post oodles of 22.3 jobs, and they are not posted in other buildings of THE SAME UNION LOCAL.

Our hub is in a different district, so apparently UPS and union worked out a deal that only hub people can get hub 22.3 jobs.

We have 05' Part timers getting 22.3 jobs after TWO years with the company. On the same hand, you have 10 year part-timers in small centers that arent' seeing the jobs.

Yet in our biannual bid for FT'ers, you can bounce around any building including the hub. SO ohh that all changes now when its bid time!

Nothing makes sense here...

705 Red, you know your *** , please explain that one!
When we bid a route here that is your route until you rebid a new vacated route, bid another job as in feeder, combo, quit or retire. We do not bid package routes annually or biannually.

If a 22.3 is bid in one building it is up for bid for that building only. We have had 2 bid 22.3's take other jobs here and those bids have been lost to my building because they were moving these bids to another building. The grievance is filed on it, will see what happens.

clarnzz

That's how it should be though. We take VLO's here to keep the P/Ters working in the building, and yes I am one of those who take an occasional day when offered, but it really isn't the right way to go about it. Layoffs should go from the bottom up and everyone with rights to the work should be working.

The VLO's were working fine, we hadn't had one driver laid off a day this year without it being voluntary. The change was caused by a grievance being filed by someone in the top 20 on the seniority list for them dispatching 10 hours over 9.5 on a day when he took voluntary layoff. Our center manager then got pissed and took away the oppurtunity for voluntary layoffs and laid off our bottom 5 drivers. The steward was soliciting pretty hard for someone to file on that, and finally someone did.

The sad thing is we have now done nothing but lost because:

-center manager will even out dispatches so we are not 8 over 9.5 without adding a route.

-No more voluntary days off for higher seniority people

-5 people lost their jobs

Can you see why I'm not so happy? I will take one for the team when there is something to gain, but we gained nothing except for 1 driver being paid for 10 hours.

wrecker

It's strange how we do things differently around the country. We have a biennial bid here. I can bid Worcester East, Worc West, Ashland, or Leominster centers. Also the FT hub, and Feeders. 22.3 jobs at all those bldgs too. Every full timer is on the same list. If I'm qualified for the job, and I have the senority, It's mine. Same for bumps. If I get bumped off my job, I can bump a junior man in any of those buildings.

JonFrum

Both 705 and 710 have their own contract that isn't part of the NMA, correct? Or did I read wrong?
The National Master Agreement covers most of the USA. Each region has its own Supplement to the NMA. There's over thirty Supplements.

However, Locals 705 and 710 are not part of the NMA. Each has its own Contract with UPS covering just its own Local. The Local 705 Contract and the Local 710 Contract are seperate from each other. There are thus three bargaining units in the USA: the Master, Local 705, and Local 710.