FT Sup hours

aintbleedinbrown

Everyone knows the current operations don't make sense. Having a guy load 1700-2000 pieces in 8 hours... I'm sorry 7.5 give or take after breaks etc is absolutely insane.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Do you think their current operation makes sense?

Honestly, Dave, I know nothing about their operation. Could be a small center with extra-rural, high mileage low SPC routes. Could be crappy-assed management trying to make do with less. Could be anything, and I really won't assume anything about the operation.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Honestly, Dave, I know nothing about their operation. Could be a small center with extra-rural, high mileage low SPC routes. Could be crappy-assed management trying to make do with less. Could be anything, and I really won't assume anything about the operation.

He did say they run a box-line. I have no experience with box-lines at all. They could easily be a slower system than a belt-line.

j13501

Did I mention were a FT preload as well with a bunch of geriatrics. We run 79-82pph on a plan of 84 and average 100 misleads a day.
This is a full time preload in a boxline building. 99% of the boxline buildings at UPS are in buildings with a hub operation. That's why boxlines are so effective- they hold a large number of packages during the hub sort, so the don't have to be re-handled. That fairly typical. What's not typical is that this is a full time preload. If it was part time, you would just add loaders, and shorten the sort span. With a full time preload, you need to have enough load work for the preloaders to work 8 hours. That's why 6-8 cars per loader is the right number. I was a preload manager, many years ago in a full time preload and had one load position that loaded 9 cars. It's just math- how many packages divided by how many hours worked.

j13501

Everyone knows the current operations don't make sense. Having a guy load 1700-2000 pieces in 8 hours... I'm sorry 7.5 give or take after breaks etc is absolutely insane.
Hopefully, your operation has an operation report that let's you know daily the PPH for each loader. A full time operation is tough, because of the long hours, but because the packages are in the boxline for your loaders, it allows you to OJS to improve production.

You know the daily dispatch by preloader, you know the amount of volume per cage. You know how many revolutions the boxline makes in 7.5 hours. Do the math, it tells you the number of packages each preloader needs to pull from each cage each revolution. I know it's easy for me to say this, harder you to accomplish with your people, but that's what will make you successful. I would build the plan, succeed in making your PPH plan and then move on to an on car sup job. It's still a lot of hours, but it's days.

RolloTony Brown Town

I work preload, we work 60-65 hours a week. What do you guys typically work and does anyone consider this normal.

Most inside ops positions (ft hub sups, preload sups) average between 50-65 hours per week depending on how well you run your area. Generally ft sups have to come in early and plan out their day and pitch said plan to manager, review previous days results. If they did well then once all of your employees are punched, time cards validated, and your manager years how you did you're all set to leave. If you do poorly, there's a post sort meeting or conference call where you're told how much you're awful at your job and better fix it.

bagpipes

Like previously said, review your Preload DOP and engage IE if necessary so the tool works for you. Then it's a matter of just doing the math, and putting the right people in the right place. If volume availability is a concern, stagger starts or use preloaders to help charge up the front end at the start and vice versa at the end.