FT Transfer- Sorry, I know this has been asked a million times.

I'm sorry, I know this has been asked a million times, but all I can seem to find is info on Western Conference Transfers for drivers and that is not me. Maybe you can help:

I'm a 22.3 Carwash/Air and my mother has lupus and my father within the last year got diagnosed with lung cancer. Now its in his brain. I'm in Northern NJ and they are in Florida. Is there any way to transfer there? Do the Teamsters offer hardship transfers? I don't really care about losing my seniority, but I don't want to lose my job, I have a daughter.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. And again, sorry, I know this has been asked, but my eyes are starting to water from screening previous threads. :)

brown_trousers

I'm sorry, I know this has been asked a million times, but all I can seem to find is info on Western Conference Transfers for drivers and that is not me. Maybe you can help:

I'm a 22.3 Carwash/Air and my mother has lupus and my father within the last year got diagnosed with lung cancer. Now its in his brain. I'm in Northern NJ and they are in Florida. Is there any way to transfer there? Do the Teamsters offer hardship transfers? I don't really care about losing my seniority, but I don't want to lose my job, I have a daughter.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. And again, sorry, I know this has been asked, but my eyes are starting to water from screening previous threads. :)

Even in the best case scenario, that your region allows for transfers, it takes a long time to bid a transfer. I'm talking a few years, up to a few decades. Its not like the part-time transfer language (thats easy to get a transfer), as a FTer you have to wait for a FT position to become available, and then hope that it is the 1 in 6 outside hire they are allowed. And then also hope that no one else with higher seniority is bidding for a transfer to that location.

It doesn't sound like you have that kind of time! Have you ever thought about taking intermittent FMLA? I'm thinking that may be your only viable option.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
FMLA (hopefully you can find someone knowledgeable to explain the intricacies of it) & perhaps an unpaid leave of absence.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Excuse me for butting in...
when will this band of brothers demand the ability to share vacation / floaters or donate time to those in need?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Look in to FMLA and use it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While both the FMLA and LOA are good ideas it doesn't sound as though the OP can endure an extended period of unpaid leave. He may have to make the tough decision of whether taking care of his parents is more important than keeping his job or whether he needs to quit and find a new job in Florida.