Full time hub employee considering going driving

8000Shelf

Yo Juan,
Why get married? You are getting the milk for free. You don't need a cow.
If he's been living with her more than a year he's already married in the eyes of the law. It's called a "de facto marriage" or common law depending on your state.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Not sure how many FT drivers can afford a 500k house unless their wife has a really high paying job. Everything else you say is true and the main reason I have stayed PT all these years.
Of course they can't afford it. But they make enough to believe that they can afford it, and if they save enough for a dp....it happens man. Where I live 500k is just your average 1800 square foot box within touching distance of your neighbor in a 200 home development. Lot's of our drivers have homes in that ballpark.

I was just having this discussion; I went driver after only 6 months of preload because I was 28 and anxious to start a career and a pension, and the starting pay for driving is on par with any job out there that doesn't require a college education.
I didn't love the preload, especially since I had to work a 2nd job, but I've done a ton of really hard, crappy jobs. Inside jobs may suck for the hours and labor, but compared to roofing, carpentry, granite countertops, cruise ship tours, shuffling some boxes around is pretty darn gravy.
If I had the opportunity to go full time inside, I'd be all over it. Safer, easier work for what, 6 bucks less an hour at top rate?
If you're cool with living reasonably, making 45-55k a year then stay inside. Safer, less stressful, regular schedule so you can actually have a life Mon-Fri, easy work.
If you want all the finer things in life, like you REALLY wanna become a debt slave and want that 500k house with a brand new pickup 4 dogs and 3 quads, driving is for you.
I hear ya, I get the impression that most people here are telling me to stay (or go feeder instead) but I signed up and am going to give it a shot because if I don’t try it I’ll never really know if maybe I’ll be one of the few people who enjoys it. Also, if I go and find out it’s not for me I can always disqualify myself during my 30 days and come back to my ft hub job. I just just wanna try and get away from working a 5pm-4am shift after doing it for all these years and I think because I’m at a halfway point at UPS this may be a good change of scenery for me. Plus, From talking to a lot of the drivers in my hub they suspect the 22.4 jobs will eliminate much of the ot hours in the future and potentially make the work hours manageable. But like another member here told me, it could all just be a pipe dream