Not open for further replies.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
40464190_2223943181176794_7338377277949870080_n.jpg
How many dead ones?

rod

Retired 22 years
He was not worthy to attend.
So he spent the day golfing and rage tweeting while the adults took care of the business of paying respect to a hero.

He may have been an ok guy but giving him hero status might be stretching it a tad.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
He may have been an ok guy but giving him hero status might be stretching it a tad.
Not a hero but definitely a battler in the Hanoi Hilton as well as the halls of Congress.
He definitely cared about his country and fought for what he thought was right.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As does Snopes:

The allegation that he was a “songbird” during his captivity originated with the group Vietnam Veterans Against McCain, which distributed a flyer to media outlets in South Carolina during his 2008 campaign for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination.

The claim was roundly debunked at the time by Politifact, which cited both fellow prisoners of war and author Robert Timberg, who interviewed several POWs while writing John McCain: An American Odyssey, a biography of the senator. “I’ve never known of any occasion in which Sen. McCain provided the North Vietnamese with anything of value,” said Timberg, who died in 2016.
McCains arms were broken when he ejected from his A-4 Skyhawk, and were reset improperly in a Vietnamese hospital without any anesthesia.
He was subsequently tortured by being hung from his arms while they were tied behind his back. And while he was hanging, they would beat him.
This went on for 5 years.
So I don’t really care if he told them anything or not. Every human being has a breaking point. There is nothing shameful or disloyal about confessing under torture.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
McCains arms were broken when he ejected from his A-4 Skyhawk, and were reset improperly in a Vietnamese hospital without any anesthesia.
He was subsequently tortured by being hung from his arms while they were tied behind his back. And while he was hanging, they would beat him.
This went on for 5 years.

So I don’t really care if he told them anything or not. Every human being has a breaking point. There is nothing shameful or disloyal about confessing under torture.
No kidding ... mine would be quite low I imagine.
I was not soldier material in many ways.
I respect people who serve and have several friends who were pilots in friend-15's. I have a mountain vacation home in a fly-in community where they live.

newfie

Not a hero but definitely a battler in the Hanoi Hilton as well as the halls of Congress.
He definitely cared about his country and fought for what he thought was right.

I think his funeral was gaudy in excessiveness
what happens when Bob Dole passes. he has the permanent war wounds, the run for the presidency and many years of public service.

prior to McCain 31 people have been laid out in the Rotunda some significant figures such as Rosa Parks and Billy Graham. that means there are many presidents and other significant historical figures that did not receive this honor. Does John McCain really earn that honor even with his brutal 5 years in the Hanoi Hilton or is the fact that he was a sitting member of congress have more to do with it.

To deny that his battle with Trump did not motivate members of congress on the democratic side to vote for the honor is to put the blinders on.

this was a friend/U by the Washington elites the swamp at trump. The media is also part of the swamp and promotes the agenda of the swamp was also in on this week long trump bash and "oh by the way there's a funeral here too."

They lowered the bar for this honor for McCain and thus being laid out in the Rotunda will become much more common in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.