Fun with Math

So UPS made $4,652,000,000 in profit last year and paid out $2,771,000,000 in dividends to share holders. Dividends are paid out to shareholders in companies with lots of extra cash. Total of both is $7,423,000,000. There are 260,000 UPS teamsters. That would equal $28,550 per member per year and UPS would still break even. My raise, according to the tentative contract agreement, would be $830 (.83 cents x the roughly 1,000 hours I work part time per year). That's about $10 a week after taxes... OH BOY - a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas!! Seems like they ought to be able to throw a few more crumbs to the people doing all the work.

Indecisi0n

source.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So UPS made $4,652,000,000 in profit last year and paid out $2,771,000,000 in dividends to share holders. Dividends are paid out to shareholders in companies with lots of extra cash. Total of both is $7,423,000,000. There are 260,000 UPS teamsters. That would equal $28,550 per member per year and UPS would still break even. My raise, according to the tentative contract agreement, would be $830 (.83 cents x the roughly 1,000 hours I work part time per year). That's about $10 a week after taxes... OH BOY - a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas!! Seems like they ought to be able to throw a few more crumbs to the people doing all the work.
So, one yes vote?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

A) We used our bargaining power to raise new hire's starting rate

B) State laws would require UPS to do it anyways, we could have used our power in other areas

C) UPS has still been paying attendance bonuses to new hires in many hard-to-employ areas so we just made them give it to them in salary. (building in my area gives $100/week bonus for showing up all 5 days)

D) You get the crumbs !!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
keep working slave.

I LOVE those dividend checks. actually I reinvest them. As soon as they allowed us to buy stock I was in. we bought and bought . then had payroll deduction to buy more. $50 a week for years.

raking in huge dividends.

actually UPS is usually not a great stock but we were getting it at a discount. I bought a lot of blue chips like AT&T , and other high dividend paying blue chips.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
actually UPS is usually not a great stock but we were getting it at a discount.

Lets see,you get a 5% discount on the price at end of quarter. That is after the company pays the dividend...which automatically lowers the stock price 3.28%. Nice discount ya get there hun!