Funeral Documentation

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yes if they ask you must show proof. What is the problem with that? The only reason it would be a problem is if your not being truthful.

Not saying you are making a false claim here but just want people to be aware, the funeral benefit is a very sacred benefit to the Teamsters Union. Anyone caught abusing that benefit will be terminated and will not be returning to work. Do not ever use a fake death as a means for paid time off, unless you use those days for a job hunt!!

jaker

trolling
I have been to many funerals and there was no proof to be had unless I took a picture , now with that said most of those has been on my wife side

When my mom past there was no proof either unless they wanted to see the ashes , I didn't do a funeral or a wake but they have never ask for proof

Them asking for proof means they don't believe you so take a selfie with the deceased and show it to them and come back here and tell us what their faces was like

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you are asking for paid funeral time off for a close relative, documentation should be required. They actually have to enter the information on a computer file. I had to hand an OMS proof of my grandmother's death (via obituary) and watched her enter it. It had the dates of my 2 grandfather's deaths prior that I had to take time off for, with entry spaces for father, mother, wife/husband, and children. I can't remember if mother/father-in-law were there.

If time is requested for a funeral for another family member or friend, I'm sure every center has a different policy.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
If you are asking for paid funeral time off for a close relative, documentation should be required. They actually have to enter the information on a computer file. I had to hand an OMS proof of my grandmother's death (via obituary) and watched her enter it. It had the dates of my 2 grandfather's deaths prior that I had to take time off for, with entry spaces for father, mother, wife/husband, and children. I can't remember if mother/father-in-law were there.

If time is requested for a funeral for another family member or friend, I'm sure every center has a different policy.

Sometimes UPS will just look for the obit in local paper so you don't need to turn one in but not always so you should still have one just in case.

Nimnim

The Nim
While I've been working at UPS I've only had a grandmother die. I let my sort manager know and after a short conversation he told me to let my FT sup know of any days I'd be taking off. I don't have any attendance issues or serious problems on my record so they probably would have taken my word completely, but I didn't take any time off as there was no service and it happened right before a holiday weekend so I had time away from work to collect my thoughts.

I do know of a couple people though that did attempt to claim bereavement and they did have issues that kept management looking at them and when asked for proof they couldn't produce any and were let go. The union couldn't do much for them either because mysteriously all paperwork and travel receipts were thrown away so they had no proof they traveled or attended anything.

If you're looking for paid time off for it, expect to provide some evidence. Might not have to, but if you are telling the truth then it wouldn't be hard to get something. Unpaid time off for a death not covered for bereavement pay should be fine, but you might have to produce something though worst case it'd be an attendance infraction there.

turdbrown

i was paid 3 different times. no problem. got 3 days pay because I had to travel to LA. get extra day for travel. never asked for proof. gave one day notice to go to Texas because my son in law was shot. was gone a week with no pay. never asked for proof

DooDooBrn

Yes if they ask you must show proof. What is the problem with that? The only reason it would be a problem is if your not being truthful.

Not saying you are making a false claim here but just want people to be aware, the funeral benefit is a very sacred benefit to the Teamsters Union. Anyone caught abusing that benefit will be terminated and will not be returning to work. Do not ever use a fake death as a means for paid time off, unless you use those days for a job hunt!!

I don't have a problem showing the proof if it is REQUIRED( that was my question in the 1st place..in other words, where is it written that we must show proof). I just have a problem with an OCS squeezing my balls because I won't let him run over me.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't have a problem showing the proof if it is REQUIRED( that was my question in the 1st place..in other words, where is it written that we must show proof). I just have a problem with an OCS squeezing my balls because I won't let him run over me.
Article 29 Section 2 of the NMUPSA.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off
to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or
other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.

Some managers may take your word for it that you attended the funeral, but this section gives them the right to make you prove it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

tourists24

With the Internet, it would be very easy to show "proof ", if needed.

Resident know-it-all.
that's what happened when my daughter passed away... mgt treated me very well and all I told them is to look up the obituary if they cared to.... never heard another word and got my funeral leave as well as a couple of extra days

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
Only once have I asked for proof, it seems like a Sh--ty thing to do. But when your Grandmother dies for the 3rd time, I did have a few questions. That being said, you should know your people, and be able to tell when things are hard. Do whatever you can to help them get through this time, and you will probably have a much more loyal employee later.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Been to many funerals while employed here, never been asked for proof but I've always had it. That being said, it's getting common to leave time and date info out of obits due to opportunistic thieves who visit the family home while everyone's at the cemetery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I took some funeral leave earlier this year. I had the obituary printed out but they never asked for it.

Sorry for your loss.

As was mentioned above, a lot may depend upon what type of employee you are. If you are a "problem child" you may be asked to submit proof before the leave is approved.

Several years ago my father (not my Dad) passed away shortly before Peak. Since he was being cremated and there were no services being held right away there was no need for me to go home right away. My brother and I decided to hold off on any services until the week after Christmas, which my center manager gave me off with pay.

I lost my niece last week...it's been so hard for me cuz of her young age. My ft sup knew she was failing fast. I called my ft sup the day she passed and he understood me not coming in. I went to work the next day but was told by him to go home because I was crying uncontrollably. I had to proof read and approve the funeral cards so he saw them. I also showed him pictures that I have with her and I together. I was not paid for the day she passed and I'm not expecting the 2 days I took for after her service. It just irks me a little. I'm a single mom of 4 and this is my only job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry for your loss. Did you know that you can use personal time to cover these days off?

Bereavement leave is a benefit that companies are not required to offer and one that we should all be thankful for. It is hard to draw the line as to which relatives qualify and which do not. Nieces and nephews may be close to you but clearly should not be covered. You can always use personal time.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I lost my niece last week...it's been so hard for me cuz of her young age. My ft sup knew she was failing fast. I called my ft sup the day she passed and he understood me not coming in. I went to work the next day but was told by him to go home because I was crying uncontrollably. I had to proof read and approve the funeral cards so he saw them. I also showed him pictures that I have with her and I together. I was not paid for the day she passed and I'm not expecting the 2 days I took for after her service. It just irks me a little. I'm a single mom of 4 and this is my only job.

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately.... a niece is not covered for the purposes of pay.

"Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step-child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

Also, a lot of people don't understand the part about 2 days after.

"Most" managers, will try and work with the employee for additional time off.

But being financially compensated, is limited by the contract.

-Bug-