FXG Star V Motorola TC77 zebra scanner

Star B

White Lightening
If I number them by stop order, it'll take longer on the preload, but fly them off my truck when on route. The only deterrent to doing it that way, u have to wait for the sort to finish.

Waze is just a Google Map lookalike. Google bought them out two years ago? I think....

And, don't you have to wait for the sort to finish anyway? Just find out how many stops you have for the day, slice the number in 4ths, and then start putting them on each shelf. You know your area so you'll know which one will be a bulker. It will get faster the more you do it.

Erp, just realized your vision label may not have the stop# printed on it, like our roads labels do.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yup, u got that correct... with my box truck, I need to group those clusters together, putting the highest ones outta the way, on the walls of the truck, while fine sorting my earlier clusters on the floor... so I won't "fight the load" on route.

Aka climbing over boxes to find the first couple of stops would suck donkey ballz. That's why a step van with shelving on both sides are preferred for this crappy "single system"

And if the BC add/ cuts a certain SiD section to use as a training course, you'll notice while you're loading up... for example, my 4000s was missing today & I was guessing he took that section as he was loading up in a Ford transit with a new driver.

OrioN

I just discovered something during a resis pickup... I get to the address, and noticed no box on the front porch.

sketch-1569367692277.png

I was going to send a text to CpC, butt that phone icon next to the customer's name was begging to be selected...

sketch-1569367471026.png

It's a friggin' phone!!!

tenor.gif

Soo I called the customer and he was at the golf course...He forgot to leave it outside. I told him to leave the box on his porch for another attempt tomorrow and hung up...

Too bad it's only for pickups; they should've included the stops that needs a signature as well. Butt I'll check on that later.

Whither

Scofflaw
View attachment 263636 Finally, I oriented the cradle to landscape mode, just so I can see out the windshield better... and to slide it out quickly.

is there a setting that I didn't discover yet to view the manifest in landscape mode???

Very beefy unit, seems to be similar to Amazonian rabbit scanners... I will miss the physical keyboard buttons...

@Whither @amazondriverdude , right? Just different software...

s3en3tdeluoz.jpg

Geezus, that's daunting since now they're lugging more boxes than smaller envelopes and bags

The Amazon program had the exact same 'Summary' screen, excepting pickups. Was a handy tool. Running in the blind at UPS I miss that 2D map of plotted (and numbered per dispatch order) stops. In my loaner center the printers are busted, haha ... so I have do depend on mapnav. It lets you access a 2D map but it's slow, far from user-friendly, and you can't trust it to show every stop. Couple days ago I nearly missed an air pickup as a result. Wasn't in my EDD (primary manifest) screen, didn't show up on mapnav when I checked to ensure I'd cleared the area. Later I found it under my 'Scheduled (pickups)' screen.

OrioN

Thanks for chiming in from your hectic work week...

Yeah, before Motorola, we used to have the Honeywell dolphin 9500 scanners (star 3?)

s-l400.jpg

They tried map nav on it but the processor was a slug when switching from that to the P & D manifest, compared to our newest version.

LoL, so I had a signature stop. Recipient's last name was "Cox"

I made him speak to the scanner/ phone and guess what Google voice to text app spelled out??? (Rhymes with @'rocks')

tenor.gif

I just hit "accept" and moved on, LoL!

Whither

Scofflaw
Yeah, mapnav is too much for DIAD5 too. But overall the 5 is a solid handheld. I think it's a little smaller than your old Dolphin 9500s. Won't be surprised if UPS rolls out the 6 during peak haha. Gone will be the days of "use DIAD to strike aggressive dog."

OrioN

Yeah, your next-generation diad should have a faster processor, like our current ones.

Flipping between the manifest & map nav is instant!

OrioN

sketch-1569772219677.png

So after u highlight a stop, I can enter comments via the menu icon on the top right...

sketch-1569772500109.png

sketch-1569772696965.png

Makes sense for package selection & for customer follow up s if it's not a standard cardboard box.

sketch-1569772621606.png

Customer request and maybe shippers request will also be there, so it was better than the pop up after scanning in the older power pads

@Star B , yeah I toggled between the 3 map nav options & they're all the same. Dunno y FXG wanted all of those choices, maybe to appease the next-generation pussillanimous drivers <shrugs>

Last edited:

OrioN

Nah, I think map nav is here for cover/ swing drivers to be at least 70% productive from a bid driver.

I said on another thread, with area knowledge, I'm being done ~ 2 hours quicker than what the sequence programming/ manifest suggests

Whither

Scofflaw
Nah, I think map nav is here for cover/ swing drivers to be at least 70% productive from a bid driver.

I said on another thread, with area knowledge, I'm being done ~ 2 hours quicker than what the sequence programming/ manifest suggests

Finally met another low seniority bid driver whose route I covered for 2 weeks and we both were laughing at his "8 hour dispatch". On the 2 days I had egress I might've come within half an hour of his usual punch outs. The rest were a cluster****. I'm kinda hoping I get to keep running this route I've been on the last couple days ... not because it's easy, but better the devil you know, haha.

OrioN

Once peak season arrives, hopefully u will be "locked in" to the same area since driving blind in the dark sux.

Happy you made it, butt I don't want to be driving a brown bus, LoL

OrioN

Bump... I just found out that I can scan FXE barcodes with this scanner!!!

Ok, so today, I delivered a FXG box to a customer at 373 Smith Road...

I MC it & closed the stop & he gave me a mis delivered FXE box dated Tuesday. Shipping label has 343 Smith Road!

He told me that he called the 800# on Wednesday and notified them off a mis delivery, but no one came to retrieve it.

I was like eh, lemme try to scan the barcode...

sketch-1572737739785.png

I usually aim for the top barcode, so it can auto input the address in my scanner, but had to go with the bottom one.

giphy.gif

So I backed out of the screen & actually drove 1/2 mile down to get the correct GPS plot and MC the customer to let him know it was sitting at the neighbor's porch since Tuesday.

Sure, I had to enter the full address since that barcode didn't have it but at least it was finally at the correct location.

Side note, I can't get the screen to landscape mode anymore, ugh. Maybe on the next software update...

Star B

White Lightening
there's a reason for it. the bottom barcode is a 1d barcode, it's just numbers and the scanner is programmed to just read the numbers as it because there is no error checking that can really be done on the 1d side as long as it's pure #s... the 2d barcode is read as a certain format and because fxg 2d barcodes aren't the same as fxe 2d barcodes, it ignores it.

OrioN

On the older star IV Motorola scanners, it won't allow you to scan both 2d and 1d barcodes...

I'm just glad I can pick up FXE slack to deliver it to the correct customer

MAKAVELI

On the older star IV Motorola scanners, it won't allow you to scan both 2d and 1d barcodes...

I'm just glad I can pick up FXE slack to deliver it to the correct customer
Unfortunately you and your contractor won't be paid for that stop. Lol

BoxDriver

there's a reason for it. the bottom barcode is a 1d barcode, it's just numbers and the scanner is programmed to just read the numbers as it because there is no error checking that can really be done on the 1d side as long as it's pure #s... the 2d barcode is read as a certain format and because fxg 2d barcodes aren't the same as fxe 2d barcodes, it ignores it.
We are using the Panasonic version of the new scanners here. I’m pretty sure when we first got them scanning either barcode on Express packages came up as an invalid barcode. After one of the recent updates it started recognizing the 1D barcode. It will also automatically switch you from pickup mode to delivery mode if you scan an Express while in the middle of scanning pickups.

OrioN

I
Unfortunately you and your contractor won't be paid for that stop. Lol
didn't gaf if I got paid for that... I was going to the same direction anyways.... like I said, these customers know me for a few years already.

Back to the FXG zebra scanner...

So @BoxDriver, I checked the pickups today and they still have the phone enabled to call a customer directly from the scanner.

sketch-1572903182011.png

No more phone icon, but the contact# is underlined...

I tapped on it & the phone app opened instantly with the programmed# all set to go.
sketch-1572903400860.png

If that Panasonic scanner isn't running the same software, then I have no idea what is going on.

@It will be fine didn't reply to the other thread?

I switched to the waze navigation since it has users inputting a construction delay and speed traps that was pretty accurate when going to my first stop

Attachments

• sketch-1572903182011.png
    sketch-1572903182011.png
    824.2 KB · Views: 201

It will be fine

I

didn't gaf if I got paid for that... I was going to the same direction anyways.... like I said, these customers know me for a few years already.

Back to the FXG zebra scanner...

So @BoxDriver, I checked the pickups today and they still have the phone enabled to call a customer directly from the scanner.

View attachment 270750

No more phone icon, but the contact# is underlined...

I tapped on it & the phone app opened instantly with the programmed# all set to go.View attachment 270751

If that Panasonic scanner isn't running the same software, then I have no idea what is going on.

@It will be fine didn't reply to the other thread?

I switched to the waze navigation since it has users inputting a construction delay and speed traps that was pretty accurate when going to my first stop
I only used a Panasonic for one day and it was a Saturday so only throw and go, no pickups. I have zebras now. One of my guys got a phone call from some scammer. I don’t know how it works, my plan with Verizon is only for data so I’m not sure why the phone feature works at all.

OrioN

For some reason it's only for pickups. Since it's more important to get those pickups, I'm guessing that FXG will allow it

If it's for a delivery, I send a text to CpC after highlighting the stop or texting with the tracking number.

sketch-1572912145399.png

The first will automatically have the tracking number in the subject line

or, I had to find out WtF is up wit a certain customer after 2 attempts...
sketch-1572912396922.png