Gee, I could have sworn there was a road here...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No snow it's a go. I'm sure Sober has been down this driveway many times and he wen't down it right after he took this picture. EC because of leaves on a driveway? Not.

I have been delivering to that address for 16 years.

Every autumn when the leaves fall the driveway gets covered. Its actually quite pretty, and the stop itself is no big deal. Once you get up to the house there is a huge paved area to turn around in.

As fall becomes winter, the leaves rot away and the gravel driveway becomes visible again.

There is a similar stop on my route where the driveway is paved. When the wet leaves are piled up on the pavement, I cannot get up there. Its like driving on ice, my wheels spin and cant get any traction. That stop gets bagged up and left at the gate at the bottom of their hill.

I guess what I was getting at was that if drivers were able to just skip stops like this they could have probably cut out two full routes at my old center. The name of the game where I live is if you build your dream house on a lake out in the sticks for some reason it is almost the norm to build the narrowest, longest and twistyest driveway possible. I actually carried a small limb saw with me and used it many times wack a few branches off to get in a driveway. Back then it was called "Service". I do realize that "service" is for the most part is gone now.
I guess what I failed to mention is if you know your customers in this situation I would walk it up this particular driveway about 50ft or so bag it and leave a note on the side of the mailbox. Also if I can see the driveway I would drive it to the house. I don't care what anyone says about service there NO chance I'm walking a 60 pound box 3/4 of a mile up a drive because I can't see it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm down to 257 lbs, I weighed 300 on March 30th. 43 lbs lost.

The other day I picked up a 40 lb box and it dawned on me that, prior to losing the weight, I was lugging that 40 lbs around 24/7. 40 pounds is a lot of weight when you pick it up and hold it in your hands.

This belongs in sexual innuendo thread.

AKCoverMan

Emergency condition the package and tell your management via text message. When you get in have the center call the customer and make arrangements for them to pick it up.

We have rural routes in the MatSu Valley where if I applied this I would be ECDing 20+ stops and the center for willcall would be 40-50 miles away.

That "driveway" is 3/4 of a mile long and unpaved. If I tried "walking it off" and dragging a 60 lb box up there on a handtruck I would die from a heart attack and the coyotes would eat me before the center even knew I was missing.

Coming tomorrow: the ten keys to avoid being eaten by coyotes.

bigbrownhen

Pretty pic...but those leaves can get rather slick when wet. Area knowledge is key in this situation.

My route is mostly in town, but occasionally I get a split of rural stops. Standard rule... if I can't see the house from the road, it doesn't get walked off. Common sense rules here. Most folks with drives like this are understanding about packages being left at a tree when conditions require it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is the bad thing about this time of the year. I have a lot of long driveways too and they are hard to see when they are covered by leaves and pine straw. My delivery route has a lot of lakes on it with steep driveways too, they get dangerous because of the loss of traction.

rod

Retired 22 years
This is the bad thing about this time of the year. I have a lot of long driveways too and they are hard to see when they are covered by leaves and pine straw. My delivery route has a lot of lakes on it with steep driveways too, they get dangerous because of the loss of traction.

Is pine straw the same as pine needles? I've never heard it called that.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Is pine straw the same as pine needles? I've never heard it called that.

They are one and the same, thats we call it in these parts. Most of the pine trees around here have the long needles, although there are some of the short needle types. Driving on wet leaves and pine straw is like driving on ice to me, I stay out of the steep driveways.

rod

Retired 22 years
They are one and the same, thats we call it in these parts. Most of the pine trees around here have the long needles, although there are some of the short needle types. Driving on wet leaves and pine straw is like driving on ice to me, I stay out of the steep driveways.

Where's your sense of adventure? Spinning donuts in a UPS truck is something everyone should experience. There was a time in my life that I could "drift" a UPS truck with the best of em.:happy2:

Where's your sense of adventure? Spinning donuts in a UPS truck is something everyone should experience. There was a time in my life that I could "drift" a UPS truck with the best of em.:happy2:
Those days are over now they want to take you to the panel and cut your heart out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Those days are over now they want to take you to the panel and cut your heart out.
+1
I used to take chances in the snow and ice trying to get everything delivered, but not anymore. If I don't feel I can safely dr it near the end of the driveway, back to the center it goes.

over9five

Staff member
+1
I used to take chances in the snow and ice trying to get everything delivered, but not anymore. If I don't feel I can safely dr it near the end of the driveway, back to the center it goes.

And this is the "new" right thing to do.