Georgia's Beloved Congressman John Lewis Diagnosed With Pancreatic Cancer

floridays

Don't play dumb and act like the Democratic Party of today is the same as it was then.

How the ‘Party of Lincoln’ Won Over the Once Democratic South

"Up until the post-World War II period, the party’s hold on the region was so entrenched that Southern politicians usually couldn’t get elected unless they were Democrats. But when President Harry S. Truman, a Democratic Southerner, introduced a pro-civil rights platform at the party’s 1948 convention, a faction walked out.

These defectors, known as the “Dixiecrats,” held a separate convention in Birmingham, Alabama. There, they nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, a staunch opposer of civil rights, to run for president on their “States’ Rights” ticket. Although Thurmond lost the election to Truman, he still won over a million popular votes.

It “was the first time since before the Civil War that the South was not solidly Democratic,” Goldfield says. “And that began the erosion of the southern influence in the Democratic party.”

After that, the majority of the South still continued to vote Democratic because it thought of the Republican party as the party of Abraham Lincoln and Reconstruction. The big break didn’t come until President Johnson, another Southern Democrat, signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964 and the Voting Rights Act in 1965.

Though some Democrats had switched to the Republican party prior to this, “the defections became a flood” after Johnson signed these acts, Goldfield says. “And so the political parties began to reconstitute themselves.”

The change wasn’t total or immediate. During the late 1960s and early ‘70s, white Southerners were still transitioning away from the Democratic party (newly enfranchised black Southerners voted and continue to vote Democratic). And even as Republican Richard Nixon employed a “Southern strategy” that appealed to the racism of Southern white voters, former Alabama Governor George Wallace (who’d wanted “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever”) ran as a Democrat in the 1972 presidential primaries.

By the time Ronald Reagan became president in 1980, the Republican party’s hold on white Southerners was firm. Today, the Republican party remains the party of the South. It’s an ironic outcome considering that a century ago, white Southerners would’ve never considered voting for the party of Lincoln."
Nice that the Succession of the South from the Union got us talking again, I always liked talking to you. :thumbup1:
I've said my job was setting traps, you were the only vocal catch. Everyone else just laughed.
But here we are, friends again.:thumbup1:

floridays

Caught yur tail end didn't it.
Answer the question now that we're talking.

School choice, vouchers, where does your party stand on the opportunity for little black kids to get a good education. Even if they choose not to learn it's seven hours out of a crime infested school.

Where's the sympathy for the darker than you, Mr. democrat?

Box Ox

Caught yur tail end didn't it.
Answer the question now that we're talking.

School choice, vouchers, where does your party stand on the opportunity for little black kids to get a good education. Even if they choose not to learn it's seven hours out of a crime infested school.

WUTTABOUT SCHOOL VOUCHERS?!

LOL

floridays

WUTTABOUT SCHOOL VOUCHERS?!

LOL
Crickets, no answer, you generally have something of value to add.

Yea vouchers
I actually have respected your openness when ideas are presented.

An offering

Box Ox

Crickets, no answer, you generally have something of value to add.

Yea vouchers
I actually have respected your openness when ideas are presented.

An offering

Glad school vouchers are the great equalizer that proves the modern-day Republican party is the party of Lincoln and not the party of the Confederate flag fanatic. LOL

newfie

Don't play dumb and act like the Democratic Party of today is the same as it was then.

How the ‘Party of Lincoln’ Won Over the Once Democratic South

"Up until the post-World War II period, the party’s hold on the region was so entrenched that Southern politicians usually couldn’t get elected unless they were Democrats. But when President Harry S. Truman, a Democratic Southerner, introduced a pro-civil rights platform at the party’s 1948 convention, a faction walked out.

These defectors, known as the “Dixiecrats,” held a separate convention in Birmingham, Alabama. There, they nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, a staunch opposer of civil rights, to run for president on their “States’ Rights” ticket. Although Thurmond lost the election to Truman, he still won over a million popular votes.

It “was the first time since before the Civil War that the South was not solidly Democratic,” Goldfield says. “And that began the erosion of the southern influence in the Democratic party.”

After that, the majority of the South still continued to vote Democratic because it thought of the Republican party as the party of Abraham Lincoln and Reconstruction. The big break didn’t come until President Johnson, another Southern Democrat, signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964 and the Voting Rights Act in 1965.

Though some Democrats had switched to the Republican party prior to this, “the defections became a flood” after Johnson signed these acts, Goldfield says. “And so the political parties began to reconstitute themselves.”

The change wasn’t total or immediate. During the late 1960s and early ‘70s, white Southerners were still transitioning away from the Democratic party (newly enfranchised black Southerners voted and continue to vote Democratic). And even as Republican Richard Nixon employed a “Southern strategy” that appealed to the racism of Southern white voters, former Alabama Governor George Wallace (who’d wanted “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever”) ran as a Democrat in the 1972 presidential primaries.

By the time Ronald Reagan became president in 1980, the Republican party’s hold on white Southerners was firm. Today, the Republican party remains the party of the South. It’s an ironic outcome considering that a century ago, white Southerners would’ve never considered voting for the party of Lincoln."

I didnt see the part of this narrative where LBJ says he will have those N's voting democrat for the next 200 years. Your narrative should certainly show how politicians realigned as a result of civil rights activities and legislation in that time period but is incomplete if it does not show the complete narrative that occured during that time which includes the formation of the white liberal mentality that blacks should be beholden to the DNC plantation. You have shown yourself to be a more rational dem here in the past. Race relations will never improve if we dont have an honest accounting of all facets of race relations and the fight for civil rights.

you should also in fairness to the issue invoke the thought that the party of Reagan had evolved into a party of conservatism that did not include the denial of civil rights to blacks but the protection of god , country and the church more so then any other alleged southern value.

it would also be fair to note in your narrative that Strom Thurmond while converting as described you ommitted your own parties rich history of racial oppression. the question is has it changed? Joe Biden telling you what you have to do to be black would appear to indicate that the plantation mindset is alive and well in the DNC

Last edited:

floridays

Glad school vouchers are the great equalizer that proves the modern-day Republican party is the party of Lincoln and not the party of the Confederate flag fanatic. LOL
It's not, it was the first brick I offered.
A quality, safe education is a great starting point to show Mom's, Dad's and Grandparents a commitment to their offspring, those they love the most.

Where do the democrat's stand?

newfie

it is not and has never been the confederate flag. it is the flag of those early dixicrats and later evolved into a representation of the south without the intended racist implications.
it's an interesting seperation of perspectives in this day. todays southerner looks at it as a flag of the south without the racist connotations where black america looks at it as a flag that represents the old south with racist connotations.

Box Ox

it's an interesting seperation of perspectives in this day. todays southerner looks at it as a flag of the south without the racist connotations where black america looks at it as a flag that represents the old south with racist connotations.

I'm a moderate southerner who acknowledges, as most moderate southerners do, that if the men who flew that Confederate battle flag had won the Civil War, black people would have continued to be enslaved in America. My southern ancestors were very brave, but their cause was wrong and their battle flag should not be honored.

Box Ox

I'll read it...... before I do, tell me exactly how long has he been in elected office and how long was he Vice-President?
Before I read it it rings hollow, Why Now I Ask?

I'll be back at ya.

Oh, I'm with ya on all of Biden's weak points. I wish he weren't the Democratic Presidential candidate. I wish Trump wasn't the Republican Presidential candidate.

newfie

I'm a moderate southerner who acknowledges, as most moderate southerners do, that if the men who flew that Confederate battle flag had won the Civil War, black people would have continued to be enslaved in America. My southern ancestors were very brave, but their cause was wrong and their battle flag should not be honored.

the south fought for states rights so in those southern states one of the benifits of victory would have been the right to enslave. But for how long. You could see that many prominent americans during that time even in the south did not believe in slavery or were developing feelings of empathy for thier slaves. Again that flag that you see was not flown by the conferderate army. a similar version was flown by some virginian armies but it was never the flag of the confederate army during the civil war.

so when you make that argument you are really talking about southerners in the 1940's who fought for that flag?

the confederates fought under three different flags. the flag called the "confederate flag" was carried by the army of northern virginia and not the entire confederatecy

floridays

Oh, I'm with ya on all of Biden's weak points. I wish he weren't the Democratic Presidential candidate. I wish Trump wasn't the Republican Presidential candidate.
I understand that, I've been reading your dissents with your party.
The fact remains your party has left you like it left Reagan. With a Biden victory or loss, the part of your party that you do not like remains. Either way what you do not like will have a major say in the direction of our country. You know Biden cannot lead, he is mentally incapable, and the far left will assert themselves.

You said, "Oh, I'm with ya on all of Biden's weak points."
Exactly what is his strength?