Getting bumped

wayfair

swollen member
I was bumped off a route by a guy who went to feeders.... he bounces back and forth because of low seniority on feeders... he'll keep that route until he gets a bid on feeders...
we have a handful of drivers who retain their routes that way

moreluck

golden ticket member
Getting bumped
Originally Posted by UpstateNYUPSer
...or perhaps he has the maturity not to discuss his sex life or disparage his wife on an Internet forum...

Yeah, disparaging mates & dates is YOUR job !!

I understand the whole seniority thing, but there has to be a limit. I'm not saying a person lose their seniority but after a period of being out of service through injury or whatnot they shouldn't be able to keep others from moving up.

In this case someone out 3 years, yeah they don't lose their spot but when they come back they don't have a bid route but next time bids come up they have first choice based on seniority. Seriously how would you feel waiting your turn and someone who was injured, I don't fault them, suddenly comes back and completely kicks you out of a bid just because they are now released say 5 weeks after you started your bid route?

I'm not saying the person injured should be without work once released, but at what point are the other "teamster brothers and sisters" being penalized for this?

I agree. In my case, the guy has been out a total of 4 years in the past 7.(With all different injuries I might add)

menotyou

bella amicizia
I understand the whole seniority thing, but there has to be a limit. I'm not saying a person lose their seniority but after a period of being out of service through injury or whatnot they shouldn't be able to keep others from moving up.

In this case someone out 3 years, yeah they don't lose their spot but when they come back they don't have a bid route but next time bids come up they have first choice based on seniority. Seriously how would you feel waiting your turn and someone who was injured, I don't fault them, suddenly comes back and completely kicks you out of a bid just because they are now released say 5 weeks after you started your bid route?

I'm not saying the person injured should be without work once released, but at what point are the other "teamster brothers and sisters" being penalized for this?

I agree. In my case, the guy has been out a total of 4 years in the past 7.(With all different injuries I might add)
So, we should go case by case? I had anterior discetomy with plating and fusing. I went back to work for a year. I went back out for carpal tunnel release on both wrists. Both of those were moot as the symptoms stem from my spinal cord. While out, it is discovered that the fuse in my neck wasn't fused. I have my own ideas as to the cause. Point being, I had to get a second opinion. Wait for surgery approval, which I had to go to court for. In the meantime, the weeks are flying by. I am out of work on comp pay, which in no where near what I make at UPS. Financial stress is so fun. Finally, I get approval for a surgery most wouldn't have. It takes a year and a half to heal. Coupled with therapy, it takes years to get back to work.

Should I be punished for this? Guess what, I am at the point of not caring what others think. It's my bid. Period. If it takes 10 years, to get back, guess what? It's still my bid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will use a sports analogy--"You should not lose your starting job due to an injury". Injured seniority employees are contractually entitled to bid with their route covered by casual/cover drivers until they return, whether it be 6 months or 10 years.

S

serenity now

seniority sucks, unless you have it:wink2:

I will use a sports analogy--"You should not lose your starting job due to an injury". Injured seniority employees are contractually entitled to bid with their route covered by casual/cover drivers until they return, whether it be 6 months or 10 years.

Exactly my point! To be clear, UPS totally botched our bid this year. I don’t think that I have made it really clear that I think that most of this is their fault. In our local we hold routes for drivers out on comp, and cover drivers run it until they return.

Is this particular driver a jerk? yep. Should he have sent in the absentee slip in February? yep. Should UPS have done their job and made sure a route was held for him? Absolutely.

Nimnim

The Nim
So, we should go case by case? I had anterior discetomy with plating and fusing. I went back to work for a year. I went back out for carpal tunnel release on both wrists. Both of those were moot as the symptoms stem from my spinal cord. While out, it is discovered that the fuse in my neck wasn't fused. I have my own ideas as to the cause. Point being, I had to get a second opinion. Wait for surgery approval, which I had to go to court for. In the meantime, the weeks are flying by. I am out of work on comp pay, which in no where near what I make at UPS. Financial stress is so fun. Finally, I get approval for a surgery most wouldn't have. It takes a year and a half to heal. Coupled with therapy, it takes years to get back to work.

Should I be punished for this? Guess what, I am at the point of not caring what others think. It's my bid. Period. If it takes 10 years, to get back, guess what? It's still my bid.

I'm not saying those out on disability or whatever should be without work when they get back, I'm just saying that there should be a limit how long a bid is held for someone unable to actually work. There's enough complaints out there for FT positions not being filled by PTers who want to step up. If a position is being held indefinitely for someone who may or may not be back to work it's not really fair for those who have been waiting their turn. There's really no good solution to this, but think of it this way. Someone is out for at least a year and might not ever be cleared meaning the company will cut a check and say good day to the FTer. Some will take it, some won't, but in the mean time there's a route out there that doesn't have a person who is able to work assigned to it. That sounds to me like a new FT position instead of just making PT cover drivers hit it.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nimmin, would you consider the balance of the current bid cycle and a subsequent full bid cycle ample time before the injured employee loses his right to bid? We bid every 3 years here with our next bid cycle starting 2/13. If I were to become injured tomorrow that means my right to bid would be preserved through 2/16. Would this seem fair to you?

Nimnim

The Nim
Nimmin, would you consider the balance of the current bid cycle and a subsequent full bid cycle ample time before the injured employee loses his right to bid? We bid every 3 years here with our next bid cycle starting 2/13. If I were to become injured tomorrow that means my right to bid would be preserved through 2/16. Would this seem fair to you?

I've mulled this a bit, and as said before I don't think there's an easy answer. I'm going to try and make the clearest statement I can upon this subject given some of the people who read this and I'm still trying to think of situations and details to cover everything.

If a person is unable to work through an entire bid period they should be unable to bid. No seniority lost, just unable to bid that time around. Bid periods do seem to vary by region and perhaps longer ones may need more attention.

Last edited:

Nimnim

The Nim
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm thinking more here about how Upstate said there's a 3 year bid cycle where he's at. I know it's rare in most areas now to have a wait time to go FT less than 5 years, 3 years is really rare. So poking at it some, if a FTer is out for 3 years that is potentially half the wait time for a PTer to move up. yeah it benefits the company to spend 3 years using cover drivers to fill that route since they don't make FT PC wages, at least in my area. 3 Years though, why not open another FT position, the odds are good in a larger facility someone will leave in that time so it's pretty easy to cover that.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm thinking more here about how Upstate said there's a 3 year bid cycle where he's at. I know it's rare in most areas now to have a wait time to go FT less than 5 years, 3 years is really rare. So poking at it some, if a FTer is out for 3 years that is potentially half the wait time for a PTer to move up. yeah it benefits the company to spend 3 years using cover drivers to fill that route since they don't make FT PC wages, at least in my area. 3 Years though, why not open another FT position, the odds are good in a larger facility someone will leave in that time so it's pretty easy to cover that.
We have 2 year bids here. I have done more than most would do to get back to that job that was secured to me through seniority. It's mine. It's funny how no one with more seniority than me seems to care.

W

want to retire

I've mulled this a bit, and as said before I don't think there's an easy answer. I'm going to try and make the clearest statement I can upon this subject given some of the people who read this and I'm still trying to think of situations and details to cover everything.

If a person is unable to work through an entire bid period they should be unable to bid. No seniority lost, just unable to bid that time around. Bid periods do seem to vary by region and perhaps longer ones may need more attention.

This is bs. IF it is work related.......the ft bids and we all wait for his/her return. Filled by a cover driver. Who are you to decide? Just the way it is. If you- you'd be all over it, feeling the same way.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As I said we bid every two years. It took 1 year to get approval, and it takes 1.5 years to correctly heal. So, Nimnim, based solely on your timeline, I should lose my bid? I really do hope you never injure your back, but should you, I want to see you be the first to step up to the plate and walk away from your position(no matter where it is, as there are those under you who would like to move up on the seniority pole) if you aren't back in two years.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't know what the bid time is here, but I'll use 2 years. If I knew that I would not be back to work for 2 years why should I bid? By the time I get back it'll be time to bid again. I wouldn't be losing my full time position by not bidding, I just potentially wouldn't have a standard route when I got back. Now if I would be losing out on FT status I'd be fighting like hell to bid.

I certainly view things differently than a lot of people here, I know what the system is now, and know it's probably not going to change. So at this point it's just a disagreement of how we think things should be done with nothing changed in the end.