Getting fired for being to slow.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Working slow and doing the least amount of work possible is how you're supposed to work at ups. Management is just envious they're not as slow and incompetent as ur friend and see him as a threat to their positions that's all.
You Sir, need to run for office in the union...

SubPop79

It's possible that they are trying to encourage him to quit. I can't say for UPS, but many companies out there are using all sorts of tactics to encourage employees to quit when they want to get rid of them. The reason for this, former employees that quit can't collect unemployment. The tactics vary and some of them are quite evil. Some one I know was given false information by his supervisor which led to him voluntarily quitting. Basically the supervisor told him that it was his last day and that he was being let go. So when he didn't show up for work the following business day, the company called him to find out why. When he found out his supervisor had lied to him, he got mad and just quit. What he should have done was stayed and put up with the BS until they did fire him. He would have had a better chance of getting unemployment then. The worst that has happened so far, the supervisor turns all of the other employees against you by giving them false information about alleged actions you supposedly have done.

Do they actually do this? I've been loading for 3 years and have felt at times that they are encouraging me to quit. Always thought it was posturing. "You gotta speed it up. Power through." Go :censored2: yourselves. I have one of the highest PPHs in the highest volume truck.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Do they actually do this? I've been loading for 3 years and have felt at times that they are encouraging me to quit. Always thought it was posturing. "You gotta speed it up. Power through." Go :censored2: yourselves. I have one of the highest PPHs in the highest volume truck.

Whether or not UPS does this or not, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised though. Most other companies definitely are. By the way it is known as constructive discharge. It involves bullying, intimidation, harassment, and deceit. The only defense is to not quit but make the company fire you.
It was about a year when I saw a site job blog that was called 'When not to quit.' Some of the comments there did mention some of the tactics I have mentioned. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. My guess it's no longer on the web.

Kirtus

There's this slow unloader who has 8 years in the company in my shift. Everyone talks mad **** about him, from the sups to the rookie unloaders.

The funny thing is that smart sort's full of people who play on their cellphones and nobody tells them anything.