Getting Hired as a Driver

Scuderia1

Hello all just wondering how easy is to get hired as a driver if you actually know somebody who is a full-time sup? And if you do get hired that way will it create any problems?

jaker

trolling
Hello all just wondering how easy is to get hired as a driver if you actually know somebody who is a full-time sup? And if you do get hired that way will it create any problems?
It's real easy to become a driver you do 5+ years as a PT and wait until you turn , see real easy you just wait

Oh I am sorry you wanted the give it to me now way , well in that case you go to your friend ask to talk to the center manager show him your knee pads and boom you are a driver when it is done

Scuderia1

Thanks for your response. What kind of problems, or will it just be a temporary thing where people will get over? I assume even if you know someone the you probably still have to be a package handler first for a little.

Scuderia1

Yea I can imagine I would be pissed myself. For me
Thanks for your response. What kind of problems, or will it just be a temporary thing where people will get over? I assume even if you know someone the you probably still have to be a package handler first for a little.

Sorry disregard that question I just realized how retarded it was lol.

phox1515

you have to be a package handler regardless... union rules stuff. gotta earn the seniority and then when a spot opens up he who has the most gets it first, unless he doesn't want it and then it goes to the #2 person in line and so fourth.

Future

Victory Ride
I have heard cases of burning pkgs on your front lawn if you cheat the system of getting a full time job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

you have to be a package handler regardless... union rules stuff. gotta earn the seniority and then when a spot opens up he who has the most gets it first, unless he doesn't want it and then it goes to the #2 person in line and so fourth.

This is not true. There is a ratio of inside:outside hires (6:1) and he would be considered the outside hire.

Some of the best drivers are hired off the street.

UPSGUY72

Sorry but that isn't going to happen As Upstate says there is a 6 to 1 inside to outside hire ratio and that one spot usually goes to a casual or sometime a PT SUP. In the past when the inside to outside hire ratio was lower you had a better chance but these days I don't see them hiring a FT package driver off the street with no / zero ups experience.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sorry but that isn't going to happen As Upstate says there is a 6 to 1 inside to outside hire ratio and that one spot usually goes to a casual or sometime a PT SUP. In the past when the inside to outside hire ratio was lower you had a better chance but these days I don't see them hiring a FT package driver off the street with no / zero ups experience.
Depends on how well he knows this full time sup.

Marne Vet

Not true. There's a ratio, and if they go through the dove tailed list and no one wants to drive, or is qualified, then they hire right off the street. My center manager asked us at a PCM during the summer if we knew anyone that wanted to drive. Our building was desperate to get drivers. Happens sometimes. Depends on where you go.

Scuderia1

Long time friends went to school together. But regardless if I get in right away as a driver that would be amazing. I am still willing to put the time in as a package handler, hopefully is help may cut the time short but it seems like an amazing job that keeps you fit.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Long time friends went to school together. But regardless if I get in right away as a driver that would be amazing. I am still willing to put the time in as a package handler, hopefully is help may cut the time short but it seems like an amazing job that keeps you fit.

Are you in a large metro area? Chances of getting in quicker better in such areas; I was a package handler for one year before I went out as a driver, and I was taught by supes how to driver a manual transmission during that year, as I did not know how (was told at the union meeting later on that there is a provision in the contract mentioning this).

Interesting story in my center: we have a guy who just made seniority who last year was a first-time helper/upser. Helper-to-FT driver; talk about rags-to-riches!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...but it seems like an amazing job that keeps you fit.

As I am sitting here typing this I am nursing a sore shoulder and elbow, I have tightness on the right side of my neck, I have cuts and dry skin on both hands caused by the cold and I have a bandage on the tip of the middle finger on my right hand due to closing the bulkhead door on it (that hurt----I never realized I knew that many curse words). So much for keeping you fit.

It is no longer the "amazing job" that it used to be. It is simply a paycheck.

phox1515

Not true. There's a ratio, and if they go through the dove tailed list and no one wants to drive, or is qualified, then they hire right off the street. My center manager asked us at a PCM during the summer if we knew anyone that wanted to drive. Our building was desperate to get drivers. Happens sometimes. Depends on where you go.

wow... i find it hard to believe no one would want to be a driver, I can understand people in college or just wanting to work part time, but come on what an opportunity! I look at these various driver salaries and just drool, as i said in another post i don't want to be a driver as a career but if i got the chance while I was working on getting a career I would totally take it!

Marne Vet

wow... i find it hard to believe no one would want to be a driver, I can understand people in college or just wanting to work part time, but come on what an opportunity! I look at these various driver salaries and just drool, as i said in another post i don't want to be a driver as a career but if i got the chance while I was working on getting a career I would totally take it!

There are various reasons. When I started it took me over 3 years to become a FT driver. In our building our list is Dove tailed with another hub, and I too was shocked when I saw all the guys getting hired right off the street. Couldn't help but feel a little jealous. I asked my center manager why, and he said that people were either turning it down for whatever reasons, or couldn't qualify. No drivers license, moving violations, etc etc. Now the hub across the river and not far from us? 5-7 years to make it. Doesn't seem right.