Getting paid in advance for personal days

klover2honey

I know they have done this in the past, but was told today that you can't get paid in advance for personal days. I know that at the end of the year, if you don't use your personal days, they give you a check for the remaining days that you didn't use, so why can't they let you have them during the year when you might need them? They have done this is the past for me. Just wondering if this is something new. Reason being, is that I know I will qualify for short term disability for surgery I have coming up and can use that while I am out and would like to have my personal days paid in advance so I can use that money for things that might not be covered by insurance. New insurance only pays 80% up to $1000 deductible, then 100% after that, for certain things. Thanks for your input.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Start a savings account after you get back to work.

It's all up to management if they want to let u or not. We had a driver out 3-4 months with a knee injury. Management let him move all of his vacations so he could be paid. They didn't have to though. Could of just paid him when he picked them. If so this driver would of lost his house likely. It's been in foreclosure a few times and yet he still doesn't learn.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I know they have done this in the past, but was told today that you can't get paid in advance for personal days. I know that at the end of the year, if you don't use your personal days, they give you a check for the remaining days that you didn't use, so why can't they let you have them during the year when you might need them? They have done this is the past for me. Just wondering if this is something new. Reason being, is that I know I will qualify for short term disability for surgery I have coming up and can use that while I am out and would like to have my personal days paid in advance so I can use that money for things that might not be covered by insurance. New insurance only pays 80% up to $1000 deductible, then 100% after that, for certain things. Thanks for your input.
I would assume they don't like doing it because they don't want people getting into the habit of coming to UPS and saying I want my money, and having to deal with it on a constant basis. You should get paid for short term disability. I was out for a month in Dec and got paid pretty damn well for that month. I didn't get any checks until about 2 weeks in so if I were you I'd just save my money.

Johney

How could they pay you for them? You call out or take a day they code you for it and you get paid. If you work how can they code you to get paid? Can it even be done?

klover2honey

How could they pay you for them? You call out or take a day they code you for it and you get paid. If you work how can they code you to get paid? Can it even be done?
Well, they pay you for them at the end of the year if you don't use them, at least where I work. And I have had a supervisor do this for me a few years ago in the middle of the year. I think this is something new that they started recently.

klover2honey

I would assume they don't like doing it because they don't want people getting into the habit of coming to UPS and saying I want my money, and having to deal with it on a constant basis. You should get paid for short term disability. I was out for a month in Dec and got paid pretty damn well for that month. I didn't get any checks until about 2 weeks in so if I were you I'd just save my money.
They said I would get half my average pay for short term disability, and I can't live off of that. And you can't use your personal days and get disability at the same time.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They said I would get half my average pay for short term disability, and I can't live off of that. And you can't use your personal days and get disability at the same time.

If you are on restrictions ten tell UPS your restrictions. If they can't give you wrk with your restrictions then apply for unemployment and get the difference there. We have guys do that all the time here.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you've been here long enough to get personal days, you've been here long enough to stash some emergency cash away. Learn from this experience.