Glenn Gary Glenn Ross= UPS

ups1990

UPS, is taking a cue from this movie. Constantly pressuring drivers with their ABC's. Always Be Closing. We have enough to deal with during our work day, now we have to be a salesperson as well.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That was a great movie.
"We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?
Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

mountaingoat

One of Alec Baldwin's best roles...
"You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name"

W

westsideworma

the video of that speech (Alec Baldwin) routinely makes its way around the cafe, I remember I posted it once back about a year ago and someone else recently did also. Good stuff really seems applicable sometimes. If you haven't seen that scene at least, check out youtube.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm glad Alec did well in that movie, because now he's let himself go and he's becoming a fat old man like Capt. Kirk......yet he'll probably still get roles with the likes of Katie Holmes playing his wife/girlfriend. That's Hollywood.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I'm glad Alec did well in that movie, because now he's let himself go and he's becoming a fat old man like Capt. Kirk......yet he'll probably still get roles with the likes of Katie Holmes playing his wife/girlfriend. That's Hollywood.

He's also a womanizer IIRC. A man that calls his daughter and leaves a profanity laden voicemail for her is a steaming pile in my personal opinion. I don't care how 'good' they were in movies. -Rocky

P

pickup

the video of that speech (Alec Baldwin) routinely makes its way around the cafe, I remember I posted it once back about a year ago and someone else recently did also. Good stuff really seems applicable sometimes. If you haven't seen that scene at least, check out youtube.

I am the guy that recently posted alec baldwin's speech in response to salesguy's evangelical preaching of getting leads. There is a part towards the end of Baldwin's speech where he shows the salesmen the new leads and says something to the effect "that to give them to you would be the equivalent of throwing them out the window, you wouldn't know what to do with them." That's the message I was trying to convey to salesguy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The issue is not about getting leads.

Its the point that we are more expensive than other companies. AND most of the companies that have/are using DHL, FED-EX, and USPS are using them because they became unsatisfied in our past service.

It doesnt take a college graduate to realize that running the unload until boxes are blowing apart on the belts that there is a limit to what we can do. UPS should have no need for tape or extra boxes under the slides if we are promising them we are taking care of their boxes.

9/10 of the sales leads I have entered end up dying because the businesses were wronged by us and went elsewhere. The 3 leads that I did get credit for came about BECAUSE these businesses asked me how to get a UPS account.

Don't take this as a shot at UPS, but we need to fix how we run the business from the inside. Beating up on us drivers and assuming we are the issues isn't the way. I would hope every company would ship with us, but reality needs to slap some of the upper management ties in the face.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Loved Alec Baldwin in "Hunt for Red October" as Jack Ryan. When Harrison Ford took over that role it just wasn't the same character,

helenofcalifornia

Or the sales people screw them up somehow. Or that call center that initiates calls to the new potential business, and then end up pissing off the possible new account. Upstate has all the good sales people.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Or the sales people screw them up somehow. Or that call center that initiates calls to the new potential business, and then end up pissing off the possible new account. Upstate has all the good sales people.

Or he follows up and monitors to ensure things are done correctly. People who are lucky tend to be like that.

helenofcalifornia

Hoax, I am being almost serious when I say Upstate has the good ones. I do follow up on my sales leads with the BD people. I also ask the potential new customer what they have heard from UPS. Maybe I am not getting "the big picture" but if my sales leads will only bring in small quantities of packages on a non-regular basis, the BD people don't care. I don't have factories or warehouses on my route so that avenue is closed. New business is new business. Remember when UPS was saying in the early 90's "forget getting ground leads, go only for the air!". And then there was Fedex ground. Whoops!

I just think that alot of UPSers who have put in leads in the past are saying the same thing-BD doesn't follow up or acts like they could care less. I understand the importance of getting sales leads, I submit new ones all the time. I just wish Atlanta would listen to us when we say there is something not right with the sales program.

I am now getting off the pulpit.

helenofcalifornia

I don't think Upstate is lucky; he has good sales people who communicate well with both the customer and the driver in helping to gain new business. Upstate is good at what he does because he has been provided the necessary training and has had enough positive feedback to go out and continue getting new leads. Two cents.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
It doesnt take a college graduate to realize that running the unload until boxes are blowing apart on the belts that there is a limit to what we can do. UPS should have no need for tape or extra boxes under the slides if we are promising them we are taking care of their boxes.

Very well said

BrownSuit

Maybe I am not getting "the big picture" but if my sales leads will only bring in small quantities of packages on a non-regular basis, the BD people don't care.

Sadly, these are often the most profitable customers, the small and middle market customers. They often have very little pricing or discounts in place and the cost to serve is generally much less than our larger customers.