Glimpses of the past

bellyz

Delivery Training

Has anyone received actual training on where you are or are not allowed to place boxes for delivery? Is there really a rule that says UPS cannot block an entrance/exit or stairway with the packages or is it up to the driver's discretion?

feeder53

ADKtrails
For safety reasons I do not believe it would be propper to block an entrance or exit. Even if it were 1 package, someone might trip over it and injure themselves.

filthpig

The thread talking about using a pouch or clip for the Diad got me to thinking about the old clipboard days. I can remember using the same clipboard for years. It was so frayed on the edges from being dropped it was almost unusable. I still carry it with me incase my DIAD goes out plus I stuff a few turn in envelopes on it with a few maps. I use to keep the clip sharp to cut off COD tags. Ah.......... the good ole days.

Don't know about you but I would go back to sheeting six digits and a ID number in a heartbeat in order to get rid of the DIAD. At least then you didn't have to worry about getting 20 messages a day or an OCA that would ruin your day. Only way they could get in touch with you was to call a pick-up account which always forgot to tell you to call in to the center if you know what I mean. :wink2:
Yeah, that was a ball getting people to sign that in the rain and spending 20-30 mins doing turn in after work. I like the DIAD. Cuts down on paper work.

rod

Retired 22 years
My Dad was telling me that when he was shipping UPS from his business in the 80's..that the driver would bring a metal chain with him..and if the chain didn't fit around the boxes..UPS wouldn't take them...

These days we would need some GIGANTIC chains for the crap we take......bowflexes....sleepmatic beds...etc.
Seriously don't they still issue the 108 inch chain anymore? I'm sure if I looked around my garage I could come up with a couple of them:happy2:

bellyz

For safety reasons I do not believe it would be propper to block an entrance or exit. Even if it were 1 package, someone might trip over it and injure themselves.

Were you trained on this though? It sounds like it's all up to the driver's discretion/common sense. Is there anything in any training manual that says where you are or aren't permitted to place a package?

filthpig

I guess what I remember most from the old days was the almost total absence of technology in a UPS facility. No scanners or computers. I think we had 1 or 2 computers in the whole building when I started (1988). I also remember the INCREDIBLE amount of file cabinets. Hundreds. And those long counters where we did our turn in. All of that's gone now.

Were you trained on this though? It sounds like it's all up to the driver's discretion/common sense. Is there anything in any training manual that says where you are or aren't permitted to place a package?
I can't say what is in the "manual" but I was trained to place packages out of normal walk paths @ businesses and next to the door @ residential stops (we got sigs on most resis at that time). Whether or not anyone was actually trained anything specific depended on the trainer.

When I was a clerk, the paper records were a huge PIA for me, I was the one that had the joy of filing all that crap. When I started all the drivers just placed the records in a box for me to separate the copies from the originals and file the copies then send the orig to the district office. It didn't take me long to get a system in place to get that task done easier and faster.

I guess what I remember most from the old days was the almost total absence of technology in a UPS facility. No scanners or computers. I think we had 1 or 2 computers in the whole building when I started (1988). I also remember the INCREDIBLE amount of file cabinets. Hundreds. And those long counters where we did our turn in. All of that's gone now.
Ahhh yeah, the ole RS1 dinosaurs, I mean computers. Simple number crunchers. The dot matrix printers were so large and loud too, they placed them in padded boxes to cut down on the racket.

JustTired

free at last.......
WOW. I'm impressed. You're saying you failed to use the proper methods. What other methods didn't you do as you were trained to do back then? Are you still making up your own methods today? Don't let Griff see this, he's under the impression that all drivers use the methods they were trained to use and not violate the Contract.

Let's just say I adjusted some of the methods to enhance my performance. Back then I was usually one of the first drivers back on a regular basis. Used to get paid to drive home and sometimes eat dinner (8 hr. guarantee). I've always said that the methods are a good place to start. You just have to find what works best for you as an individual. Nowadays I follow the methods a lot closer. It doesn't pay to do anything else. Why would anyone get done early just to get more work the next day? That was what made them the "good old days"!!:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had to do one vision today and mt on-road sup had a great explanation for our company. He said "we used to be in the pkg delivery business, now we are in the technology industry delivering pkgs". I thought it wis very appropriate.

Big Babooba

We had one old time driver who dated back to when the package cars didn't have any shelves. Every day after leaving the building, he would pull over and take everything off of the shelf and load it on the floor. he even had blankets to seperate his towns. He did this until the day he retired, even when he had supervisors riding with him. He always got the job done, so they looked the other way.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
we have a driver that refers to the pre-DR days as "when the drivers used to sign for everything":lol::punk:

I was a swing/cover driver back then. Some of the bid drivers would hide delivery notices at there regular customers. The trick was finding them. It was an absolute pain to beg a neighbor to sign for a package. Especially in suburban or rural areas where it was more than a walk next door.

You could always tell the neighbors who were feuding. They would see you at the door and disappear. It reminded me of when I was a paper boy and would have to go collecting from customers on Saturdays. They would see it was me and scatter like rats! It could give a guy a complex. Kind of like getting barked at by dogs all day.

Jim Kemp

Does anyone remember when we had a 50lbs limit and only 200lbs from a shipper to a consignee.
And when there was no intrastate del in Texas.
Also the operation report was done by hand on a huge spread sheet that they put in a trailor at night and unloaded in the morning.Who knows where it went?
We had no 1,2 or 3 day air,no committ times and no ways to really track a pkg. Pick ups were made as you went, we did not ever go back a second time. If it was not ready at 10am to bad.
I also recall it cost .75cents to ship a 1lbs pkg.
Your car was washed everyday, even if it never hit the road that day.
I think they painted it once a year. I remember once our center failed a audit because they said the cars were not clean enough and they looked great compared to the way the cars look today.
Also we started at 6am and if we were not making del. by 8am we were LATE.
Boy o boy have things changed and not always for the better.

UPS Lifer

When I started driving in 1973, we had brick loads and edge loads..... and you better believe every package was in stop for stop order. The "night loaders" used bins to "position - write - load" each package.

rod

Retired 22 years
Does anyone remember when we had a 50lbs limit and only 200lbs from a shipper to a consignee.
And when there was no intrastate del in Texas.
Also the operation report was done by hand on a huge spread sheet that they put in a trailor at night and unloaded in the morning.Who knows where it went?
We had no 1,2 or 3 day air,no committ times and no ways to really track a pkg. Pick ups were made as you went, we did not ever go back a second time. If it was not ready at 10am to bad.
I also recall it cost .75cents to ship a 1lbs pkg.
Your car was washed everyday, even if it never hit the road that day.
I think they painted it once a year. I remember once our center failed a audit because they said the cars were not clean enough and they looked great compared to the way the cars look today.
Also we started at 6am and if we were not making del. by 8am we were LATE.
Boy o boy have things changed and not always for the better.
Good ones:happy2: I believe in feb. 1971 when I started a one pound pkg cost 55 cents to ship. I made the mistake of telling my Dad ( he owned an office supply store) that he could get around the no more than 100 lb rule if he had the shipper address his boxes of paper to different people in his shop. Dumb thing for me to tell him because his shop was on my route. He even made up names so he could get more damm paper.:sad-little: