Going to training but not hired?

OptimusPrime

The only thing that seems a tad off is have you passed your DOT physical and obtained your Chauffeur's License?(or whatever is your state equivalent). Pretty sure both had to done before you could take the PC out on the road for training. I'm really sure about the license part. IIRC, we had one guy who couldn't go out the first day because the HR at his building hadn't made sure he had is. As to the DOT physical, not totally sure.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
No, I'm not trying to brag. It would not benefit me to do so, especially as a n00b and an off-the-street hire which I already know comes with a lot of contention with co-workers since so many people spend a lot of time as package handlers and presort waiting to get a driver position. In addition, it was explicitly stated to us during the tour that it is not a temp, PT, or seasonal position. It's FT. The reason for my original post is because I've had several jobs in the past involving off site training. I've NEVER had one that sends people there before formally hiring them (W-9s and other paperwork, etc). It's an unusual situation and I was curious if anyone else had been in this scenario. As I originally stated, I do have a job and it would be nice to know where I stand in the hiring process with regard to giving notice to my current employer..

Didn't realize I'd ruffle so many feathers, but at least now I know what to expect...

Dont worry, hes a complete :censored2: to those who arnt bleeding from the arms. Good luck to you, drive safe and have a ****ty day!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Dont worry, hes a complete :censored2: to those who arnt bleeding from the arms. Good luck to you, drive safe and have a ****ty day!

640_pa030009.jpg
640_pa030009.jpg

UPS Preloader

Hey guys! Quick question:

I applied for a driver position (yes, I know about the 7:1 thing and I took the shot in the dark to be an off-the-street hire) and went to the tour of the facility today at 10:55am. We heard about working for UPS for 35 mins and then interviews started. There were 8 of us there and the interviews were averaging 10 to 15 minutes. I did the interview and I felt super positive about it. So about 3:40pm I got called back by HR. He asked if I still had an interest in the job (obviously I did). He said they needed my SSN and DOB to start background checks which I provided him with. Then he asks if I am still able to go to the driver training out of town next week. You betcha. I got the option of having a hotel sunday night due to travel or if I wanted to drive down Monday morning. I chose the hotel for Sunday night because it's a long drive. He says that's fine and he'll call later and give me confirmation info.

Awesome!

But....what does this mean in terms of being hired? Are they going to run background while I do training and see if I can make the cut? My background is spotless so I'm not worried about that. What is the week long training like?

The reason I ask is that I currently work full time and I don't want to be the jerk employee that quits without giving any sort of notice. In your personal experiences is this whole scenario normal? Does it basically lead to employment?

Before you quit your job, did they let you know that the position is most likely temporary?

Employees hired to cover vacations in the months of June, July and August and the first two weeks of September shall not attain seniority.

UPS Preloader

In addition, it was explicitly stated to us during the tour that it is not a temp, PT, or seasonal position. It's FT.

I've known many people over the years that were told the same thing only to find out a few months later that it is temporary. (Yes, I know it's hard to believe that UPS would lie to you.) If I were you I would get it in writing and even then I'd be careful as it is states otherwise in the contract.

The Milkman

No, I'm not trying to brag. It would not benefit me to do so, especially as a n00b and an off-the-street hire which I already know comes with a lot of contention with co-workers since so many people spend a lot of time as package handlers and presort waiting to get a driver position. In addition, it was explicitly stated to us during the tour that it is not a temp, PT, or seasonal position. It's FT. The reason for my original post is because I've had several jobs in the past involving off site training. I've NEVER had one that sends people there before formally hiring them (W-9s and other paperwork, etc). It's an unusual situation and I was curious if anyone else had been in this scenario. As I originally stated, I do have a job and it would be nice to know where I stand in the hiring process with regard to giving notice to my current employer...

Didn't realize I'd ruffle so many feathers, but at least now I know what to expect...

I was hired off the street and never worked P/T..I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I started back in 81..I worked peak but I took a medical leave (phony) from my full time job which I was at for 7 yrs knowing that from what I heard prior was that if you did well in peak there was a good chance they would call you back. So went back to my old job then was called back in Sept of 82..the rest is history..By the way I came in at a good time because NDA was just taking off and things were starting to take shape in Europe........Good Luck:peaceful:

Funtimes

they did say you might not work a couple weeks to begin with because lack of trainers. they also said there could be times you might not work in the interview in months ahead depending on if it wasn't busy but hadn't had to lay off anyone in a couple yrs.
I did not get a call back but good luck Todd

cdlschool57

Excuse me for my ignorance on this thread. I'm assuming we are talking about OTR Drivers here? UPS is advertising on all the job sites around here for OTR Drivers (UPS Freight?) and because I visited one site to look at the application process for one of our new Illinois CDL Class A drivers I'm getting e-mails telling me that 'UPS want to hire you". I haven't actually been able to get through to anyone at UPS to talk to them about hiring newbees. The ads state that they need a hazmat, which we can get our students so that isn't a problem. When I talked to our Lead Trainer here he stated that he wouldn't send anyone over to UPS because they would work them on the dock for 5 years before they could drive a semi. I've heard stories like that over the years for delivery drivers, but can't figure out why they would want an OTR guy to have a valid hazmat and then work him on the dock? So - long story short, does anyone know if they hire fresh grads with hazmats for OTR driving? As far as pay, I would only refer them to UPS if they made the average starting wage for an OTR driver that I know I can get from other companies where I placed - $36,000 - $42,000 a year, depending on how much time a guy wanted to stay on the road.