Goodbye Humanity

rickyb

The rise of the machines is upon us. Make peace with your particular god of choice, make sure your loved ones know what they mean to you.
complex systems collapse

civilizations collapse

it takes will power from we the people if we are to save ourselves from self destruction.

the action we would take to save ourselves would be a revolution from what we are currently doing

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
If it gets its information from the internet, then odds are, yes.
217198AE-F0A7-4534-88A5-D53573061801.gif

El Correcto

god is dead
I’m very cynical about science’s lofty ideals and beliefs about what humans should strive to achieve. I don’t think we will ever be like Star Trek and I don’t think we will ever experience creating an artificial consciousness that will replace us.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’m very cynical about science’s lofty ideals and beliefs about what humans should strive to achieve. I don’t think we will ever be like Star Trek and I don’t think we will ever experience creating an artificial consciousness that will replace us.

Is it more the artificial consciousness? Or the idea that such a thing would replace us?

Box Ox

I’m very cynical about science’s lofty ideals and beliefs about what humans should strive to achieve. I don’t think we will ever be like Star Trek

Joe Rogan's recent podcast episode (#1828) with Michio Kaku helped me think about this question. In particular the discussion of the Kardashev scale and its three stages of evolution of civilization. The United Federation of Planets in Star Trek would probably be an example of Type II civilization. We might become a Type I within a couple hundred years and Type II in a few thousand based on projected increases in our ability to access and use energy.