Got discharged....what now?

goober123

I have been wearing my seatbelt since I started driving my 1975 Freightliner COE bobtailing over the cross bronx XPWY and almost went thru the windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seatbelt is a must.
You will get it.Your job that is,just try and adhere to the simpliest of policies.

browned out

Most drivers were trained; sit in the seat, grab your seat belt, turn the ignition and get rolling while you are buckling your seatbelt. If the wheels rolled a foot or ten; it was fine. In the 70s and 80s alot of trucks did not even have jump seats let alone seatbelts on the passenger side. The sup would stand in the back of the truck or in the cab on rte. It will take some older drivers time to adapt to this new habit and then it will be gospel to them.

This peak, we had a driver helper stuck in jumpseat because it would not un buckle. The mechanic had to cut the belt to get him out. The mechanic brought out a new seatbelt assembly for a 7 cube. The truck involved was an 86 8 cube. Center management tried to have our driver finish the route with his helper in a jump seat with no belt. The driver refused as he should have.

Seat belts need to be used 100% of the time. Management can not pick and choose when to follow this paramount safety issue.

Romeo

You know that the first thing everyone needs to do is wake up Overnite isn't anymore and it is UPS and till you are the one that signs the pay check do as they want us to if you don't like it take it to the union and see if they will help you. I think if you just do as they say you won't have any problems.

ups2000

Now we have to have seatbelt on before car is started. And have car off before we un buckle. Doesnt matter if wheels are moving or not.

goober123

They need to send one of those safety guy's from small pkg along with the freight guy's and show them the right way to do it.

I worked as a seasonal feeder driver,and it is like night and day.

When I went for the road test at freight,I found broken triangle reflector's in the tracor,and an expired FHWA sticker on the trailer.

Almost every day I can find something to write up in the safety related section,except when I get the new pup with the liftgate,it is perfect.:happy-very:

247spies

I think regular ups had six deaths due to non seatbelt use last year. obviously you talk to the local he may save your behind. Hope there was only one person who saw you... Deny deny deny in panel. I think you'll be looking for a different job though. The safety stuff is hard not to follow...

raceanoncr

Hope there was only one person who saw you... Deny deny deny in panel.

No, not necessarily! If you're caught "red-handed" and there is clear evidence of a violation, whatever it is, and they have you by the "short-hairs", you then say you're sorry and vow never to do it again. THEN DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN!

As a retired steward, I handled many cases like this. The company had the employee dead to rights. We recommended leniency and job back. They always got it. Of course, there are more details in all these cases to be heard but the point is...if they "got" you and you deny...then you're guilty of now, "LYING". You want that?

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
No, not necessarily! If you're caught "red-handed" and there is clear evidence of a violation, whatever it is, and they have you by the "short-hairs", you then say you're sorry and vow never to do it again. THEN DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN!

As a retired steward, I handled many cases like this. The company had the employee dead to rights. We recommended leniency and job back. They always got it. Of course, there are more details in all these cases to be heard but the point is...if they "got" you and you deny...then you're guilty of now, "LYING". You want that?
This is good advice.
Lying just digs a deeper hole.
Make a mistake, suck it up, and move on.