Got hired as a Sorter, first day I was a loader

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hi all. I had my orientation (watched safety videos) and was told that I'm going to be loading a truck for an hour and half then they will send me home which he did. When I got hired,I got hired as a Sorter as the HR Supervisor had told me and on the ups website that has the application and document info says that I'm a Sorter PM. I was also told the supervisor that was supposed to be there for the orientation wasn't there and someone else was doing it instead.

My question is if I got hired as a Sorter, is it normal that they had me load a truck by stacking boxes instead of training me for sort?

I have previous experience as a sorter at Amazon.com

When I got hired, I was told that my pay would be upwards of 200k and that I would work 40 hours or less and that my average day would consist of only having around 25 stops, (most of which were under 5lbs). They also told me that since I was such highly skilled driver (from my previous job as a stuntman for low budget films) that I would move up quickly and probably be able to get any route I wanted to since the old timers just weren't cut out for job anymore and all they did was complain and file frivolous grievances, so they were trying to run them off and I was the perfect candidate to do that.

Anyways, welcome to BrownCafe and to UPS and good luck out there!

First rule of working here, don't believe what you are told, and don't believe everything you see and read on the internet because most of it is...
:bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf:

When I got hired, I was told that my pay would be upwards of 200k and that I would work 40 hours or less and that my average day would consist of only having around 25 stops, (most of which were under 5lbs). They also told me that since I was such highly skilled driver (from my previous job as a stuntman for low budget films) that I would move up quickly and probably be able to get any route I wanted to since the old timers just weren't cut out for job anymore and all they did was complain and file frivolous grievances, so they were trying to run them off and I was the perfect candidate to do that.

Anyways, welcome to BrownCafe and to UPS and good luck out there!

First rule of working here, don't believe what you are told, and don't believe everything you see and read on the internet because most of it is...
:bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf::bsbullf:
Especially if @scooby0048 posted it.

J

jibbs

Realistically, The only you will remain at the work station that you want is if you prove to your sup that you are worthy enough.

Or just :censored2: up whenever they take you off your regular spot, and try to perform flawlessly when you're left alone.

Always works in the end, provided you can find something you're good at (which really shouldn't be hard)...

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Work as directed. I would never put a day 1 guy on sort. I want to know you can do the difficult jobs so in 2 weeks when I have to send you in a trailer you aren't going to mess them up. You have to kind of earn the easier stuff, which you will get with seniority.

box_beeyotch

Work as directed. I would never put a day 1 guy on sort. I want to know you can do the difficult jobs so in 2 weeks when I have to send you in a trailer you aren't going to mess them up. You have to kind of earn the easier stuff, which you will get with seniority.

How can they mess them up? Do you guys not have the scanners yet that pop with a message if a misload is scanned. Sadly we had them for a year of my local sort time and some people STILL got misloads out the ass.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

How can they mess them up? Do you guys not have the scanners yet that pop with a message if a misload is scanned. Sadly we had them for a year of my local sort time and some people STILL got misloads out the ass.
Had a new guy yesterday stack a local package and send it to the hub. I also want well stacked walls. Just toss and go on shouldn't be acceptable here.

Hugo

Champion Sorter
Yeah if you can hack it as a sorter, they instantly love you. It's the hardest job, or at least the one where new hires quit the most since the workout and intense physicality precludes most chumps. Even meatheads, jo ks, and marines quit! Just prove you wanna work fast and they'll wanna keep u around for all types of jobs in the plant.